Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 A6 Auto On/Off malfunctions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 A6 Auto On/Off malfunctions

I have a 2016 A6 3.0T Quattro in which the auto on/off feature engages (ie, turns the engine off) *before* the car comes to a complete stop. This also shuts down the power steering and, I recently just discovered, turns off the windshield wipers. Keep in mind, the car is still moving, between 1-4 mph. I've brought the car back to the dealership (Rusnak Audi in Los Angeles) several times for this problem. The GM and Service Dept Foreman VERIFIED the problem is happening, but Audi says it's functioning as designed - which is terrifying.

Does anyone else have this problem and, if so, what has been done to correct it?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronlosangeles
I have a 2016 A6 3.0T Quattro in which the auto on/off feature engages (ie, turns the engine off) *before* the car comes to a complete stop. This also shuts down the power steering and, I recently just discovered, turns off the windshield wipers. Keep in mind, the car is still moving, between 1-4 mph. I've brought the car back to the dealership (Rusnak Audi in Los Angeles) several times for this problem. The GM and Service Dept Foreman VERIFIED the problem is happening, but Audi says it's functioning as designed - which is terrifying.

Does anyone else have this problem and, if so, what has been done to correct it?
Had it coded to permanently turn off this horrid feature. Search the forum for the detailed coding instructions. The dealer can't/won't do it, so reach out to an independent shop which works on Audi.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2016 A6 3.0T Quattro in which the auto on/off feature engages (ie, turns the engine off) *before* the car comes to a complete stop.
This is not a problem. It functions as intended. The car is sensing you are about to stop and activates the auto start/stop feature before you come to a complete stop. This should be explained in your owners manual.

This also shuts down the power steering and, I recently just discovered, turns off the windshield wipers.
This should not happen. If it does, it may be related to the start/stop feature or it may be related to something else. Do all of your other instruments or electronics (radio/nav) turn off? The wipers aren't directly connected to the start/stop feature. As long as you have battery power, the wipers and everything else should continue to run. And are you sure the wipers actually stop working? If you have them on the automatic setting, that might be normal behavior with or without the engine running. They start back once the car starts moving. If this happens with them on manual, you might have a problem.

So if Audi is telling you the car is working as designed, they're talking about it turning off before you come to a complete stop. If you're losing power when it engages, that's something your Service people should be able to diagnose. Just make sure you are identifying an actual problem.

Car turning off before stopping - not the problem.
Loss of steering and electrical components - problem.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I am confused by these comments. I have had my 2016 A6 2.0 Quattro with auto stop/start for 15 months and the engine has never turned off before I fully stop. If I brake for a light and come to a stop with only light pressure on the brakes the engine keeps running. It is only if I push firmly on the brake pedal that the engine stops and the round “auto start/stop” circle turns green. At that point the power steering does not work, but I haven’t tried the wipers, so I’ll check this out. There are a number of conditions that must be met (temperature, AC load, distance driven, etc.) before this function kicks in even if I press like hell on the brake pedal, but never have it turned the engine off before fully stopped.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

You and the original poster can refer to your owners manual to eliminate your confusion. Refer to page 72 or whatever page has your Start/Stop system description. Or use the appendix to find it. The car isn't rolling feet when this happens; more like inches. My power steering stays active, which is also stated in the owners manual. I have no idea if there's any difference in the function between your 2.0 and our 3.0 Quattro.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I am confused by these comments. I have had my 2016 A6 2.0 Quattro with auto stop/start for 15 months and the engine has never turned off before I fully stop. If I brake for a light and come to a stop with only light pressure on the brakes the engine keeps running. It is only if I push firmly on the brake pedal that the engine stops and the round “auto start/stop” circle turns green. At that point the power steering does not work, but I haven’t tried the wipers, so I’ll check this out. There are a number of conditions that must be met (temperature, AC load, distance driven, etc.) before this function kicks in even if I press like hell on the brake pedal, but never have it turned the engine off before fully stopped.
The 2.0t will not shut off before a complete stop; the 3.0t will.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I checked again today and when the engine shuts off with Auto Stop/Start the power steering goes away - it is very hard to move the wheel at all. The wipers, however, do continue to work normally. Also, I discovered that if I just allow the car to slow to a stop (assuming the other requirements are met) the engine will shut off without me pushing hard on the brake pedal. However, I have to keep pressure on the brake pedal otherwise the engine restarts.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

To be clear...Audi has been awful at communicating with me about how this feature is supposed to function properly. Few seem to know how the car is supposed to actually function and I get the run around. According to Audi, they now claim the car is functioning as designed, because the car is "anticipating a stop" even if the car doesn't actually stop. However, on my car, the power steering also turns off ... again, all while the car is still rolling. The wipers have stopped right in the middle of the windshield (this is less common) along with the engine and power steering turning off. All of this happens between 1-4 mph. I basically lose control of the car at almost every stop sign and in stop & go traffic. it's like the car coughs and sputters like a choking jalopy. There's no way to permanently disable this incredibly dangerous design feature. Whether it's functioning as designed, as Audi is ridiculously claiming, or whether there's a defect in the system, it's dangerous.

The MMI system is buggy, too. And I've had the rear sunshade replaced because it wouldn't fully retract. I've never owned such a dangerous, problem-prone car in my life...and that's saying something. All it's going to take is someone in a serious accident for this to become a major problem for this scandal-laden corporation.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had the car shut off completely while sometimes reversing quickly after first trying to go forward from the auto off. Will bring it up to the dealer whenever I see him. Have 3000 miles.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My A7 does the same thing. I hate the feature with a passion to begin with, and I hate it even more when I realize I forgot to turn it off and is shuts off while I'm still rolling

Quick Reply: 2016 A6 Auto On/Off malfunctions