Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Connect on AT&T (2015 A6)...it works!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

By my math, streaming Netflix movies in their lowest quality will consume about 300-400MB per hour or about 6-7 2 hour movies per month with 5GB (assuming no other Audi Connect use and, if streaming via the car's 3G wifi hot spot, it can provide a usable video stream). At $50 per month, that would be about $8 per movie. Ouch.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KickAss
Am I reading that right? $50/month for 5GB? If so, that's a pretty bad setup. I hope you meant $5/month for 50GB limit.
Yep .. you read it right - $50 for 5GB. It works well for me because I can enable the service for road trips, and have it off other times (ie, no contract).
Old 09-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
By my math, streaming Netflix movies in their lowest quality will consume about 300-400MB per hour or about 6-7 2 hour movies per month with 5GB (assuming no other Audi Connect use and, if streaming via the car's 3G wifi hot spot, it can provide a usable video stream). At $50 per month, that would be about $8 per movie. Ouch.
The kids usually watch short episodes on A.Prime/Netflix, or play online games, etc ... anyways, it seems to be working for now. In another comment I posted ... the main benefit for me was that I can enable/disable/change the service whenever (ie, no contract). Realistically I'll probably only have it active for road trips. --
Old 09-03-2015, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesmith
The kids usually watch short episodes on A.Prime/Netflix, or play online games, etc ... anyways, it seems to be working for now. In another comment I posted ... the main benefit for me was that I can enable/disable/change the service whenever (ie, no contract). Realistically I'll probably only have it active for road trips. --
$50 per month is really steep. You might save a lot of money with TruPhone, a pay as you go provider that also uses the AT&T network, especially since the video watching will only be occasional.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
$50 per month is really steep. You might save a lot of money with TruPhone, a pay as you go provider that also uses the AT&T network, especially since the video watching will only be occasional.
Thanks for the tip! -- I'll check out TruPhone.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got my 2015 Audi S3 working with AT&T. I went to my nearest AT&T branch and asked for one of those free tablet deals and requested to add the tablet to my shared plan. I then went online and purchased a SIM adapter to convert micro-SIM card that to Standard SIM card. Took the SIM card out of the tablet, put it in the adapter, then inserted the whole thing in the slot in the glove box and voila! I did not need to make any changes on the MMI. Just waited a couple of minutes and it was working.

Since I was already an AT&T customer, the whole thing was a one time activation fee of $40 and $10 a month to allow the tablet use my data-bucket.

Funny thing that in my AT&T portal, the icon for the tablet got updated with the logo of "Audi Connect".

I probably will end up leaving the "free" tablet in the glove box for those times your passangers need to browse something on the go.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Success on my end. Here are the steps I had to take:

My 2014 Audi A6 was set for T-Mobile from the factory. I tried registering for a generic tablet with AT&T onto my family plan with no luck as an IMEI number is required. AT&T did provide me a larger sized SIM that fit my car.

Called AT&T to try and register the SIM to the car's IMEI number. The guy at AT&T actually really wanted to get this to work but his system was preventing him from doing anything further to register my car's IMEI. I believe this is because it is tied to T-Mobile and AT&T has gotten wise to preventing the workaround, but that's just a theory.

As I don't own a 3G tablet (WiFi only) I remember that I recently upgraded my mom's iPhone (she's on my family plan) and she still had her old phone. Took that phone's IMEI and registered it with AT&T to the SIM number from the large SIM I was provided. Popped the SIM into my car and boom, 3G without fail. I've actually never seen it switch to 2G, but I live and drive in and around the city of Milwaukee where coverage is quite good.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mchltschr

My 2014 Audi A6 was set for T-Mobile from the factory. I tried registering for a generic tablet with AT&T onto my family plan with no luck as an IMEI number is required. AT&T did provide me a larger sized SIM that fit my car.

Called AT&T to try and register the SIM to the car's IMEI number. The guy at AT&T actually really wanted to get this to work but his system was preventing him from doing anything further to register my car's IMEI. I believe this is because it is tied to T-Mobile and AT&T has gotten wise to preventing the workaround, but that's just a theory.

As I don't own a 3G tablet (WiFi only) I remember that I recently upgraded my mom's iPhone (she's on my family plan) and she still had her old phone. Took that phone's IMEI and registered it with AT&T to the SIM number from the large SIM I was provided. Popped the SIM into my car and boom, 3G without fail. I've actually never seen it switch to 2G, but I live and drive in and around the city of Milwaukee where coverage is quite good.
Keep an eye on your AT&T bill, as your shared plan may consider your old phone's IMEI as a phone and not a tablet. This may affect how much you will be charged per month (from what the AT&T guy told me).
Old 09-18-2015, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mchltschr

Congrats. I don't believe the car is set to T-Mobile but to a specific 3G band or frequency that T-Mobile and AT&T still use.

Good advice in watching your phone bill, too. Originally they set me up and when I checked online, it said "WiFi Hotspot" and was going to cost $15/Mo + tax. I did and online chat and got a one month credit and then went back to the store, and the manager eventually used an IMEI from a Ipad he had and no problem, back to $10/Mo + tax. I really think AT&T WANTS to make it work, because every new line is more potential revenue, regardless of the source, and internet connected devices is not the future, its already here.

Our family plan with AT&T has 6 devices now and 15GB per month. So whatever I use in the car is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

I still keep my Truphone sim in the car just in case.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JRomulus
Congrats. I don't believe the car is set to T-Mobile but to a specific 3G band or frequency that T-Mobile and AT&T still use.

Good advice in watching your phone bill, too. Originally they set me up and when I checked online, it said "WiFi Hotspot" and was going to cost $15/Mo + tax. I did and online chat and got a one month credit and then went back to the store, and the manager eventually used an IMEI from a Ipad he had and no problem, back to $10/Mo + tax. I really think AT&T WANTS to make it work, because every new line is more potential revenue, regardless of the source, and internet connected devices is not the future, its already here.

Our family plan with AT&T has 6 devices now and 15GB per month. So whatever I use in the car is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

I still keep my Truphone sim in the car just in case.
Definitely good advice to keep an eye on charges. I'm in the same boat with the family plan and rollover data (I have my whole family on my account and they absolutely do not use our full data plan each month). Most I'll see on the line is $15 a month and to be honest I'm doing it more as a trial than anything. To date I've used it twice in the past 3 weeks and both of those were sending destinations to the car via Google Maps. A nice to have but can easily be circumvented with regular nav or just using my phone.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect on AT&T (2015 A6)...it works!