License plate screws are too long

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by stakex
It'd be great if the color matched the plastic! haha
Maybe Rick and Morty head stickers...

Audi corporate called me about this but I haven't had a chance to talk. I'm hoping they're willing to make change on this or even maybe get the grille replaced too.
I'm sure they will try and help you and make it right. Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coincidentally, there's good news.

I was able to speak to Audi corporate today and they're actually aware of this issue internally. They're in the process of arranging to fix my A4 though I'm not sure exactly what they're going to do (replace the entire grille or just the one section, or fill in the holes to match color).

The rep I spoke to said they're in the process of letting the dealers know that this is an actual problem and instruct them use the correct screws for mounting front plates. I also let the rep know my level of dissatisfaction from the purchasing dealership and their indifference towards me or the issue by saying this was by design. They're clearly not handling this fix. I've already specified a different dealership to go to.

Thanks for the support. I'll certainly keep this post updated as it goes on.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is good news. You'll have to let us know how they end up fixing it.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coincidentally, there's good news.

I was able to speak to Audi corporate today and they're actually aware of this issue internally. They're in the process of arranging to fix my A4 though I'm not sure exactly what they're going to do (replace the entire grille or just the one section, or fill in the holes to match color).

The rep I spoke to said they're in the process of letting the dealers know that this is an actual problem and instruct them use the correct screws for mounting front plates. I also let the rep know my level of dissatisfaction from the purchasing dealership and their indifference towards me or the issue by saying this was by design. They're clearly not handling this fix. I've already specified a different dealership to go to.

Thanks for the support. I'll certainly keep this post updated as it goes on.
That's good news. Good for you that you persevered. And good that someone further up the food chain at Audi has a brain they're putting to good use. As for the dealership, you've made the right decision. Something similar happened to me, and I insisted the incompetent dealership send the replacement part (mirror housing which they broke trying to install it) to another Audi dealership who handled it professionally.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I got nowhere with the manager with this one. He seems to claim this is by design from Audi. I'm really not sure about this and I couldn't disagree more with their claim. He argued his point for a good 10 minutes that this is "standard" and "normal". He also claimed that this is to ensure that the plate is securely mounted in front but that doesn't make sense either. The screws are 1" long and could barely penetrate the plastic grille leaving indents and second, there are two perfectly strong screws holding the plate holder in place. If they were 2" or more, I could understand.

For now, I'm going to not recommend this dealership anymore even though they've had good reviews online and elsewhere. I will not be using their services.

I'll escalate this to Audi and see what they say. Otherwise, I may just have the grille replaced or fixed somehow.

For agrument's sake, if you have taken delivery of an B9 and your state requires front plates, write in the comments how long the screws were and if there's any holes or dents to the front grille (the area between the chrome accents)
"For now, I'm going to not recommend this dealership anymore..."
WHICH DEALERSHIP ??
Old 07-22-2016, 12:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After a few updates from Audi, another dealer has a new grille on order. I will be getting that installed once the part arrives, possibly next week. Also getting a new rear plate holder as well since the plastic mounting holes are stripped from them using a power drill.

I appreciate the effort that Audi corporate went to get this all arranged and I'm happy with the resolution once everything is fixed. I didn't think they'd take care of the issue but I'm very pleased that I was wrong.

I'll update date one more time when the car's all fixed up.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was given a call that the new grille is in and ready for install. They said it'd take about a day to replace it and then more time to re-calibrate the ACC. I'm unsure of what's needed to calibrate it so I took their word for it.

They were kind of interested in the issue since no one else has brought it up before, at least, in person. I think they were more happy they weren't paying for it. It's $700 plus labor.

The rep also said that the screws are off the shelf and not provided by Audi (so there goes my original dealer's argument). Second, it's also common that the rear plate holder screw mounts get stripped because they use power drills instead of an old fashioned screwdriver. He commented that his guys do the same thing. I've asked Audi to replace that as well since it'd be pain to remove if I ever need to.

Anyway, Audi corporate has been very responsive and it was greatly appreciated since this was brand new vehicle. This is one of the rare times that the corporate side of things made things right. The effort and courtesy was greatly appreciated after one dealer's mishandling of the situation.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was given a call that the new grille is in and ready for install. They said it'd take about a day to replace it and then more time to re-calibrate the ACC. I'm unsure of what's needed to calibrate it so I took their word for it.

They were kind of interested in the issue since no one else has brought it up before, at least, in person. I think they were more happy they weren't paying for it. It's $700 plus labor.

The rep also said that the screws are off the shelf and not provided by Audi (so there goes my original dealer's argument). Second, it's also common that the rear plate holder screw mounts get stripped because they use power drills instead of an old fashioned screwdriver. He commented that his guys do the same thing. I've asked Audi to replace that as well since it'd be pain to remove if I ever need to.

Anyway, Audi corporate has been very responsive and it was greatly appreciated since this was brand new vehicle. This is one of the rare times that the corporate side of things made things right. The effort and courtesy was greatly appreciated after one dealer's mishandling of the situation.
Good to hear that Audi of America took good care of you, I would avoid that other dealership for the future.