A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Weird Windshield Wiper Issue (stuttering)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird Windshield Wiper Issue (stuttering)

Can anyone else test this on their car...
Basically the windshield wipers are stuttering only on the way down AND ONLY when turning them off.

So if they are running continuously there is no stutter(continuous or intermittent), but once you shut them off, the wipe right before they are turned off will stutter. Or they will stutter everytime you do the courtesy wipe(pressing down on the lever).

Even in heavy rain they are doing this.

So it seems like when the wiper motor is shut off its like the wipers are pressed harder on the windshield causing them to stutter.

Car only has 2500 miles so the wipers are good.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

can anyone test this quick?
Old 12-07-2016, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bengtc
can anyone test this quick?
I've used the wiper a few times yesterday and day before but didn't notice it stuttering.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I've used the wiper a few times yesterday and day before but didn't notice it stuttering.
Can you just do the courtesy wipe, pressing the lever down once...and see if it stutters?
Old 12-07-2016, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I park my car outdoors and use my windshield wipers pretty much every time I get in the car. Something always conspires to get my windshield dirty enough that I need to pull the stalk and use wiper fluid to clean it. My wipers never stutter or chatter.

Have you tried cleaning the windshield really well. Maybe there's a coating of something that got splashed up on your car when you were driving.

This is a great glass cleaner. It's alcohol based so it doesn't streak and strips everything off. A lot of tint shops use it to get the windows squeaky clean. It can be bought just about anywhere. Supermarket, Walmart and Home Depot to name a few.
Glass Cleaner | Sprayway Inc., Pioneers in Aerosols since 1947

Last edited by up-n-coming; 12-07-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by up-n-coming
I park my car outdoors and use my windshield wipers pretty much every time I get in the car. Something always conspires to get my windshield dirty enough that I need to pull the stalk and use wiper fluid to clean it. My wipers never stutter or chatter.

Have you tried cleaning the windshield really well. Maybe there's a coating of something that got splashed up on your car when you were driving.

This is a great glass cleaner. It's alcohol based so it doesn't streak and strips everything off. A lot of tint shops use it to get the windows squeaky clean. It can be bought just about anywhere. Supermarket, Walmart and Home Depot to name a few.
The tint shop that I use uses Sprayway too. Ammonia-free so you can use it on tinted windows.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bengtc
Can you just do the courtesy wipe, pressing the lever down once...and see if it stutters?
Tried the courtesy wipe today. No stuttering. Try cleaning the blade as well as the windshield. Though if it was either, the stuttering should be present all the time.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by up-n-coming

Ya cleaned them and applied rain-x. The wipers only stutter when they are turned off, so the last wipe when turned off will stutter. If I keep the wipers on there is no stuttering. So just the courtesy wipe and when I shut them off from being on, it will stutter when the wipers go back down. So I think it may be related to the motor...
Old 12-10-2016, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I guess I spoke too soon. Or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention the last time. I noticed the wiper stutter when returning in the courtesy wipe option yesterday. I hadn't noticed it till now so I'm not sure it's a new thing or whether it was there before and I never noticed it.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I guess I spoke too soon. Or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention the last time. I noticed the wiper stutter when returning in the courtesy wipe option yesterday. I hadn't noticed it till now so I'm not sure it's a new thing or whether it was there before and I never noticed it.
I think it has something to do withthe motor. If you just turn the wipers on there won't be any stutter, it seems it will only stutter when the wipers are turned off