Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Connect on AT&T (2015 A6)...it works!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JRomulus
The best advice I've seen really is to go in person to an AT&T store. I did that, and after going through the same issues you encountered, had the store manager sitting in the passenger seat of my Audi helping me getting it setup and marveling at the car. And yes, he worked out the IMEI issue.
If I remember correctly, I said "watch" as I put my phone sim (in an adapter) into the sim slot and he knew what he had to do to get the new sim/IMEI to work. I also showed him the press release from AT&T stating the price would be the same as a Tablet.

What year is your car?
The workaround that I had to go with was activating a sim to another IMEI (tablet, phone whatever) and then popping that sim card into the A6. As noted in prior posts, if you go the phone route you'll be paying slightly more ($5 more w/ AT&T) per month. The issue for me was that AT&T's system would not allow them to activate the Audi's IMEI because it was tied to T-Mobile. I concluded that along the way AT&T established a way to recognize if someone was attempting to migrate their Audi from T-Mobile over to AT&T and forbid it. Whether this was driven by T-Mobile, Audi, or not the case at all I'm uncertain.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mchltschr
The workaround that I had to go with was activating a sim to another IMEI (tablet, phone whatever) and then popping that sim card into the A6. As noted in prior posts, if you go the phone route you'll be paying slightly more ($5 more w/ AT&T) per month. The issue for me was that AT&T's system would not allow them to activate the Audi's IMEI because it was tied to T-Mobile. I concluded that along the way AT&T established a way to recognize if someone was attempting to migrate their Audi from T-Mobile over to AT&T and forbid it. Whether this was driven by T-Mobile, Audi, or not the case at all I'm uncertain.
The above workaround is what the AT&T store personnel did for me. I pay (tablet rate) $11.46 per month including tax and never have to work about counting megabytes any more. T-Mobile is on its way out. AT&T announced their new partnership with Audi some time ago (has it been 2 years already?), so they have every incentive to add customers/devices.. to make it work. Sometimes you have to educate the local AT&T stores because its not every day someone comes in and asks for a SIM for their car....
Old 04-27-2016, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014 A6, where do you find the IMEI? I got an AT&T sim card; stuck it in the slot and the car didn't recognize the card. I also tried to add the car in the myAudi web site and it didn't recognize the sim number. I tried to get the AT&T store folks to add the sim to my mobile share plan and they said I had to go to the dealer to activate. No one in this thread has mentioned having to do that.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Deftly
I have a 2014 A6, where do you find the IMEI? I got an AT&T sim card; stuck it in the slot and the car didn't recognize the card. I also tried to add the car in the myAudi web site and it didn't recognize the sim number. I tried to get the AT&T store folks to add the sim to my mobile share plan and they said I had to go to the dealer to activate. No one in this thread has mentioned having to do that.
Deftly, I have a 2014 A6 and found the IMEI number within the MMI. Go to Tel / Settings / Data Connection / Online Status Overview - that's where I found mine.

Like JR mentioned, if you go into an AT&T store and get a rep willing to work with you it should go smooth. I did need to provide the IMEI number, and my understanding is they couple that number, the SIM #, and FWIW I also have a phone number associated with the A6 but I am only paying the tablet rate of ~11.50 per month including taxes and fees. I think AT&T just wants a phone number associated with each device in the family plan.

The other thing I learned the hard way was to ask for a 3G and not an LTE activation. Best to make sure the rep knows that because I think the default is the newer LTE technology which we don't have in the 2014's. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got back from the AT&T store and no joy. I gave them the car's IMEI and at that point I was dead in the water. Beats me why, but as best as I can figure it was because the AT&T system didn't like the car's IMEI number. Of course Audi Connect was no help because they are "under contract" with T-Mobile for the 2014 cars. For those of you who have been successful tricking the system by pretending the car was a tablet where did you get the IMEI to use?
Old 05-03-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deftly
Just got back from the AT&T store and no joy. I gave them the car's IMEI and at that point I was dead in the water. Beats me why, but as best as I can figure it was because the AT&T system didn't like the car's IMEI number. Of course Audi Connect was no help because they are "under contract" with T-Mobile for the 2014 cars. For those of you who have been successful tricking the system by pretending the car was a tablet where did you get the IMEI to use?
When I had AT&T work before, I had them activate the SIM in a store tablet. IMEI was never an issue once it was activated. This was 6 months ago, so things might have changed.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

AT&T does not recognize the car's IMEI in their database. I would think if you owned or borrowed a tablet, you could use that IMEI to activate the sim and then use it in the car on your share plan. AFAIK, the IMEI is to activate the sim only for an eligible device - after that it doesn't matter (assuming the car's modem is applicable for the AT&T 3G frequency and the MMI APN setting is correct).