A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

S-Line with 19" Wheels...Extremely rough ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the 18s and I must say ride quality is pretty good. Certainly not rough. My car is a non-sport model and even with the base suspension, ride quality was decent enough. I never felt the need to change the suspension or tyres because of ride quality. I've lowered the car now and ride quality is still as good as stock.

Originally Posted by minmet
Just saw you posted on the "rough at low rpm thread" Sorry to see that you have that much trouble with your new car! Hope your dealer will find the actual cause and hand you a smooth running A4.
I agree. Seems like he has a lot of problem with his car. Looks like his dealer screwed him over with a faulty car or he was expecting too much (which I don't think is the correct answer here since, from my experience, this is one of the best cars you can buy for around $49k). I hope the OP has driven a couple of other B9s as well to see if those cars have it too.
I love my A4 more than my A7. Speaks loads about it.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually keep thinking that, maybe I'm just being unreasonable as the car obviously works and drives but I like to think not, was excited as can be to get my hands on this car I really do want to love it. My previous cars were a Honda, an Infiniti and two Subarus and none seemed to have these issues and I was just as OCD with those as well. Definitely the type of guy that once I see it I can't unsee it no matter how much I want to!

The bounce/vibration is undeniable as the dealer did replace 4 tires only a few days in. That was the only time I had another B9 loaner but having had the car only a couple days I wasn't attentive to much.

I work at a transit company surrounded by mechanics and gearheads and the verdict is 50/50 among everyone who has driven it whether the issues are real or just quirks of the car so that's not much help.

Scheduled to go back in next week at which point I'll have another loaner to compare against and I'll also hear what the dealer says. Stay tuned, will report back whether I'm insane or not
Old 03-28-2017, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Ask the dealer to let you test drive another one with 19" tires and sport suspension same as yours see if you feel the same way. Another note, I see you have the Hankook tires. Those are max/extreme performance summer tires. For the current climate in Toronto, I would imagine those Hankook are probably "hard as rock" and harsh as run flat tires.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I personally find the ride with sport +19 Hankook tires very good, not rough at all.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are max/extreme performance summer tires. For the current climate in Toronto, I would imagine those Hankook are probably "hard as rock" and harsh as run flat tires.
BINGO!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wait. I didn't know those were summert tyres. In the cold, im guessing it hardens up a lot, contributing to the harshness? Im running the stock Pirelli all seasons and I didn't change it to winter tyres. I even used it to drive in the snow and it felt comfortable enough. Could that be it?
Old 03-28-2017, 01:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ask the dealer to let you test drive another one with 19" tires and sport suspension same as yours see if you feel the same way. Another note, I see you have the Hankook tires. Those are max/extreme performance summer tires. For the current climate in Toronto, I would imagine those Hankook are probably "hard as rock" and harsh as run flat tires.
I wanted to blame alot of it on the tires as well but it's not that cold, it's hovering around 5 degrees. After 80km on the highway they'd have to be reasonably warm enough for it to not be a problem no? What temperature would you rule that out at?
Old 03-28-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

5C is not cold for an all season tire. But it is certainly still cold for a Extreme performance tire. Like I said, test drive another same equipped car then you will know if it's your car's problem or the setup problem for your like.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

They say anything below 45F is all season/winter tyre season. I believe 5C is around 41F. If so, you need all season atleast and not summer tyres. Summer tyres harden up at those temperatures and that could make the ride rough and also cause cracks (some that you might not notice). It is necessary to use the right tyres at the right times.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
They say anything below 45F is all season/winter tyre season. I believe 5C is around 41F. If so, you need all season atleast and not summer tyres. Summer tyres harden up at those temperatures and that could make the ride rough and also cause cracks (some that you might not notice). It is necessary to use the right tyres at the right times.
Agree 100% about the right tires for the job, only got the car a month ago when it was starting to warm up a bit so I got cheap and figured I could put off buying a winter set until next year. Should be warming up soon so we'll see if it's really the tires.

Interested to really pay attention to the loaner when I drop the car off next week and see what's what.

Quick Reply: S-Line with 19" Wheels...Extremely rough ride?