A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Just installed the 034 Motorsport strut brace

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Awesome! Glad you saw the benefits right away. Thanks for posting your findings!
+1. I also think its helpful and appreciated when members post their findings - good, bad or in between.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed mine yesterday. If there was ever a beginner upgrade project this was it. I did a couple of quick local drives with it afterwards and thought maybe I felt a difference, but the placebo effect would have caused that no matter what. I look forward to driving on the highway on a windy day to see if I notice the difference.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sprior
I installed mine yesterday. If there was ever a beginner upgrade project this was it. I did a couple of quick local drives with it afterwards and thought maybe I felt a difference, but the placebo effect would have caused that no matter what. I look forward to driving on the highway on a windy day to see if I notice the difference.
Yup. It is a very easy install. You don't even need the PDF to do it.

And yes. It does make the car slightly stiffer. It also eliminated flex when I back out and climb onto my drive.

Regarding the wind thing. It did make a significant difference to my car. My car now feels much better. But very strong winds still manage to unsettle it a bit though nothing like how it used to before. Just yesterday we went to a mall 2 hrs away and I had to pass through roads which has huge empty fields on either sides. There were really very strong winds (so bad that the cars in front of me where struggling to track straight and a pickup even went onto the wrong side of the road; I could see a few trees had actually bent to one side because of the strong wind). All I had to do was hold onto the steering tight and I could drive easily. I know that if it was before, my car would also probably have been on the wrong side of the road.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sprior

its like a damn piece of art up in the engine bay. now if only we could get a cool replacement for the motor cover to perfect the engine bay.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I assume the black 'mesh' panel is easily removable?
Old 03-29-2017, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by rmur23
You don't need to remove it, just lift it up and you can get to the nuts easily.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rmur23
Consider this likely the one time you'll reach up under a mesh skirt expecting to find nuts.

Last edited by sprior; 03-29-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
You don't need to remove it, just lift it up and you can get to the nuts easily.
That's what she said.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'm late to this thread. I haven't been on the forum in a few weeks and just noticed this thread....

I guess I'm not a believer in strut tower braces. Back in 1997 I purchased a new BMW Z3, which at the time was one of the better handling cars on the road. First mod I made was to buy a strut tower brace.

I had read how it should tighten up the handling. And I'm sure there was a very small, if unnoticeable difference, but the only real difference I could tell was how choppier the ride became over bumps. Instead of the independent suspension absorbing a bump, the front drove like a solid axle vehicle and when the right tire went over a bump, it was transferred across the whole car.

After about a month, I took off the strut tower brace and sold it to someone else. I suppose it is different for each vehicle, but after that experience, I've never again purchased a strut tower brace. I had much better experiences with beefing up the sway bars -- that actually produces a noticeable difference.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Not to throw doubts on the strut tower mod. Just my pure curiosity. The new S4 also has the same stock brace as the A4. Wondering why Audi would do that to make S4 a sportier car if the tower brace have profound handling improvement.

Quick Reply: Just installed the 034 Motorsport strut brace