Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 A6 Valve Cover Gasket DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 A6 Valve Cover Gasket DIY

2012 a6 3.0t here. How's everyone doing? Hopefully well. So here it is...

I am burning oil about 1qt every 1000-1500 miles MAX! I know this is not normal because I am smelling burning as well. I've read somewhere that this is likely a valve cover gasket or camshaft cap or seal but can't seem to find the thread again. Any thoughts and if so, can you point me in the direction of a diagram or better yet, video?

I'm not seeing any smoke anywhere and no drip underneath the car. Gonna order the gaskets online and start there. Try my luck. I'd also like recommendations on parts if you don't mind.

Thanks a million in advance guys/gals. I really appreciate all the advice and info I pick up on this site. Its been nothing but help
Old 09-22-2016, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you ever performed a job like this before? Modern engines have a lot more going on that engines of bygone years. There are so many parts, cables, and connections, that you could easily mess things up, if you're not extremely careful and fastidious.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nakedhoof
Have you ever performed a job like this before? Modern engines have a lot more going on that engines of bygone years. There are so many parts, cables, and connections, that you could easily mess things up, if you're not extremely careful and fastidious.
Im pretty savvy when it comes to mechanics. Done a long list of jobs but extra info always helps.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A6Nube
Im pretty savvy when it comes to mechanics. Done a long list of jobs but extra info always helps.
Personally, I would get the factory service manual before performing this task. I already own it, so that's irrelevant to this discussion. It's only $69.99 at factory-manuals.com. You can also get what you need for less, but it will require an investment of time, and a lot of guesswork making sure that you get all of the relevant pages for the job. Personally, I opted to pay the 70 simolians, and get the whole thing fast, and formatted for my specific vehicle.
Check mt thread on service manuals in this forum:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...anual-2906937/
Old 09-22-2016, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You say you can smell oil burning. Check both sides above the header to find where it's leaking. It could be something simple like a oil pressure sender leak.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the oil filter housing first.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nakedhoof
Personally, I would get the factory service manual before performing this task. I already own it, so that's irrelevant to this discussion. It's only $69.99 at factory-manuals.com. You can also get what you need for less, but it will require an investment of time, and a lot of guesswork making sure that you get all of the relevant pages for the job. Personally, I opted to pay the 70 simolians, and get the whole thing fast, and formatted for my specific vehicle.
Check mt thread on service manuals in this forum:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...anual-2906937/
I have the factory service repair manuals but mine only refer to upper engine components such as removal/installation of throttle body, supercharger, knock sensors, intake flaps etc. But after reviewing for valve cover removal I don't find this section.
Can you confirm that you indeed have this section or are you just assuming it's included? Wondering if I'm missing a manual or mine is incomplete.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by A6Nube
..... I've read somewhere that this is likely a valve cover gasket or camshaft cap or seal but can't seem to find the thread again. Any thoughts and if so, can you point me in the direction of a diagram or better yet, video?

I'm not seeing any smoke anywhere and no drip underneath the car. Gonna order the gaskets online and start there. Try my luck. I'd also like recommendations on parts if you don't mind.

Yes finding the source of the leak before wasting money on parts is a smart move. I've done the bonehead thing of buying expensive parts blindly only to realize later it was something else. To save time and money... clean the engine bay and try to isolate the actual leak as Tenspeed suggested.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 09-26-2016 at 08:40 PM.