Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

55,000 miles - Spark Plugs and V-Belt

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 55,000 miles - Spark Plugs and V-Belt

I'm approaching 55,000 miles and I like to do these services myself. I am going to change the spark plugs and V-belt and have some questions:

1. Spark Plugs - Should I change the coil packs as well? I'm from the school of "if it isn't broken don't fix it" but sometimes the extra maintenance is recommended.
2. V-Belt - I have searched here and on YouTube and can not find any info on how to change this belt. Does anyone have a DIY?
3. V-Belt - Are there any other replacement recommendations like tensioners or whatnot to go along with this maintenance?

Any info is appreciated.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is a diy for a C6 pulley, might help with the vbelt it may be similar.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ulley-2884201/

there is a diy for plugs on the C6 forum as well it might be worth a look
Old 07-03-2015, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

1. Spark plugs. Don't change the coils unless they fail. You might want to keep a spare coil in the garage for replacement or testing.

2. Maybe YouTube has one or check in the C6/C5 sections.

3. Most tensioners should make it to 100,000 miles. The spring weakens and the belt will squeal on the alternator after start up.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
1. Spark plugs. Don't change the coils unless they fail. You might want to keep a spare coil in the garage for replacement or testing.
I agree. Make sure you have some 3M silicone grease and put a smidgen on the porcelain insulator so the coil slides back on nicely and fully. Only use NGK plugs. They are the factory plugs - Bosch is just an back up supplier.

I am not sure if you need to keep a spare coil pack for 3.0 C7s. The diagnostic computer is so sophisticated, VAGCOM will tell you which coil is bad.

I use the 3M silicone grease for many things - including brakes. 3M 08946 Clear Silicone Paste - 8 oz.

Replacing the accessory belt so soon? (I assume that one and not the Supercharger).

I assume you have already done air filter
Old 07-04-2015, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm about to do the V-belt soon as well, since I too am approaching 55k miles. I also just posted a DIY on the spark plug replacement - pretty straightforward. In fact, I changed the plugs on my wife's Mazda CX-9 a week later and they were much harder to replace.

As said above, leave the coilpacks alone until they fail - they used to go often on my old 2002 A4, but once they got the recipe right they lasted several years.

I'll probably get to the V-belt replacement next weekend (I hope). I'll try to take pics and post a write up afterwards.

-Mark
Old 07-04-2015, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
Replacing the accessory belt so soon? (I assume that one and not the Supercharger).
I was originally confused about this, but the schedule calls for the supercharger belt to be replaced at 55k and the accessory belt at 75k. But it refers to both as a V-belt... you have to read closely and note which is the "front" V-belt, and which is the "rear"...

I bought both, so I'll probably replace them both at the same time to save the hassle next year.

-Mark
Old 07-05-2015, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by a44mark
I was originally confused about this, but the schedule calls for the supercharger belt to be replaced at 55k and the accessory belt at 75k. But it refers to both as a V-belt... you have to read closely and note which is the "front" V-belt, and which is the "rear"...

I bought both, so I'll probably replace them both at the same time to save the hassle next year.

-Mark
I saw your write up and it was awesome. I'll be using it as a guide. I will be replacing the V-Belt (supercharger belt) as well. I was hesitant about the tensioner but from what I've seen it looks like any other tensioner I've seen. I'll try posting a DIY as well.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does Audi recommend changing the spark plugs at 55K miles? What brand are OEM plugs? If they are NGK Iridium don't most last at least 90K??
Old 07-06-2015, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the rest of the 55K miles maint. done last week.
When the plugs were changed, I got an immediate >10% increase in MPG.

I am having the front belt changed this week (at (every) 55k miles) it says:

"– replace only the belt for the compressor drive (front belt)"

The other (rear belt) looks like every 75K miles.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lasting 90-100k miles is different than performing their best at those mileages. I have found that all plug gap will widen over time. I just did mine at 98K and assume they would have been done already.

On the belts, personally.. I plan on buying both belts and tensioners because I found the belts on mine to be Dayco and that's not cool in my book. Next time I put the car into Service Position... I'm doing a solid bit of work considering the effort it takes to get into Service Position.

Quick Reply: 55,000 miles - Spark Plugs and V-Belt