Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Aspherical mirror Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Someone will. Pretty reasonable for an Audi OEM upgrade. The actual cost difference in the parts is negligible. I wonder why they didn't do it like on my Honda
Old 02-09-2016, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Honda and Audi have completely different target markets. So they cater differently to their consumers based on many differing customer preferences and consumer income brackets. Premium products lose their appeal if they follow same business strategy and pricing as non premium products.
There is a science to product/consumer differentiation.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, my Odyssey Touring Elite costs the same as a base A6, so it's certainly in the same boat as that car. I understand Audi is charging more on items because they can, but given that the aspherical mirror (heated and auto-dimming with blind spot detection) is included on the Touring Elite Odyssey and not available at all on the A6/S6 in the US, by your rationale, it's not a premium product people would want in the US.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow just looked up the van and that's a heck of a nice van. Good point, But we can agree that a touring van and a German luxury/sports car is definitely a different target consumer. The fact that you have both just makes you a man of distinctive varied taste. And a tall one at that LOL.

Whatever the reason for the mirror not being available on Audis in the US... i'm sure both companies spent much-much money to reach the decision on how to option and differentiate their products.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, I don't know that it's a different target consumer, but instead it's a different use for that consumer. Lots of houses around here that have german cars and BMWs, Audis or MB sedans or coupes with Odysseys or Siennas. True, there are lots of those brands of SUVs for that purpose instead of vans too, but no SUV is as good for a family with small/medium-sized children as a van, so people buy the best vans available even if they have a preference for a different brand.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looking forward to further discussion on this... (and may best informed argument win) but since this has started to become a two person dialogue, I'm going to move this conversation to Private messaging. I want to keep this thread about general knowledge of a Mod and not a public display of a debate club. "What happens in debate club... stays in debate club" LOL.

Bring it on!!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hah, yeah. Anyway, very cool you have the aspherical mirror now. Wonder if the regular mirrors have a market. If so, that would make it much more enticing! I can't imagine that if someone needed the mirrors that the non-aspherical would be valued much less.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a Honda fan, but maybe you could retro fit the Civic side camera(LaneWatch). Saw that on a friend's, and was sad Audi was behind the times on this feature.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Okay, well, we're on a tangent, but I'll go with it…LaneWatch is a bit wonky (you have to look at a display in the middle of the car to see behind you on the right). Audi could certainly do this with the existing camera under the mirror if it wanted to.

The Odyssey Touring models have LaneWatch (starting in '14) but no blindspot detection, whereas the Touring Elite models eschew the LaneWatch in favor of blindspot detection like in our cars. They've had this on Odysseys since '11. I don't know if the Touring models have aspherical mirrors like my TE, but I don't recall seeing it listed in the features when buying it.

All in, the vehicle is awesome with the kids, except for one thing that drives me crazy: When moving, most of the functions on the displays aren't functional. Our 12 didn't have that issue, and you could import CDs to the hard drive, enter nav destinations, etc. However, in the '14+, no dice. I would definitely pay for a solution to that.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Aspherical mirrors arrived today. Yay!
O-M-G. I said it before and I'll say it again, it's like side mirrors on steroids. Yes I have an extra set I will be putting up for sale but I'm not lying about how impressed I am with the better visibility just to offload them. I'm fine keeping them to give away as a x-mas present if they don't sell.

I installed the first set today and drove all day with it to make sure all works well.
I will test second set tomorrow. After I verify all works well.. I will post the extra set up for sale.

After installing these... my car felt faster!
LOL J/K
But definitely felt more aware and empowered.

Quick Reply: Aspherical mirror Mod