Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 TDI Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chewy379
EDIT: I'm thinking since last I checked (a week ago) my car was still on wait list (weird since its been almost 5 weeks since I ordered) should I take the chance to switch it now to the regular 3.0TFSI engine?
How many miles do you drive per year and what's the mix highway v city? What drew you to the TDI to begin with? Did you test drive both the TDI and 3.0T?
Old 09-22-2015, 08:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audi40
How many miles do you drive per year and what's the mix highway v city? What drew you to the TDI to begin with? Did you test drive both the TDI and 3.0T?
Well, I'm in Canada, based on my families average of around 7.5 years of ownership on our car with around 85k km, averages to about 11.5k km per year which equates to 7.15k miles per year.

We drive roughly 60% highway, 40% city I'd say.

I did test drive both, but it was a fairly short run. I noticed there wasn't too much of a performance gap between the TDI and 3.0T and I decided to opt for the TDI for better mileage. Also another reason was the dealer was about to offer another 1000 dollar off if we went for the TDI, so the price difference was almost negligible (around 1400)

EDIT: Price of course is in CAD.

So here's what I've been thinking. I should just switch to the 3.0 TFSI so I don't have to worry about dealing with potential complications involving the TDI. Also since annually I don't drive very far distances, the better mileage of the TDI would also be harder to make full use of.

Last edited by Chewy379; 09-22-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, I'm in Canada, based on my families average of around 7.5 years of ownership on our car with around 85k km, averages to about 11.5k km per year which equates to 7.15k miles per year.

I did test drive both, but it was a fairly short run. I noticed there wasn't too much of a performance gap between the TDI and 3.0T and I decided to opt for the TDI for better mileage. Also another reason was the dealer was about to offer another 1000 dollar off if we went for the TDI, so the price difference was almost negligible (around 1400)

So here's what I've been thinking. I should just switch to the 3.0 TFSI so I don't have to worry about dealing with potential complications involving the TDI. Also since annually I don't drive very far distances, the better mileage of the TDI would also be harder to make full use of.
Based on your low annual mileage, I would tend to agree that you may not see a big mileage benefit from the TDI. Both are great engines and you can't go wrong either way. If changing to the 3.0T will give you peace of mind and you won't be second guessing yourself after the fact if this turns out to be no big deal with the 3.0 TDI, then make the change to the 3.0T. Good luck with your decision, but either way, I'd suggest calling the dealer and explaining your quandary and see what they say regarding the deposit, if you can still change your order, etc.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

General view here in the UK is that you need to be doing 10k miles or above (and some say 15k) per annum to make diesel worth while, although the recent drop in the price of diesel may change that. Also remember that you need to do some longer drives at speed regularly in order to allow the DPF to regenerate
Old 09-23-2015, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your Guide To Dieselgate: Volkswagen's Diesel Cheating Catastrophe*

Daily updates at bottom of article.

Last edited by A7_TDI; 09-23-2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't think you drive enough to warrant the TDI. I'd prefer the 3.0T (or even look at the 2.0T given the ridiculous gas prices in BC) in your circumstances. I drive 35-40 km/yr. Anything less than 25 km/yr and I'd probably drive the gasser.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
I don't think you drive enough to warrant the TDI. I'd prefer the 3.0T (or even look at the 2.0T given the ridiculous gas prices in BC) in your circumstances. I drive 35-40 km/yr. Anything less than 25 km/yr and I'd probably drive the gasser.
That is one thing I can very much agree on (ridiculous gas pricing in BC, getting nailed by the taxes so hard here )

So I have emailed my sales guy yesterday, and today he has asked me to discuss with the sales manager directly later today. Should I try and get any more benefits or incentives for this little debacle? It kinda has left a sour taste having to deal with this along with the reputation hit.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That is one thing I can very much agree on (ridiculous gas pricing in BC, getting nailed by the taxes so hard here )

So I have emailed my sales guy yesterday, and today he has asked me to discuss with the sales manager directly later today. Should I try and get any more benefits or incentives for this little debacle? It kinda has left a sour taste having to deal with this along with the reputation hit.
I would just negotiate the best price you can an the 3.0T and make the switch. Don't get caught up in trying to get extra benefits, etc for the debacle. Just treat it like a business transaction - be professional, be firm, say you want to switch because of the issue and negotiate the price. Focus on the bottom line of the new deal and don't bother bringing up your sour taste, etd
Old 09-23-2015, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Volkswagen emission scandal exposed by West Virginia engineer Daniel Carder | Daily Mail Online

Article published with input from the team at UWV. They suspect that a simple adjustment in fuel delivery timing would solve the problem. This would come at the expense of fuel mileage. Effectively richen up the fuel/air mixture.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update here. Just came back from the dealership.

Good news is I've successfully got the order switched to a 3.0T engine while keeping my original discount. My sales guy did look a bit unhappy, not sure whether it's about the switch or because I've asked him a lot of questions regarding the car and he might feel kind of pestered by me. I have emailed him again to thank him for his help and services.

From reading the forums, I know a pretty good discount to be around 6-7% off MSRP (is this based on after options? or just base price of car + trim level?) I received around 7.1% discount off before options and 6.5% after options, is this a good deal?

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about this diesel issue anymore.

Quick Reply: A6 TDI Problem