Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 A6 drivers, are you seeing these mpgs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
And if yours is off like mine is, that is really in the high 21s.
I think so. Which I think I have had a good balance of highway and city/up and down hill driving. So I don't mind anything an over 20 mpg. I Korea I was getting much lower fuel effiency on a 2.0T engine. All the constant stop and go traffic.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

FWIW, my 2016 A6 on board mpg function shows slightly lower overall mpg’s than I get calculating the mpgs. I just filled up at 1,200 miles and read the MMI’s overall mpgs at 24.4, I filled the tank and entered the miles and gallons on my spreadsheet. It came to 24.9 mpg, better than what the car is calculating.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
FWIW, my 2016 A6 on board mpg function shows slightly lower overall mpg’s than I get calculating the mpgs. I just filled up at 1,200 miles and read the MMI’s overall mpgs at 24.4, I filled the tank and entered the miles and gallons on my spreadsheet. It came to 24.9 mpg, better than what the car is calculating.
+1 I have same situation. Couple times clocked mileage the old fashioned way and was very close (within 5-6 tenths) of what shows on the computer, couple times pretty much spot on and couple times approximately 1-1.5 mpg less. Full disclosure -- back in the day we had "grade 13" where I grew up (Toronto) and I failed calculus so my math isn't the best.

Even if the computer function is somewhat optimistic I'm OK with the gas mileage in my /15 3.0T. It is as good or better than my old 06 Acura TL which weighed some 500 pounds less than the A6 and wasn't AWD. No complaints.

Best,
Jeff
Old 12-15-2015, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Apologies, correction to my post above as I misread Irenesbob's post. I have a somewhat different situation -- actual not higher than computer but sometimes computer very close to actual, a few times exactly same as actual and sometimes higher than actual. Close enough I guess.

Best,
Jeff
Old 12-15-2015, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Acuransx
Apologies, correction to my post above as I misread Irenesbob's post. I have a somewhat different situation -- actual not higher than computer but sometimes computer very close to actual, a few times exactly same as actual and sometimes higher than actual. Close enough I guess.

Best,
Jeff
I agree - close enough. Maybe some of the folks reporting 10% optimistic MMI mpg readings are referring to the short term mpg, while I was referring to the long term one - which I plan to never reset.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In an attempt at "work avoidance" last night, I took a trip to the local Costco and filled up the A6. Price last night was $2.19/gallon for 93 octane. I know this is not ecologically proper but given current pricing I am less concerned about the gas mileage and a bit more apt to push the go pedal a bit harder. Still, nice to get consistent very high 20s/very low 30s on highway in a 2 ton plus AWD car with plenty of power in reserve and huge comfort. I have to face it, I'm just not a Hyundai Elantra or Honda Civic type of guy at this stage in my life. Or Golf TDI for that matter. LOL.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I agree - close enough. Maybe some of the folks reporting 10% optimistic MMI mpg readings are referring to the short term mpg, while I was referring to the long term one - which I plan to never reset.
Im referring to long term as I reset it every time I get gas.

I realize that on any given tankful we may be filling the tank to a somewhat different level based upon the sensitivity of the gas pump handle, so I have now checked about my last six fill ups. The results have been extremely consistent.

Unless you go through a tankful all in one sitting, you can't use the short term because it resets itself almost every time you get in the car.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, just did 213 miles on the highway. Hit the reset right after the entrance ramp. At exit, average speed = 69mph and fuel economy = 32.4 mpg. Quite impressive how this 3 liter relaxes on the highway but still quite responsive when needed.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Sportstick
FWIW, just did 213 miles on the highway. Hit the reset right after the entrance ramp. At exit, average speed = 69mph and fuel economy = 32.4 mpg. Quite impressive how this 3 liter relaxes on the highway but still quite responsive when needed.
Agree. The one thing that hurts interstate highway mileage is hills. When I stay in the relatively flat southern part of NYS I can get low- to mid-30's on the highway, but once in the Adirondacks that drops into the high-20's. Not with this 2016 A6 that has yet to see such travel, but in my other 4 Audi's since 2005. Back a few years I drove from NY to Florida and back and got mpgs on that trip that I never before or after replicated. Smooth, flat highways in a warmish climate do help with fuel economy.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Headwind/tailwind obviously plays into this. I just did a run from Detroit area to Sandusky Ohio fully loaded in wife's Volvo S80T6. Speeds from 70-80. We had a very stiff headwind on way back and mileage plummeted to 23.5 -- it is usually closer to 27.5.

The A6 on the highway is just wonderful. Such a perfect blend of comfort, power and confident handling. I just can't get over what a great engine/transmission combination the 3.0T and the ZF 8 speed is. Sportstick, your 213 miles example is similar to what I have achieved a number of times in my A6 3.0T. I was a bit lower at 31 but conditions obviously not exactly what you had on your trip. And I agree 100% with irenesbob that flat and warmish = best mileage. Obviously light foot on go pedal helps as well. I find I just don't need to push too hard on the loud pedal for this car to move forward smartly.

Again, very pleasant vehicle -- pleased with myself for buying a car that fits my needs so well and is devoid of annoyances/flaws in my opinion.

Best,
Jeff

Quick Reply: 2016 A6 drivers, are you seeing these mpgs?