A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Need help with Apple CarPlay...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Apple CarPlay...

My CarPlay feature seems to have gone AWOL. Plug iPhone into usb, but no longer any sign of "CarPlay" option on Main Menu?? Phone is charging so the connection is there....as is the bluetooth connection.
TIA...
Old 05-23-2016, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Go to Settings / Connection Manager and confirm that it is connected properly
Old 05-23-2016, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Go to Settings / Connection Manager and confirm that it is connected properly
Correct. If you told it to disconnect car play with your phone, then you will need to go into connection manager and select your phone again.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had some transient connection issues with CarPlay. There have been a few times it doesn't show up despite the USB connection, and a couple of times where the sound cuts out when playing from Music.

I'm a big Apple fan but have been entirely unimpressed with CarPlay. The need for a wired connection is archaic and the fact that is so dependent on Siri doesn't help. I find the technology in the Audi takes care of most anything I'd ever use in CarPlay.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbuffs
I've had some transient connection issues with CarPlay. There have been a few times it doesn't show up despite the USB connection, and a couple of times where the sound cuts out when playing from Music.

I'm a big Apple fan but have been entirely unimpressed with CarPlay. The need for a wired connection is archaic and the fact that is so dependent on Siri doesn't help. I find the technology in the Audi takes care of most anything I'd ever use in CarPlay.
I agree MMI is more sophisticated. I just wish it could handle apps in the way that BMW's iDrive does with Spotify, I only use Apple CarPlay for selecting playlist etc. in Spotify. But I have found that the quality of USB cable is key to continuity, I just switched to Anker Lightning cables that are Kevlar and high quality copper for quick transfers, I haven't had a single connection drop since I switched.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

while my car links via bluetooth, it is no longer listed as an option under the "Connection Manager" ??? Thus, CarPlay feature is no longer available or recognized when I plug iPhone into usb port??
Old 05-23-2016, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Try the following:
- On the iPhone go to Settings/General/CarPlay and forget any existing car it has listed
- On the MMI go to Menu/Settings/Connection Manager, scroll down to Audi Smartphone, click the MMI wheel, select the first listed device, right button, delete, repeat with all other devices listed
- Plug in your phone via USB, the MMI should prompt you to Activate CarPlay, click Activate, click Agree, unlock you iPhone if prompted, enjoy

To revert to using the USB ports for charging only:
- On the MMI go to Menu/Settings/Connection Manager, select Audi smartphone, click the MMI wheel, uncheck your iPhone

Last edited by DirkM; 05-23-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Guys...I reloaded all factory settings, cleared everything out, and (somehow) got CarPlay back.
I'm probably not technologically savvy enough to give my opinion, but thus far, I've found this feature to be very quirky, temperamental, and possibly "not ready for prime time".
Old 05-24-2016, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had good luck with Carplay so far but I do notice it takes a minute or two after I plug it in and start the car for it to be available.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dmac
Thanks Guys...I reloaded all factory settings, cleared everything out, and (somehow) got CarPlay back.
I'm probably not technologically savvy enough to give my opinion, but thus far, I've found this feature to be very quirky, temperamental, and possibly "not ready for prime time".
Make sure you have an apple certifies usb cable

Quick Reply: Need help with Apple CarPlay...