Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2011 A6 aux and ac fans "short to ground"

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

VCDS was reporting what occurred at the time (a short), not what the state was afterward (open circuit). That's typical of many fault codes.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
VCDS was reporting what occurred at the time (a short), not what the state was afterward (open circuit). That's typical of many fault codes.
So although you clear the fault code, the error still shows even though there is no short? That is actually quite clever:
Short creates problem.
Code is set.
Fault is now open but remains reporting short until a resistance is recognized.

It is good for diagnostics because it will continue to point to the issue even though the subsequent issue is the opposite. I would be willing to bet that there is only one error code - Short, even though it maybe Open.

Many people state issues inverted but I'm surprised that the Germans didn't allow for both conditions.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
So although you clear the fault code, the error still shows even though there is no short? That is actually quite clever:
Short creates problem.
Code is set.

It is good for diagnostics because it will continue to point to the issue even though the subsequent issue is the opposite. I would be willing to bet that there is only one error code - Short, even though it maybe Open.

Many people state issues inverted but I'm surprised that the Germans didn't allow for both conditions.
Since it only reports one condition, I'd prefer the one that caused the problem. A short. I would think continuing to report that is more useful in determining the cause of the issue. For example, you wouldn't gain much insight if VCDS reported a "fuse has blown". I would rather it pointed to the thing that caused it to blow in the first place. Both conditions would be nice but it is what it is.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbult
In the meantime I have now found three others that had the same issue. One who brought it to the dealer for a $2500 repair where they also replaced one fan. One had 72k miles and one with 55k. I'll respond to this thread if I have another failure or if anyone has any questions...
Sorry to hear about this. Do you know what model year A6 the other 3 you found had ?
Old 07-25-2016, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DB22
Short creates problem.
Code is set.

FYI, after the event and saving the report, I cleared the codes and the short to ground code did not come up. This was before I replaced the fuses. So I think the event caused a 40 amp draw, tripped the fuses and the code. Still working fine after multiple hot days in traffic. Though I have not tried to reproduce the circumstances/event that caused the fuses to blow. Nor will I.

-m
Old 07-25-2016, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Everyone that I have heard of experiencing this problem also had 2012 model years. I also had my thermostat fail at about 25k miles, FYI. Replaced under warranty.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i have thew same fault code, but to ONE of the fan not both, pulled off the brace to check the fuse and yep one of them is blown....

great post THANKS!
Old 11-18-2019, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome! Seriously glad it helped.

-m