Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 C7 Flat Bottom Steering Wheel Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 08:06 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Why doesn't Audi make one good steering wheel instead of all of these crap ones? It would cost far less in design, manufacturing costs, inventory etc. if they made only a flat bottomed heated wheel and put it in every Audi...
When a product that's is of one design spec is manufactured and marketed to an entire population, the amount of people that will take interest in it, buy it, and the sum of money acquired from said product, will always be less than a product that is offered in variations which will always appeal to a larger amount of people. Your logic falsely assumes that every person in the population desires every feature available when in reality there are people who will not desire a product specifically because it has a feature. Businesses spend vass amounts of money conducting research on focus groups attempting to attain the perfect balance between demand and cost. The true amount of margin in any one of VAG's vehicles is only known by VAG, but I can assure you it's big. Big enough to mean that the profitability ratio between manufacturing several options of one product is financially worth doing as opposed to only manufacturing one variant. Profit isn't just made through sales, it's made through cost cutting as well. Anyone who works for a company that is publicly traded probably just rolled their eyes at me for reminding them of that vexatious, but true, little fact.

The short answer to your question: Because, math.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Great response Mrclopec and thank you, I was hoping for a response from someone with the knowledge of marketing.
BTW - the answer to ALL of my questions is, money

In 2005 I bought an Acura RL. It was sold without any options at all, for that year all cars were the same - fully loaded. Within months of its release there were options and within a couple of years there were different versions. This bears out your theory but I liked the idea of no options so, I admit, I'm in the minority.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So other than the aesthetic, a flat bottom steering wheel is primarily for entry/exit of a vehicle?

While I do like the look, the feel and grip is a little thicker?

Right now I'm so brain dead I can't remember if there's ease of access in the A6 (and also because my car has been the shop for 2 weeks).
Old 11-19-2015, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Great response Mrclopec and thank you, I was hoping for a response from someone with the knowledge of marketing.
BTW - the answer to ALL of my questions is, money
+1
Yes great response and was impressed by the mention of focus groups. Prior to seeing Mrclopec's response I was going to respond with something along the lines of Product Differentiation for both external competitors as well as in-house model differentiation for consumer demand and price tiers. I liked Mrclopec's answer better.

A useful feature is the * button but if you get heated then you have to do without the *.

Heads should roll
By the way, so what does the * button do anyways?? My swapped wheel has it but I originally had heated steering wheel. When I press this it tells me voice commands are not activated. Should I be looking to activate a feature, and what's the difference between that button's voice commands and the Speech recognition button?

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 11-19-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=IknowHuhA6;24745156

By the way, so what does the * button do anyways?? My swapped wheel has it but I originally had heated steering wheel. When I press this it tells me voice commands are not activated. Should I be looking to activate a feature, and what's the difference between that button's voice commands and the Speech recognition button?[/QUOTE]

The button gives you optional functionality depending on the menu in Car Settings. I have mine set to enable/disable navigation voice feedback but there are other choices too. If you cannot find that menu or a reference to it in the manual then you will need to research the software differences. I don't remember if VCDS allows this function to be enabled when you disable heated steering wheel option.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The button gives you optional functionality depending on the menu in Car Settings. I have mine set to enable/disable navigation voice feedback but there are other choices too. If you cannot find that menu or a reference to it in the manual then you will need to research the software differences. I don't remember if VCDS allows this function to be enabled when you disable heated steering wheel option.
If someone knows how to enable this in VCDS, please share. I've looked thru the VCDS threads and haven't seen anything on this. My * button on my retrofitted wheel toggles the voice guidance, but I don't see any option to change to a different function.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
When a product that's is of one design spec is manufactured and marketed to an entire population, the amount of people that will take interest in it, buy it, and the sum of money acquired from said product, will always be less than a product that is offered in variations which will always appeal to a larger amount of people...

The short answer to your question: Because, math.
I don't disagree in general, but did Audi really do research that concluded that flat-bottom wheel lovers don't need their hands warmed in the winter?
Old 11-20-2015, 07:07 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Tman007
I don't disagree in general, but did Audi really do research that concluded that flat-bottom wheel lovers don't need their hands warmed in the winter?
I would say yes. The amount of people they deemed would want the feature (target group) did not outweigh the cost for development. Think about it...It is this very same reason that they do not offer sport seats with ventilation.

P.S. I would love to have both a heated flat bottomed steering wheel as well as ventilated sport seats.

Last edited by Mrclopec; 11-20-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just a heads-up that the vendor that the OP and I got the steering wheel from, is now selling one again: Audi A6 S6 A7 S7 S-line Flat Bottom Steering Wheel | eBay
Old 11-30-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was not the holiday season, I would be biting on this

Quick Reply: A6 C7 Flat Bottom Steering Wheel Retrofit