A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

How do you like CarPlay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Waze and CarPlay

Anyone know when Waze is coming to CarPlay?

Here is a workaround:
How to: Enable Waze Navigation On Apple CarPlay ? CarPlay Life ? Apple CarPlay News, Installs, Apps and Reviews

Mike
Old 12-02-2016, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carplay/Spotify

Anyone else having an issue with Spotify where you can't see anything more than 200 songs in a playlist via the MMI? I have about 206 songs on a playlist and I can scroll all the way to 200 and then it just stops, no additional songs after that.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:00 AM
djm
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Music browsing bug

Does anyone else have this CarPlay issue? I have a large music library and like to browse by artist. If I scroll down let's say to the M's, then click on an artist, then decide that's not what I was looking for and press the back (return) button... it takes me all the way back to the A's again. And not actually to the first artist, to the fifth. It's always Aerosmith. I haven't listened to Aerosmith in 20 years but maybe I better get back to it.

It happens every single time. The only time it doesn't happen is if I actually play something within the artist before clicking the back button. No change between iOS 9 and 10. It seems like too obvious of a bug for Apple to let out the door. I figure it's Audi's implementation of the scroll wheel somehow. Is it just me?
Old 12-15-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by djm
Does anyone else have this CarPlay issue? I have a large music library and like to browse by artist. If I scroll down let's say to the M's, then click on an artist, then decide that's not what I was looking for and press the back (return) button... it takes me all the way back to the A's again. And not actually to the first artist, to the fifth. It's always Aerosmith. I haven't listened to Aerosmith in 20 years but maybe I better get back to it.

It happens every single time. The only time it doesn't happen is if I actually play something within the artist before clicking the back button. No change between iOS 9 and 10. It seems like too obvious of a bug for Apple to let out the door. I figure it's Audi's implementation of the scroll wheel somehow. Is it just me?
YES - it drives me crazy and I've been meaning to post about it here in the hopes that I'm missing a setting or move that avoids it. When the phone is connected via usb then I can easily click back and still be within the album or artist and not back to A. But Carplay has me doing a lot more unnecessary clicking and re-scrolling and thus distracted driving!
Anyone have a solution?
Old 12-15-2016, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by djm
It seems like too obvious of a bug for Apple to let out the door. I figure it's Audi's implementation of the scroll wheel somehow. Is it just me?
Perhaps you should report this to Apple:

Feedback - iPhone - Apple
Old 12-19-2016, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I actually like it as I used my phone for nav (don't have the MMI pkg and didn't want it - well, the MMI cluster display would have been cool!) in my previous 535xi even when I had nav integrated. I still prefer Apple maps for nav. And, you certainly can make calls when it's connected.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eric5273
You can do both of those things without CarPlay. Just press and hold the voice control button on the steering wheel and it will prompt Siri. Then it basically works the same as CarPlay from that point. If you tell Siri to "Play Beastie Boys", then just switch the MMI to "Media" mode and it will be playing the Beastie Boys.
thanks @eric5273 I'll try it again and see if I can get used to it. How about messages.... can text messages be shown on screen as they come in? Or do I have to have Siri read it to me?
Old 12-19-2016, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by exboy
thanks @eric5273 I'll try it again and see if I can get used to it. How about messages.... can text messages be shown on screen as they come in? Or do I have to have Siri read it to me?
The native MMI phone functionality will display the actual text, but the only option with CarPlay is to have Siri read it to you.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I absolutely love CarPlay and it's - no joke - a major factor in our car purchasing. I think there's a little bit of a misunderstanding about the capabilities of CarPlay in this thread. It's meant to give you a very similar level of app functionality while in your car vs. on your phone. So, for instance, if you use Apple Music, you'll be able to freely browse your playlists, look at suggested albums/artists, etc. If you're into audio books through Audible, there's an Audible app that allows you to view your entire library, switch easily between books, etc. In Maps, you can just say "Hey Siri", say something like "give me directions to the nearest Audi dealership", and you're off. It's much faster and much more accurate than the MMI system. All this ease-of-use is just not possible through MMI (at least that I know of). As CarPlay gets more popular and more apps build in CarPlay functionality, it's just essentially going to be like an extension of your phone on the MMI.

So for me I barely use MMI. The only thing I use it for is navigation and I only do that because I like having the directions show up on the virtual cockpit. Once that novelty sort of wears off, I'll likely be back to using Maps in CarPlay again. Or, if Audi finally allows CarPlay navigation to extend into the virtual cockpit, I'll just stick with CarPlay with everything.

And the best part is, since all of our cars (BMWs and Audis) now have CarPlay, the interface is now completely consistent among cars. I don't have to fiddle around with different systems. Same applies if I'm renting a car. Just rent a Carplay-compatible car and at least the infotainment system experience is almost exactly as it is in my own cars.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't wait for the 10.3 iOS update which will add better movement between apps.

Quick Reply: How do you like CarPlay?