A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

First B9 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First B9 Test Drive

I'm a 2012 S-Line / 6MT owner and am really looking forward to upgrading my ride.

The B9 offers better performance, better technology, and a slightly better exterior design. Considering how much I love my B8, it would seem that the B9 would be a no-brainer upgrade.

However, I took my first test drive, and I was underwhelmed.

Now, perhaps I was underwhelmed because in part:

But here are some issues I had with the B9 test drive:

The virtual cockpit is cool, but since I've seen it and studied it for months, it was not a "wow" moment for me. It was like, yup, there it is.

I was a bit confused about the value of the capacitive buttons in the center console that give you a "sneak preview" of the options available. Seems a bit too clever by half.

Overall, I felt the car was supremely competent but somehow at the very same time kind of lacking personality.

When I got back into my B8 after the test drive, it was immediately obvious how outdated my car's interior now is. And how relatively slow my car is. But I remain attached to how my B8 communicates the road with me, and how simple/elegant my steering wheel controls are. And while the technology is far less impressive in my current car, it seems far more straightforward and clean.

I am hoping that when I test drive the B9 MT, it will re-connect me with this new A4! Sadly, the dealer had no idea when an MT would be available for a test drive.

Thoughts on my thoughts?
                  Thx.
                  Jon
                  Old 02-20-2017, 06:16 PM
                  AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I never drove a B8 A4, but I traded a B8.5 S5 for my '17 A4 and I am loving it. Color combo makes a huge difference. White/tan is about as boring as you can get. My car is White/Nougat with grey oak and Sport Package w/ 19" wheels and it makes all the difference in the world. With the Sport package the car not only feels fast, but nimble as well. No, the center nav screen doesn't retract, but that hasn't bothered me at all. Keep looking at other A4 configurations. I fell in love with my A4 as soon as I drove it.

If you just don't feel an attachment to it, move on to another brand. We all have our preferences. It is a good time to be a car buyer.
                  Old 02-20-2017, 06:22 PM
                  AudiWorld Member

Sage insights and advice. I am really hoping that a test drive car in the future is closer to the kind of car I'd actually want.

The sales guy literally rolled his eyes at me when I said I wasn't buying an A4 until I checked out the 6MT. That didn't help.

Originally Posted by dseag2
                  I never drove a B8 A4, but I traded a B8.5 S5 for my '17 A4 and I am loving it. Color combo makes a huge difference. White/tan is about as boring as you can get. My car is White/Nougat with grey oak and Sport Package w/ 19" wheels and it makes all the difference in the world. With the Sport package the car not only feels fast, but nimble as well. No, the center nav screen doesn't retract, but that hasn't bothered me at all. Keep looking at other A4 configurations. I fell in love with my A4 as soon as I drove it.

If you just don't feel an attachment to it, move on to another brand. We all have our preferences. It is a good time to be a car buyer.
                  Old 02-20-2017, 06:32 PM
                  AudiWorld Super User

If you are an audiophile at all, you should also test out one with the B&O sound system. It blows away the B&O system in my S5. Test drive one with a Sport Package too. If that doesn't sell you, it's time to move on!

Suffice to say that this is such a perfect all-around car we are seriously considering trading our G37 Vert for an A5 Sportback when the lease is up. The Sportback is pretty much the same car as the A4 in a different body style. I've NEVER in my many years of driving had cars with essentially the same interior and running gear, but this time around I just may.
                  Old 02-20-2017, 06:54 PM
                  AudiWorld Member

I *am* an audiophile, and I love my B&O in my current B8. I tested the B&O in the B9 and it was solid, but there was a distinct buzzing with low frequencies in the rear (could have been a minor issue easily fixed but it did affect my perception of the system).

I was, however, blown away by the voice system allowing me to pick a song just by asking for it on my SD Card. Super cool.

Perhaps the sport package will make all the difference. In my estimation, the 6MT may actually do the trick, combined with the sport package. But good luck to me finding that specific package on the lot to test. We shall see.... I'm hoping that this all comes together because I agree there are so many dimensions where this car package is so compelling that it will be difficult to find another ride that doesn't involve significant sacrifices.

If you are an audiophile at all, you should also test out one with the B&O sound system. It blows away the B&O system in my S5. Test drive one with a Sport Package too. If that doesn't sell you, it's time to move on!

Suffice to say that this is such a perfect all-around car we are seriously considering trading our G37 Vert for an A5 Sportback when the lease is up. The Sportback is pretty much the same car as the A4 in a different body style. I've NEVER in my many years of driving had cars with essentially the same interior and running gear, but this time around I just may.

Last edited by JonDeutsch; 02-20-2017 at 06:57 PM.
                  Old 02-20-2017, 06:55 PM
                  AudiWorld Super User

Hope it works out for you. Keep us posted!
                  Old 02-20-2017, 07:10 PM
                  AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Dseagw2, you really are a very good sales consultant. Looks you already persuad Jon reconsidering this car. lol
                  Old 02-20-2017, 09:14 PM
                  AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Many reviews have stated similar things. That the ride and experience is underwhelming. I can believe that, as sometimes "perfect" cars tend to coddle and protect to the point of becoming boring. I don't think that's a bad thing when all is added up, but it can be a negative if one is looking for engagement.
                  Old 02-20-2017, 10:39 PM
                  AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I White/tan is about as boring as you can get.
                  Well, I quite like my glacier white with tan interior and oak inlays. A light interior not only looks good, but makes the interior seem bigger and keeps things cooler during hot weather.
                  Old 02-21-2017, 11:42 AM
                  AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
                  Perhaps the sport package will make all the difference.
                  Mine is an A4 allroad so it may behave a bit differently, but I have found the suspension to feel soft until pushed--and then firm up instantly. The harder I drove it the better it felt. I am not stranger to sporty cars and while this no Corvette or Porsche it feels fine for its size and weight.

Quick Reply: First B9 Test Drive