Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 extended warrenty ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 extended warrenty ?

Hello All,
i have 2012 A6 3.0 reaching at 35K so far. i have purchased Audi care and my next 2 service is covered (35 k and 45K).
and i guess i have 4 years/50K Audi warrenty with it.

I was wondering if i should buy extended warrenty or not for my car?
is it worth it? where should i buy it from ? audi dealer?

what you guys advice on that.

thanks
Old 11-10-2014, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jigsb007
Hello All,
i have 2012 A6 3.0 reaching at 35K so far. i have purchased Audi care and my next 2 service is covered (35 k and 45K).
and i guess i have 4 years/50K Audi warrenty with it.

I was wondering if i should buy extended warrenty or not for my car?
is it worth it? where should i buy it from ? audi dealer?

what you guys advice on that.

thanks
Glad you started this thread, I'm curious about the same thing. I have 20k miles on my '12 and have the factory warranty until July 2016.

I know that if I do end up buying an extended warranty, it will definitely be from Audi themselves, at my local dealer.

Curious to see what the more seasoned AW vets recommend.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Do a global AW search. Many, many threads on the subject.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Buy one

I have owned about a half dozen more Audis than the ones in my signature and I can tell you that, in my experience, if you plan to keep an Audi into its twilight years (read: the day after the factory warranty expires), you need an extended warranty or a large checkbook. I have had a power window decide to stop working halfway up on an A4 (couple hundred dollars), a moonroof stuck open on an A4 (several hundred dollars), a thermostat go out on an A8L (over a thousand dollars because of where it is located), and a navigation screen that would no longer open on an A8L (new Nav screen and head unit - partially covered by Audi out of warranty - several thousand dollars). I have also had several VWs over the years with nuisance electrical issues. And don't even get me started on the BMWs, Mercedes, or Porsches I have had. The moral of my story appears to be that German engineers don't build electrical systems that last . . . and they are expensive to fix when they break.

Like any insurance policy, though, you are mainly buying peace of mind:

Consumer Reports: Extended Warranties for Cars - Consumer Reports

This article suggest you might never use the warranty, but luckily if you sell the car the warranty is either partially refundable or transferable for a negligible fee. The more toys your car has the more likely it is that something will break and our C7s have a lot of moving parts.

I imagine some of you have had much better luck with respect to repairs but my personal experience owning an out of warranty Audi has not been hassle free. Thankfully, I rarely own a German car outside its factory warranty, but if I do it will have a warranty. I have had good luck with Master Tech and some of the other major warranty providers so I personally do not subscribe to the necessity of having one from Audi. But make sure it covers the high end electronics when you get it. Audis have one of the highest "cost to repair" factors in the vehicle warranty game so they don't come cheap, but most any car dealership finance manager can sell you one without you purchasing a car from them (including, most likely, your purchasing dealer). Your best option is to get them to compete with each other; margins on these policies approach 50% so don't pay MSRP.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the input. Does anyone know how to sell back warranties? I have the wheel and tire warranty as well as the rockchip/door ding warranties. I want to sell back the wheel and tire warranty.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Waaazooo
Thanks for the input. Does anyone know how to sell back warranties? I have the wheel and tire warranty as well as the rockchip/door ding warranties. I want to sell back the wheel and tire warranty.
E-Mail brucem105@comcast.net - He is a vendor based in Philly/NJ area. I've purchased a few Audi's from him in the past, and he is a vendor for aftermarket warranties. Great guy!!

Tell him Noah Webster referred you.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Check your paperwork

Originally Posted by Waaazooo
You have a couple options. If you can find your paperwork from when you bought it, there will be a section about what to do if you sell the car or want to cancel the coverage. Otherwise, whoever sold it to you should have a copy and, in many cases, they can actually handle the cancellation for you.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, I don't think I'll use it. I'll contact the dealer.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just like insurance. Buy as much as you can afford. I always buy the extended with the loan as it makes it easier split up. Peace of mind if something blows up is priceless. I have a 70k 7 year. Have 20k on the car so far, German engineering all the way.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got a quote around $5,500 for most of the dealer for 4 years and 48 months with $100 deductible. Any one get a better price or deal for this? Please thanks.

Quick Reply: A6 extended warrenty ?