Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 A6 original equipment 18" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 A6 original equipment 18" wheels

Hello!

I just ordered a 2016 A6 (still in "waitlist" status, whatever that means).

I ordered it with the standard equipment 18" wheels and tires, but I'm likely going to replace these. I live in an area with poor side street quality (Seattle), and I generally like to minimize unsprung weight to improve ride quality. Does anyone know how much these wheels weigh?

Thanks, and looking forward to being a part of this community
Old 07-29-2015, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Easy, welcome aboard! The Audi OE wheels tend to be heavy, heavy, heavy!

One of the guys has a wheel database. We can probably find some info there for you.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EasyRider
Hello!

I just ordered a 2016 A6 (still in "waitlist" status, whatever that means).

I ordered it with the standard equipment 18" wheels and tires, but I'm likely going to replace these. I live in an area with poor side street quality (Seattle), and I generally like to minimize unsprung weight to improve ride quality. Does anyone know how much these wheels weigh?

Thanks, and looking forward to being a part of this community
We have bad side streets in Seattle? Man, you need to spend some time in southern California or Arizona...our streets are like glass in comparison!

Btw where did you order your A6 from? Bellevue/Seattle/Lynnwood? Congrats, you'll love the A6!

Last edited by Seattlite_A6C7; 07-29-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Seattlite_A6C7
We have bad side streets in Seattle? Man, you need to spend some time in southern California or Arizona...our streets are like glass in comparison!

Btw where did you order your A6 from? Bellevue/Seattle/Lynnwood? Congrats, you'll love the A6!
Not every neighborhood's roads in the Seattle area is bad. I live in Madrona, though, where the homes are 100 years old and the streets are about the same, lol!

I ordered through Bellevue, though I also visited University Audi. Both seemed like good dealerships.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Easy, welcome aboard! The Audi OE wheels tend to be heavy, heavy, heavy!

One of the guys has a wheel database. We can probably find some info there for you.
That's what I figured. OE wheels are often pretty heavy, which is unfortunate. If they are on the lighter side I may keep them, but otherwise I'm going to sell them. I wonder if there's a reasonable market for these OE wheels, or if I'm going to have to basically give them away.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

That's what I figured. OE wheels are often pretty heavy, which is unfortunate. If they are on the lighter side I may keep them, but otherwise I'm going to sell them. I wonder if there's a reasonable market for these OE wheels, or if I'm going to have to basically give them away.
I recall having been told once that the 18" wheels on my ’13 A6 2.0 P+ (same probably as on the ’16 models – they look identical) is 32 lbs.
You said “OE wheels are often pretty heavy, which is unfortunate.” The additional unsprung weight is not ideal, but maybe for OEM’s (that most “run of the mill” drivers get) some additional weight transfers to durability (they won’t crack or dent on impact with potholes or train tracks).
Old 07-29-2015, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I recall having been told once that the 18" wheels on my ’13 A6 2.0 P+ (same probably as on the ’16 models – they look identical) is 32 lbs.
You said “OE wheels are often pretty heavy, which is unfortunate.” The additional unsprung weight is not ideal, but maybe for OEM’s (that most “run of the mill” drivers get) some additional weight transfers to durability (they won’t crack or dent on impact with potholes or train tracks).
It's a good point. I suppose there's a classic engineering trade off between: high strength, low weight, low cost. Pick two.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

They (OEM) are probably forged wheels. Many after market wheels are simply cast and are lighter, cheaper and less damage resistant.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I wonder if there's a reasonable market for these OE wheels, or if I'm going to have to basically give them away.
Keep them and mount snow tires or all seasons for winter use.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
They (OEM) are probably forged wheels. Many after market wheels are simply cast and are lighter, cheaper and less damage resistant.
Forged=light, which is the opposite of OEM wheels. There are different casting processes and they are not created equal. I can guarantee that OEM Audi wheels are cast unless the model designation starts with R, as in R8 or RSx. My

Quick Reply: 2016 A6 original equipment 18" wheels