Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 C7 Flat Bottom Steering Wheel Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
That looks really nice! I wish I wasn't so scared to do anything by myself
thanks. It's a beautiful wheel. I'm sure you could find a local dealer willing to do the install and coding for a couple hundo.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rassi
Just ordered one, thanks for the write-up!
Nice! Post pics when you install. And be sure you follow Mrclopec's comments on process for disconnecting battery.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Carr04Avant
Nice! Post pics when you install. And be sure you follow Mrclopec's comments on process for disconnecting battery.
Not sure if you saw my post asking about the seller for your steering wheel. Thanks
Old 11-05-2015, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Inyoury
Not sure if you saw my post asking about the seller for your steering wheel. Thanks
I did, and I replied.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm sorry. I didn't see it. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2015, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carr04Avant
Of all the mod's I've done on my Audi's, swapping my current steering wheel with the S6, all-leather wheel, has been the most gratifying given the feel and look.
Congrats. Loving the look of the white stitching. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
That looks really nice! I wish I wasn't so scared to do anything by myself
You are justified to be scared. Many things that can go wrong with expensive ramifications and safety concerns. If you're not experienced or mechanically inclined just be cautious of the following.

You could 1) bend/damage the airbag clips, 2) accidentally activate airbag, 3) gouge plastic adjacent pieces, 4) end up with misaligned steering wheel, 5) difficulty clipping back into place the air bag, 6) stripping steering wheel bolt by using wrong socket, 7) Ripping wire connections apart if not careful when disconnecting connectors.

For people with experience these are non-issues. Not my intention to be negative, just trying to help advise those who are new to modding cars.

For those needing help to do this...Look for independent shop if you want to be safe. I found one that did my first steering wheel swap for only $100. I've since then removed and reinstalled wheel myself after watching the process (with battery disconnecting).
Old 11-18-2015, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Could you mind give me the contact of the guy who sell the flat bottom steering wheel? I'm also interest one flat bottom.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think I bought his last one: http://m.ebay.com/itm/111809038932?_mwBanner=1
Old 11-19-2015, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
This is correct. Audi does not make a flat bottom heated wheel. They do, however, make the heated wheel in both a 4-spoke and a 3-spoke round, and the three spoke is offered in both smooth leather or perforated. A leather stitched airbag is also available...
Why doesn't Audi make one good steering wheel instead of all of these crap ones? It would cost far less in design, manufacturing costs, inventory etc. if they made only a flat bottomed heated wheel and put it in every Audi.
A useful feature is the * button but if you get heated then you have to do without the *.

Heads should roll
Old 11-19-2015, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not a fan of flat bottom wheels (sort of defeats the point of the wheel, well, being a wheel). Seems reasonable to give people the choice, but at least Audi came up with the * button when most would just leave that blank since the button only exists because they wanted to make a function for what would normally be the heating button.

Quick Reply: A6 C7 Flat Bottom Steering Wheel Retrofit