Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 vs A7: why the big $ gap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NoahWeb

The more practical vehicle, from a perspective of how much stuff will fit and carry, is the A6. The A7 looks better, but the A6 is more functional/practical.
I respectively disagree. The A6 has 42 percent LESS Cargo storage space than an A7. That point has been noticed by every major A7 reviewer, from the New York Times to WhatCar.

With the A7 hatch up, and the parcel shelf popped out, the storage space is cavernous. Its an important reason we chose the A7 over the A6 and we compared to two extensively - including 200 miles drive in loaners of each.

While I do love the look of the A7, space really was a deciding factor in our family. We measured carefully - my wife is a glass artist and the ability to carry her big commissions was required. If AoA still brought in A6 Avants, that would have been perfect as well.

According to Audi website specs:

A6: Cargo volume cubic feet, seats up: 14.1

A7: Cargo volume cubic feet, seats up: 24.5
Old 10-29-2014, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The added space is quite noticeable between the 2. I know we're talking first world problems here, but I used to have to wedge my golf clubs into the A6 trunk; with the A7 i can just toss em in with plenty of room to spare.

The powered hatch is a huge bonus as well.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
I respectively disagree. The A6 has 42 percent LESS Cargo storage space than an A7. That point has been noticed by every major A7 reviewer, from the New York Times to WhatCar.

With the A7 hatch up, and the parcel shelf popped out, the storage space is cavernous. Its an important reason we chose the A7 over the A6 and we compared to two extensively - including 200 miles drive in loaners of each.

While I do love the look of the A7, space really was a deciding factor in our family. We measured carefully - my wife is a glass artist and the ability to carry her big commissions was required. If AoA still brought in A6 Avants, that would have been perfect as well.

According to Audi website specs:

A6: Cargo volume cubic feet, seats up: 14.1

A7: Cargo volume cubic feet, seats up: 24.5
Ahh, I agree with you for the American market.

A6 Avant > A7 in the real, non-federalized market in which Gov't knows best.

Originally Posted by Glacier6
Another item we don't get in the US as standard, but the EU does, for the A6's.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
“…we could say only old white bald men drive new 911s…” – well, that wouldn’t be far from the truth would it? lol
Irenesbob:

Not far at all - and it was said by me "very tongue in cheek." the joke was intended.

About body roll.

perhaps I am sensitive to body roll in Audis, an issue with big Audis since the beginning of time: 100, 200, UrS4, real allroad. The allroad was so rolly, many owners, including me, installed bigger Hotchkiss sway bars before leaving the dealer.

Also, i am very fortunate to have a phenomenal test road near me that makes it clear if there is ANY body roll: Colorado 82 from Twin Lakes to Aspen -- the back way over Independence Pass. 40 miles on narrow twisty mountain roads from 9000 ft to 10,000 feet and down to 8000 feet. ONLY turbo or supercharged Audi's need apply

You are lucky in leasing. I tend to keep (or should I say, our family tends to keep) our Audi's a long time.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glacier6
And, I JUST discovered if you (1) have the key fob in your pocket and (2) wiggle your foot under the back bumper, the rear hatch will open. Talk about first world pluses while holding a 50 pound glass art panel in the rain.......
Old 10-30-2014, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
And, I JUST discovered if you (1) have the key fob in your pocket and (2) wiggle your foot under the back bumper, the rear hatch will open. Talk about first world pluses while holding a 50 pound glass art panel in the rain.......
This feature has been discussed a lot and it is, in fact, a German joke specifically installed to watch Americans dance behind their vehicles. I have done my fair share of dancing but the last time I was cleaning the chrome tips, the trunk opens. It will never work if you hold 50 pounds of glass in the rain.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

However, as I've reported in the past, it can work fairly consistently if you just walk by the rear fender as you are leaving the car. Ay least it did for me until I had the dealer defeat the "feature". On the other hand, the foot dance almost never worked.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Was this on MY13 and after?
Old 10-30-2014, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the A7 from MY2013 and onward had 3 seat belts in the back, meaning it could take 3 adults in the back? (I might be wrong though)

Anyways, I also did some research when I was debating between the A6 and A7, to justify the $10K price difference between the two cars.
Here are the major differences for the two models, assuming they are the same trim and have same options equipped. (3.0 TFSI, prestige, innovation package with full LED headlights in my case)

- Sportback design of the A7 vs classic sedan design of the A6
- The A7 has 19 inch wheels while the A6 comes with 18 inch wheels.
- The A7 has an automated hatch/trunk, while the A6's trunk is manual.
- The A7 has a rear spoiler.
- The A7 has more cargo space.
- The A6 has grocery hooks in the trunk, while the A7 doesn't.
- The A6 has a surround-view camera for parking, while the A7 doesn't (can't support it due to the nature of its design)
- The rear windows of the A7 go only about half-way down, while the ones on the A6 go nearly all the way down.
- The rear seats of the A7 have reduced head room compared to the A6.

Personally, I didn't care for most of the differences except the design: I thought if I were to pay $10K more, it was purely for the design, but at the end I settled with the A6, as I found the design of the A6 quite appealing to me.

Last edited by agjil; 10-30-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

If the A7 doesn't have grocery hooks then I'm not going to get one.

Quick Reply: A6 vs A7: why the big $ gap?