Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 LTE slower on Audi than Phone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 LTE slower on Audi than Phone?

I have AT&T As my wireless carrier. I have the iPhone 6 a true unlocked global version, not the unlocked versions from US. I had my Audi Connect set up just recently and I noticed that the LTE on the Audi is very very slow compared to that of my phone. Has anyone experienced this? I think the Audi connect LTE with AT&T should be the same as my phone since the service should be the same right?
Old 06-06-2015, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually there is already a post on lte being slower through Audi Connect. You may have to download a fix for this. Seach through the forum.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bravo659
Actually there is already a post on lte being slower through Audi Connect. You may have to download a fix for this. Seach through the forum.
Thanks. I didn't know. Can you share a link? I couldn't find it... Thanks

Last edited by Inyoury; 06-06-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Inyoury
Thanks. I didn't know. Can you share a link? I couldn't find it... Thanks
I was trying to find it yesterday but can't find it either.
But its somewhere in the forum. If i bumped into it i'll copy and send you the link. ok
Old 06-07-2015, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine is slower than my phone as well.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Anyone find that link yet? I haven't. Here's a test to show just how much slower it is for me.

The top result is AT&T LTE through the car, the second is the same through my iPhone 6+.

Results
Old 06-09-2015, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a '14 so I am on 3G speeds but - my speeds through the car are pretty much the same as y'alls on LTE!
Old 06-09-2015, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
Anyone find that link yet? I haven't. Here's a test to show just how much slower it is for me.

The top result is AT&T LTE through the car, the second is the same through my iPhone 6+.

Results
It may be the APN used by AT&T for the car vs. the phone. As an experiment, you could put your phone SIM in the car and change the APN in the car to match the one your phone uses and see if that changes your throughput. I'm fairly certain that T-Mobile throttles their throughput with the APN that is used on Audis to the point of making it useless for tablet use over wifi, for example.

In T-Mobile's case, I kind of understand why, since they essentially offered an unlimited data plan for Audis, so by slowing the pipe they can control the load on their network and restrict the use of the data connection to the car features by effectively frustrating users out of any idea of using WiFi for their other devices.... But AT&T is charging by the GB, so it makes less sense for them to throttle.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by McFuzz
I have a '14 so I am on 3G speeds but - my speeds through the car are pretty much the same as y'alls on LTE!
To be fair, I was in a crappy signal area. I didn't test under full strength. I'll try that later.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mikem33
It may be the APN used by AT&T for the car vs. the phone. As an experiment, you could put your phone SIM in the car and change the APN in the car to match the one your phone uses and see if that changes your throughput. I'm fairly certain that T-Mobile throttles their throughput with the APN that is used on Audis to the point of making it useless for tablet use over wifi, for example.

In T-Mobile's case, I kind of understand why, since they essentially offered an unlimited data plan for Audis, so by slowing the pipe they can control the load on their network and restrict the use of the data connection to the car features by effectively frustrating users out of any idea of using WiFi for their other devices.... But AT&T is charging by the GB, so it makes less sense for them to throttle.
The sim sizes are different. I am also thinking that my phone has a lot more antennas and the phone has the LTEA capability. Where I moved from, the LTEA gave me about 3-4 times faster speeds than the LTE. I am thinking ATT also might throttle the LTE service for the cars. My home has FiOS 75/75 and the using the wifi from that blows the wifi from he Audi out of the water. Maybe it is a simple fix as a software update as someone previously mentioned.

Quick Reply: 2016 LTE slower on Audi than Phone?