Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Any tips for dynamat trunk, removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips for dynamat trunk, removal

I have a Kicker sub and works great but after 1yr the rear deck where the stock sub sits rattles at certain Hz. And the trunk itself has some metal rattle pops outside the car.

I bought some great dynamat and a roller and I figure I will add some liner to the rear trunck piece and the rear deck.

The trunk looks easy, clips and some screws

Rear deck, Can I remove the liner from inside the trunk, easy pop off? Or do I have to remove the deck from inside the car the trim pieces and sunshade etc?

Side walls: Look easy remove side trim and line?

I know Dyna mat little goes a long way but any advice for those that did this. Bang for the buck just do the rear trunk top and underside of rear deck of trunk and should be good no need to hit fenderwalls?
Old 05-23-2016, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

It depends on what kind of rattles you have.

Dynamat is for taming resonances in the metal panels. It works by adding weight to the metal which lowers the effective resonant frequency.

If you have a rattle because a plastic interior panel is vibrating against a hard surface, then Dynamat will only be slightly effective. For these kinds of rattles, you need to wedge a soft material in between the panels that are vibrating to prevent the noise. Closed cell foam, wool felt, soft fleece all can work well.

In my car, we used a combination of Focal BAM (like dynamat), closed-cell foam and mass-loaded vinyl. Almost every inch of metal we could find got treated with the BAM.

2 layers of CCF + MLV are on the floor of the car, and 1 layer of same inside the doors. The CCF + MLV are used to block road noise from outside the car. The road noise levels in my car went from 80-85 dB @ 70 mph to 65 dB after the sound treatments. That's almost a 20 dB reduction in road noise. HUGE difference.

We also used some of the BlackHole Tiles inside the front doors when I had my 8" woofers installed there.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
It depends on what kind of rattles you have.

Dynamat is for taming resonances in the metal panels. It works by adding weight to the metal which lowers the effective resonant frequency.

If you have a rattle because a plastic interior panel is vibrating against a hard surface, then Dynamat will only be slightly effective. For these kinds of rattles, you need to wedge a soft material in between the panels that are vibrating to prevent the noise. Closed cell foam, wool felt, soft fleece all can work well.

In my car, we used a combination of Focal BAM (like dynamat), closed-cell foam and mass-loaded vinyl. Almost every inch of metal we could find got treated with the BAM.

2 layers of CCF + MLV are on the floor of the car, and 1 layer of same inside the doors. The CCF + MLV are used to block road noise from outside the car. The road noise levels in my car went from 80-85 dB @ 70 mph to 65 dB after the sound treatments. That's almost a 20 dB reduction in road noise. HUGE difference.

We also used some of the BlackHole Tiles inside the front doors when I had my 8" woofers installed there.

I started matting the underside of the metal deck in the trunk and only half done and the difference is HUGE. I was at 20% gain on my amp and after the sub was not even loud no hit now at 45% gain and much tighter and rattles dropped by 90-%

But how do I remove the rear gray trunk liner on the trunk itself? Part where latch and taillight sit behind ?