Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Anyone done an extensive 2016 vs 2012-2015 comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry Jason Litka ... not Lipka ... would be nice if we had an after post edit function
Old 04-17-2015, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is the 2016 Prestige A6 with S-Line Sports pack with Black optics pk the new engine pics are from, but without the Drivers Assistance pack as noted by the absence of the two front radar domes in the two new bolder and more aggressive front air intakes compared to both the prior versions and as well the 2016 A6 in regular non S-line Sport pack front end, side sill and rear end differences in bumper treatment. Note too, that with the Black optic pack this car has the all black front grill.

Tornado Grey Metallic 2016 A6 Prestige-S-Line Sports and Black optic pack with 19" Black optic 10 spoke wheels

Opposite side Tornado Grey Metallic 1016 A6 Prestige, S-line Sports and Black Optics packs can see the bolder side sills and front bumber area here as well as part of S-line option

Now compare the above shots to a Glacier White Metallic 2016 A6 Prestige with Drivers Assistance pack but without the S-line Sports pack with its more aggressive front and rear end and side sill treatment .. quite a notably different feeling from this style well meant more for the luxury look with less sporty emphasis .. though I do really like the chrome horizontal slats in the front grill.

Glacier White Metallic 2016 A6 Prestige - Drivers Assistance Package. Without S-line front end. side sill and rear end treatment

Same glacier white met 2016 A6 Prestige with Drivers assistance pack

The rear lights are more angular and have a much darker red lens than prior models plus the horizontal hockey stick like LED. This is not the S-line rear treament .. Also note the plished aluminum or chrome accent strip at bottom lip of trunk lid. The only thing is this accent was obviously designed with Euro license plates in mind and with the stock black mounting bracket for the US plates the one Audi uses extends 1.2" down over the top center of chrome accent strip. A slimmer bracket needed.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

@Hulamau

I can't tell from your pictures but from this picture, it looks like the brake calipers are also revised:

Old 04-17-2015, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

The front wheel disc brake Calipers are on the back side of of the disc in the 2016 A6, as I believe they on the front of the discs on the earlier models is that not correct? The rear disc calipers are on the front side of the rear discs on the A6 and this set up is correct for at least from 2016 through 2014 Im pretty sure.

The following couple photos gives a good view of the rear end differences between the 2016 A6 Prestige or Premium Plus without the S-line Sports pack's more agressive and sportier lower front and rear body work and side sills, compared to the Prestige version with the full LED headlights as in all Prestige models but with the bolder body work around the lower perimeters all around.

Note, in particular, on the white 2016 A6 rear end shots below without the S-line pack how the metal work on each rear corner extending down from each taillight corner does not flesh out to even and flush with the outer edges of the tail light, creating that side view of an overbite with the original tail light and bodywork design.

This is 2016 A6 Premium Plus without S-line Sports pack rear end treatment. Notice how the sheet metal on the rear just under the tail lights is recessed and not flush with the outer edge of the taillights similar to the original design even though with a new bumper and rectangular tailpipes and darker red and more streamlined tail light lens.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Now compare that shot with the 2016 Prestige with S-line Sports Pack rear end treatment

2016 A6 Prestige with S-Line Sports pack rear end. Its a little hard to tell on this shot but the sheet metal wrapping around the corners under the two taillights is extended out and comes up flush to the bottom edge of each taillight, thus filling in the taillight overbite of the first 5 years of the car when viewed from the side.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Heres a better rear end shot of the fully loaded 2016 A6 Prestige, S-line Sports, Drivers Assistance, Comfort Seat, B&O, 20" wheel set showing the S-line rear end treatment to compare with the white rear end on a non-S-line Sport pack model above.

2016 A6 Prestige with S-line sports pack and 20" wheels
Old 04-17-2015, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkv5
@Hulamau

I can't tell from your pictures but from this picture, it looks like the brake calipers are also revised:

This is what the current 3.0T (non s-line?) calipers look like compared to the picture above:

Old 04-18-2015, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks like the trunk lid overbite is still there.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulamau
And thanks Newmoon for hte updates mpg listings are these form Audiusa.com? As of a couple days ago, last time I checked they had the 2016 A7 mpg listed as they have for a while now, but not yet the A6.
It's all from the EPA website fueleconomy.gov . Thanks for your extensive write-up and pics!
Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
It's all from the EPA website fueleconomy.gov . Thanks for your extensive write-up and pics!
Yes that's were I saw the specs first on the 2016 A6, thanks.

And Mtdv5 (hope I got that right? the smaller brake calipers on the white A6 with the ten spoke wheels standing on grass is from a 2.0T car reviewed in Europe...

Check the side shot above of the Tornado Grey A6 3.0T from Audi Hawaii two weeks ago in Honolulu when I was there visiting my old home if 38 years (most of my adult life).

Zoom in on the front wheel and you will see the same calipers on your 3.0T or 3.0TDI.

And regarding the overbite still remaining in this new 2016 A6s that do NOT have the S-line Sports pack this is true. The did fill in the sheet metal corners slightly on the non S-line models but only the S-line Soorts pack equipped A6s and all S6s have filled in that side view overbite entirely and to good effect I think. Not sure why Audi didn't carry it through with the non-S-line models too, but you will notice a slighter deeper bumper too on the S-line rear end, and the lower rear valance/ mild diffuser on the S-line has a mix of honeycomb and smooth dark ABS plastic design while the non-S-line valance is all smooth dark plastic, and yet both models of A6s sport the new rectangular tail pipes ... Only the S6 still retains its twin double round exhaust tips.

Quick Reply: Anyone done an extensive 2016 vs 2012-2015 comparison?