Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 vs S6

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the most idiotic "discussion" I've ever seen on this board. What has this got to do with A6 vs S6?

Penile measurements will be taking in the morning in room 302. Please be on time.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by last911
This is the most idiotic "discussion" I've ever seen on this board. What has this got to do with A6 vs S6?

Penile measurements will be taking in the morning in room 302. Please be on time.
Cool, is that your room!?

I have never seen a thread stay fully on topic on a forum. They usually start that way, go off track once or twice, then get back to the point in question eventually. I personally see no problem with that. This thread has got slightly childish and insulting, but the petrol v diesel topic (which this temporarily turned into) is always a hot one.

My personal view is that if I can afford a 500bhp V8 then I'll have an RS6, an XFR or an M5 and definitely no diesel. But, if we're talking comparative V6's, where in Europe at least, the top spec TDI is faster and more economical and also delivers the power lower down in the revs, so it feels much faster and not just the little bit faster it actually is.....I'll take the diesel.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex313
Cool, is that your room!? I have never seen a thread stay fully on topic on a forum. They usually start that way, go off track once or twice, then get back to the point in question eventually. I personally see no problem with that. This thread has got slightly childish and insulting, but the petrol v diesel topic (which this temporarily turned into) is always a hot one. My personal view is that if I can afford a 500bhp V8 then I'll have an RS6, an XFR or an M5 and definitely no diesel. But, if we're talking comparative V6's, where in Europe at least, the top spec TDI is faster and more economical and also delivers the power lower down in the revs, so it feels much faster and not just the little bit faster it actually is.....I'll take the diesel.
And that is my whole point in the first place That "the top spec diesel TDI" that you'll take is not the same diesel for sale in the US.

And THAT car in Europe is cheaper than the gas version, so if you are paying more in the US for a car that is cheaper elsewhere you are overpaying (Regardless of personal preferences)

It was Kevin's responses that got the thread insulting and yours didn't help either, the burger example was just to put in really easy terms to understand (because he seems to not understand simple purchase power parity) and he keeps saying the TDI is faster when even Audi says it is not.

And yes I prefer my "short term satisfaction car" over the TDI for sale here (240hp), so obviously I prefer the S6 over a TDI. Which was the OP original question

The 3.0T is an incredible engine, Audi detunes engines to sell different versions of it, (S7 vs RS7, a6/A7 vs S4/S5, Q7 premium plus vs prestige)

It is not a uncommon practice Mercedes did the same with its 6.2 liter found in 63 models (the C was detuned vs E,S,CL)

Why Audi changed from a 4.2liter V8 (still found in R8s) to a 3.0T (and not a TDI) tells you how capable this engine is.

Not everyone is willing to tune his car, but if you do the 3.0T is one of the best engines ever made by Audi.

Last edited by feralc; 01-26-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

The flaw in the US vs ROW market pricing is exactly how the cars are equipped. Most of the US cars come with far more items as standard asdo those in the ROW. We pay for that.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by feralc
And that is my whole point in the first place That "the top spec diesel TDI" that you'll take is not the same diesel for sale in the US.

It was Kevin's responses that got the thread insulting and yours didn't help either, the burger example was just to put in really easy terms to understand (because he seems to not understand simple purchase power parity) and he keeps saying the TDI is faster when even Audi says it is not.

Why Audi changed from a 4.2liter V8 (still found in R8s) to a 3.0T (and not a TDI) tells you how capable this engine is.

Not everyone is willing to tune his car, but if you do the 3.0T is one of the best engines ever made by Audi.
Audi S4 v Audi RS4. Does Supercharging Rule? - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube
You are right and audi is right, the 3.0t on paper is faster. Kevin is right, along with almost every car review outside the U.S., don't waste your money in the 3.0t as it is harder to get the power out of it and in real world driving it "feels" slower.

The rest of your facts sound great, but aren't quite true either. Audi may still be using the petrol in the A6, but in Europe, the SQ5 and RSQ3 are both powered by the BiTdi. You think audi are preferring petrol, yet they are investing millions in diesel Le Mans winners?! The latest engine development is a twin turbo diesel with a supercharger to get rid of lag.
You can see where their investment is going. The only thing that might stop it is the emissions argument.

Great tuning video, a number of changes to get the power. A $300 tuning box gives a diesel 400 bhp and 555 lb ft.

There are 2 reasons for not selling the BiTdi in the US.

1. It is faster and more economical than the 3.0t, therefore it would put US buyers off the 3.0t, as it did in the rest of the world. Why buy a petrol when the diesel is better.

2. However, it is still a diesel, so Americans still wouldnt buy it either. So they'd sell less 3.0 petrol cars and less 3.0 diesels.

I actually love a high powered petrol car, nothing better. But diesels are pretty good now and are where audi are investing.

Last edited by Alex313; 01-26-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Guys, let's keep the back and forth civil. This gas vs. diesel argument has been hashed over many times in various threads and those who own either will not convince the other over which is better, faster, less costly, etc. It's really a pointless exercise.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Guys, let's keep the back and forth civil. This gas vs. diesel argument has been hashed over many times in various threads and those who own either will not convince the other over which is better, faster, less costly, etc. It's really a pointless exercise.
I know that it is a thankless job, and can be like hearding cats, but your efforts are much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I know that it is a thankless job, and can be like hearding cats, but your efforts are much appreciated. Thanks.
You're welcome. That's actually my official title - Senior Assistant Cat Herder to Kris Hansen, AudiWorld Grand Poobah.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by last911

Bwaaahhahaha! Couldn't agree more.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

FWIW I love my 2013 A6 with the 2.0 four. It may take 1.2 to 1.4 seconds longer than than the TDI or 3.0 TSFI to each 60 mph, but I am OK with that.
I like the crisper feel of its lighter front end (the 2.0 is 221 lbs. lighter than the TDi with most if not all of that on the front end; and 144 lb. lighter than the 3.0 gas car). That lighter front end shows when you drive the car; I have driven all three versions mentioned here and the toss-ability of the 2.0 on twisty roads is much better, though ultimate skid pad G-force numbers undoubtedly go to the heavier cars with their bigger, wider tires.
To each their own I guess (my non-cost related choice would be the S6, if I felt it wise to spend the extra bucks lol).

Quick Reply: A6 vs S6