A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Sport Package??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Package??

Today I test drove the A4 Premium Plus with the sport package. Unfortunately the dealer did not have any demos without the sport package for me to drive.

At first glance, the only thing in the sport package that is a "must" for me is the black headliner. However, I plan to order the brown leather interior, and that comes with the black headliner automatically. I sat in a car without the sport package, and the seats did not feel any less comfortable than the sport seats.

So it all then comes down to the suspension. Has anyone here driven the A4 both with and without the sport suspension? I know there is a third option which is the adaptive suspension, but I'm not getting a prestige, so that is not an option. I wish to compare the sport suspension with the base suspension.

The car I drove (with the sport suspension) handled great, and also was pretty smooth over rough road. I would imagine that without the sport suspension, the handling would be a little less and the ride would be a bit smoother. But is there is a big difference or is the difference minor?
Old 06-28-2016, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eric5273
Today I test drove the A4 Premium Plus with the sport package. Unfortunately the dealer did not have any demos without the sport package for me to drive.

At first glance, the only thing in the sport package that is a "must" for me is the black headliner. However, I plan to order the brown leather interior, and that comes with the black headliner automatically. I sat in a car without the sport package, and the seats did not feel any less comfortable than the sport seats.

So it all then comes down to the suspension. Has anyone here driven the A4 both with and without the sport suspension? I know there is a third option which is the adaptive suspension, but I'm not getting a prestige, so that is not an option. I wish to compare the sport suspension with the base suspension.

The car I drove (with the sport suspension) handled great, and also was pretty smooth over rough road. I would imagine that without the sport suspension, the handling would be a little less and the ride would be a bit smoother. But is there is a big difference or is the difference minor?
Something you should also be aware of is that the standard suspension has giant wheel gaps that look pretty unappealing in my opinion. It's like a full 9 inches between the tire and the wheel well. Sports suspension causes the car to look much more low profile and sporty compared to looking like an SUV. Take a look at pictures of cars on dealer websites with and without sports package and see if you notice the difference and if it matters to you personally. You can also see a great example of it in the Consumer Reports First Drive of the Audi A4.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OHWHATDA
Something you should also be aware of is that the standard suspension has giant wheel gaps that look pretty unappealing in my opinion. It's like a full 9 inches between the tire and the wheel well. Sports suspension causes the car to look much more low profile and sporty compared to looking like an SUV. Take a look at pictures of cars on dealer websites with and without sports package and see if you notice the difference and if it matters to you personally. You can also see a great example of it in the Consumer Reports First Drive of the Audi A4.
Nine inches ??? - Seriously ???
My Prestige with 18" rims, All Season tires, & standard suspension has just under 3 inches between the top of the tire & the bottom of the fender.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OHWHATDA
I have sport with 19 in wheels and the wheel gap is only 2.5 inches and the sport suspension only lowers the car .91 inches so it's physically impossible for the gap be even close to "like 9 inches" in my opinion the sport seats, black headliner and lower suspension is the best $750 you can spend.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

It is not 9 inches. That is a gross exaggeration. And the cars will all settle once some miles get on them.

Also note that 23mm ride height reduction does not mean 23mm of wheel gap reduction.

If you don't care about the seats (also note that sport package gives you power lumbar for your passenger), and you are worried about the ride quality, then go for one without and save the money. Brown interior comes standard with a black headliner.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
I have sport with 19 in wheels and the wheel gap is only 2.5 inches and the sport suspension only lowers the car .91 inches so it's physically impossible for the gap be even close to "like 9 inches" in my opinion the sport seats, black headliner and lower suspension is the best $750 you can spend.
Would you mind posting some pictures?
Old 06-28-2016, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
Also note that 23mm ride height reduction does not mean 23mm of wheel gap reduction.
Please explain.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eric5273
Has anyone here driven the A4 both with and without the sport suspension?
I drove both back to back, but really didn't notice that much of a difference on the fairly short test drive to be honest. I think your thought that the handling will not be as tight with a slightly softer/smoother ride is accurate. I have been riding on the Audi Sport Suspension for 12 years in two different cars before this one. I got the Sport Package again, but I prefer the lower ride. I also think this one feels less stiff than my last car, but that could also be because it's new and not a car with a 6.5 year old suspension with over 50k miles.

Last edited by Nullman; 06-28-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nullman
I drove both back to back, but really didn't notice that much of a difference on the fairly short test drive to be honest.
My salesman said there is not a huge difference between the two suspensions, and that you would only notice a small difference if driving them back to back. He suggested skipping the sport package.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

The difference is noticeable in my opinion. You should really drive both. You may prefer the standard suspension though.

Quick Reply: Sport Package??