A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

The most annoying thing so far...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The A4 will be my wife's car. I drive a 2011 Ram 1500. I have inadvertently started it with the remote more than once - sometimes I knew because I heard it (it honks 2x, then starts), others only because I got the message when I got in that the remote start had timed out (it will only run before x mins before it shuts off). At least it won't start unless the doors are locked - a waste of fuel, but not an "open door" (or trunk).
Old 10-20-2016, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I can definitely understand how for the OP, from where he sits (figuratively speaking) and his daily interactions with the car, these quirks would be of legitimate concern to him. But until a large number of us begin experiencing these same fob/trunk issues, there's little hope of getting anything from Audi so help those who are affected.

The same basic key fob design was first introduced decades ago (by Mercedes, I think) and has since become the preferred fob structure of choice for most car companies - compact, square/rectangular in shape and form, with raised or embossed buttons on one or both sides.

While it may not apply to what the OP is experiencing, "user error" is quite frequently the real culprit causing people to experience key fob button annoyances. And by "user error" I'm talking about the things we don't pay attention to that can have an effect on key fob and it's buttons like:

- the fit of "skinny jeans"
- anything in a pocket that is NOT flat like paper (gum, other keys, etc)
- quantity and/or shape of the coins you're carrying
- the corner edges of a cell phone
- practically any of the contents rolling around in a purse or bag
- cigarette lighter
- pens/pencils/markers

Whatever it is that's causing the OP's frustration with the fob, this is exactly what would make it stop...... OSIR Design USA-OSIR - Muzzero Key Fob Cover The only problem is that they haven't yet updated the product design to fit the fobs that come with the new gen A4's.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Has not happened to me once since getting my B9.

One thing I do though, since I don't really need the key for anything other than to have it "on" me, (I can lock, unlock doors and open the trunk with foot action), I always have the key off of my key ring and placed in in a secure pocket by itself. I never touch it until I get home and put it away. It never gets any "phantom presses".

Now, granted, the reason I started doing this with my A4 fob was because I always seem to be dropping my keys and I didn't want to wreck my A4 key or make it inoperative because I'm sure they cost a ton of cash at the dealership to replace. But it seems this practice could have another advantage.

Dave
Old 10-20-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W
Has not happened to me once since getting my B9.

One thing I do though, since I don't really need the key for anything other than to have it "on" me, (I can lock, unlock doors and open the trunk with foot action), I always have the key off of my key ring and placed in in a secure pocket by itself. I never touch it until I get home and put it away. It never gets any "phantom presses".

Now, granted, the reason I started doing this with my A4 fob was because I always seem to be dropping my keys and I didn't want to wreck my A4 key or make it inoperative because I'm sure they cost a ton of cash at the dealership to replace. But it seems this practice could have another advantage.

Dave
+1

I always put my fob in one of my pockets alone without anything in there for the sake of scratching up the fob more than anything. I never had issues with my B8 either. Sometimes we just have to adjust to new things.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sixsence
I'm just frustrated. It's a stupid problem to have to worry about. It's the first time I've had to worry about this with a car. The worst thing before was setting off the car alarm, but I always knew immediately when it happened.

And it's even worse because there's really no need for the button at all if you use the auto unlock and hands free features for opening the trunk.
Yeah, I know how you feel. Ever since I owned a 2011 VW GTI which comes with a similar size key FOB as our Audis, I have been having issues with carrying too much stuff with me especially when I am wearing jeans. I have the following:
1. Wallet. It is compact but annoying when wearing jeans which have a snug fit. Especially when I am seated in the car and behind the wheel.
2. Our Key FOBs: Annoying because of its size and bulk. Can't manufacturers come up with a thin credit-card like secure RFID device. In today's tech and with keyless entry, that should not be an issue.
3. House keys.
4. Cell Phone: It used to be that small is en vogue. Now, the bigger the better. I have a Samsung Note 1 that I have owned for 4 years. It is annoying as hell to carry around especially when I am not wearing a jacket.

I have contemplated about this problem and I came up with some solutions:
1. Carry a small satchel or messenger bag (no, it is not a man purse!). Again, annoying because I don't like having a bag with me at all times. But, in this day and age of large key FOBs and large phones, I need to follow the metro-sexual approach to carrying stuff. It is a good thing I live in Vancouver which has an atmosphere more like San Francisco where a man purse or satchel bag is en-vogue. You won't see me carrying a satchel bag in Idaho.

2. If I am with my wife and she has her shoulder bag, I get her to store my phone, keys, and wallet in her bag. The key FOB I keep in my pant packet with nothing else to avoid anything scratching it or accidentally pressing its buttons.

3. I have just purchased two cargo pants with leg pockets. I now wear them more than I wear jeans or carry a satchel bag. Lots of pockets to store stuff including my phone.

Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative. - H.G. Wells
Old 10-20-2016, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Strife1013
+1

I always put my fob in one of my pockets alone without anything in there for the sake of scratching up the fob more than anything. I never had issues with my B8 either. Sometimes we just have to adjust to new things.
Good plan.

I think the Engineers at Audi wanted us to keep the A4 fob off of a key ring too. Isn't this compartment on the console between the seats designed to hold just the fob? That's what I always thought it was for 😀

Dave
Attached Thumbnails The most annoying thing so far...-photo824.jpg  
Old 10-20-2016, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Audi makes bulky key FOBs so you would buy this nice Cup Holder Insert. According to the Audi sell sheet:

Audi owners obsess over the fit and finish of their vehicles. It’s that eye for detail that called them to Audi in the first place. And only the Audi original cup holder insert is specifically molded to suit Audi interiors. Precisely measured. Polished in presentation. It’s an elegant, personalized touch that keeps small items organized — the key fob, for example — while preserving the sophistication of the cabin.
Cost: Around $40 or $50, I think.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I had this happen twice shortly after we bought our BMW. I got a key fob cover which protects the buttons from being pushed accidentally. No issues since. The fob is a bit bulkier but worth the piece of mind. No issues with the fobs on our Q5 or A6 though.
Which one did you get?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gguy
Which one did you get?
The one I got for the BMW has hard sides that allows the fob to swing out of the holder for manually accessing the buttons. I haven't needed a cover for either of the Audis. I got the fob at the dealer since they were having a sale on accessories. Otherwise, Amazon has a lot of them for various makes.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sixsence
I call bs on you claiming you've not once inadvertently had a button pressed while in your pocket, but more power to you. I guess you have nothing to worry about.
You can call BS all you want but it's true. I can also add it hasn't happened with any key fob for any vehicle I've owned. I even have other stuff in the same pocket.

Searching the internet it appears many people have issues with locking/unlocking/trunk opening with all kinds of cars.

Tight clothing maybe? I just don't get it.

But to hopefully provide you with some help. There is a valet button inside the glove box. When that is pressed the trunk will not open. It's not a great solution as the trunk won't open at all until you turn off valet.

Quick Reply: The most annoying thing so far...