Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 LTE slower on Audi than Phone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem33
It may be the APN used by AT&T for the car vs. the phone. As an experiment, you could put your phone SIM in the car and change the APN in the car to match the one your phone uses and see if that changes your throughput. I'm fairly certain that T-Mobile throttles their throughput with the APN that is used on Audis to the point of making it useless for tablet use over wifi, for example.
My phone's SIM is not the same size as the one in the car. I did try changing the APN to "broadband" though, since that's the typical one they tell you to use on a tablet, and I didn't have any connectivity at all.

I sent an email to my service guy. Maybe there's a TSB or something.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
My phone's SIM is not the same size as the one in the car. I did try changing the APN to "broadband" though, since that's the typical one they tell you to use on a tablet, and I didn't have any connectivity at all.

I sent an email to my service guy. Maybe there's a TSB or something.
Any update on this issue? I have similar problems with my 2016 A7
Old 07-03-2015, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mutiny22183
Any update on this issue? I have similar problems with my 2016 A7
No, no update on my side. You get anything from your dealer?
Old 12-29-2015, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone had any luck with this? I just took delivery of a 2016 in November and download speeds are still slow.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure the download speeds have to do with the hardware supplied in the phone versus the car. If I'm deducing correctly, not all LTE download is the same. My assumption is based on the fact that the the iPhone 5s, 6, and 6s have different download speeds, yet on the same carrier, but different internal hardware.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
I'm pretty sure the download speeds have to do with the hardware supplied in the phone versus the car. If I'm deducing correctly, not all LTE download is the same. My assumption is based on the fact that the the iPhone 5s, 6, and 6s have different download speeds, yet on the same carrier, but different internal hardware.
You are correct on the hardware. However, the significant difference in speeds are noticeable for the 2016 MY and my iPhone 6.

After having my 6 month free trial finished, Audi gave 6GB of data free. After I used up this data I will add my car to my mobile sharing plan.

FYI
You can't ask AT&T to add the device. You still have to ask Audi connect. So the speeds are going to change. I tried to add my car as a sharing device using a LTE sim for tablets. The LTE speed gets downgraded to 3G. I even tried with a smart phone sim provided by AT&T. The same thing happened again. It would have been nice to just add it through AT&T and have the faster connection...
Old 12-29-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you have to use Audi Connect? AT&T advertises being able to add your car to the mobile share. You all might as well just hotspot from the our phones to the car to get the speed that you want.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
Why do you have to use Audi Connect? AT&T advertises being able to add your car to the mobile share. You all might as well just hotspot from the our phones to the car to get the speed that you want.
That's right they advertise that. But you can "add the Audi connect" to your AT&T plan as "add a device." The bill be added to your AT&T while the service will be added through Audi connect (AT&T network as is already...).

Doesn't make sense to me, but maybe they profit share?
Old 12-30-2015, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was using the standard SIM card that came with my 16 A6 from AT&T for the free 6 months and it was considerably slower than my Verizon phone. So being that it currently expired, I had a SIM card from my iPad that we rarely use LTE on that was Verizon, so I thought I would give it a try. I bought a standard sim adapter from Amazon and put the iPad nano sim in my A6 and changed the APN to vzwinternet and it worked!! It is much much faster than the AT&T card that was originally in there. Google maps actually loads down all the way to almost street view now, where before it would take too long and we'd be past the destination we were looking for to get a view of it. Hope this helps!
Old 01-01-2016, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kj71109
I was using the standard SIM card that came with my 16 A6 from AT&T for the free 6 months and it was considerably slower than my Verizon phone. So being that it currently expired, I had a SIM card from my iPad that we rarely use LTE on that was Verizon, so I thought I would give it a try. I bought a standard sim adapter from Amazon and put the iPad nano sim in my A6 and changed the APN to vzwinternet and it worked!! It is much much faster than the AT&T card that was originally in there. Google maps actually loads down all the way to almost street view now, where before it would take too long and we'd be past the destination we were looking for to get a view of it. Hope this helps!
My assumption from day 1 has been the APN is the issue. Unfortunately I don't have another AT&T SIM I can test because all my hotspots are VZ.