Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Drive Select

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Audi Drive Select

I have a US 2.0T FWD CVT and have a question about the Drive Select system. If I put it in Auto, will it automatically change any of the three settings:
1. engine/transmission
2. steering
3. belt tensioner
between Comfort and Dynamic depending on my driving style or the road conditions?

My impression from reading the manual is no, Auto is a FIXED setting that is meant to be in the middle of Comfort and Dynamic.

Also, it's hard to tell because I think the CVT itself adapts to driving style and road conditions.

I have not experimented much with pulling the lever back for S mode, or to the right for M mode, which seems interesting because then the CVT has 8 fixed gear ratios...
Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newmoon
I have a US 2.0T FWD CVT and have a question about the Drive Select system. If I put it in Auto, will it automatically change any of the three settings:
1. engine/transmission
2. steering
3. belt tensioner
between Comfort and Dynamic depending on my driving style or the road conditions?

My impression from reading the manual is no, Auto is a FIXED setting that is meant to be in the middle of Comfort and Dynamic.

Also, it's hard to tell because I think the CVT itself adapts to driving style and road conditions.

I have not experimented much with pulling the lever back for S mode, or to the right for M mode, which seems interesting because then the CVT has 8 fixed gear ratios...
The Auto mode will set:
1- Engine/Transmission to "Balanced"
2- Steering to "Balanced"
3- Belt to "Standard"

So it is fixed settings for Auto, for steering for example in comfort mode steering will be "comfort" while Auto mode "Balanced" & sport mode steering will be "sport" or heavier.
So no adaptation while you driving for the areas you listed. The transmission itself adapts to your driving style, I have 8 speed tranny & it is adaptive.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Snagitseven's Audi Drive Select Primer

I've done quite a bit deal of research on the Audi Drive Select system since it first appeared in the U.S. B8 A4 in 2008. My understanding from what I have read is the Auto mode setting is not "fixed" per se but is variable to a degree within ADS setting ranges and acts differently depending on whether you are talking about steering or throttle/shift mapping.

Steering: In all modes, including Auto, the steering effort is less at slower speeds and more at higher speeds. The Comfort, Auto and Dynamic modes set the variable effort range higher or lower but there's still a difference at varying speeds, albeit limited to the mode selected.
Dynamic steering ratio is variable based on speed only and has the same effect in all selected ADS modes. (see below from Audi)

Engine Throttle and Transmission: In all ADS modes, the throttle and shift mapping are adjusted to the driving style through many vehicle and driver inputs determined by speed, angle, throttle demand, etc.

In Dynamic or Comfort modes, the car adjusts to software maps appropriate to each mode selected. However, when in the Auto mode, the ADS will adjust from comfort to dynamic automatically over the full range available. In other words, Auto mode is not fixed but variable from Comfort to Dynamic depending on what the car is doing at any given time. To see this work, while driving, stomp the accelerator pedal to the floor in Auto mode. If you were just cruising along (presumably in Comfort mode), it goes from "Comfort" to "Dynamic" instantly at full throttle and max shift revs.

"D" and "S" (sport) Mode: This can confuse the issue a bit. When you go to S mode on the gear shift selector, it overrides the ADS setting to Dynamic mode (unless of course the ADS is already set to Dynamic) for the throttle and shift mapping (steering is not affected).

Seat Belt Tensioner: Not completely sure but I suspect the belt lock sensitivity is speed dependent on the ADS mode. Dynamic will lock the belt at lower speed, Comfort at higher speed. Or, it could also be sensitive dependent on g-force and angle. I'm not positive if Auto is variable. Will have to play with this further.

Suspension Damping: Unfortunately, as we U.S. C7 owners know, there is no adjustable suspension damping available as part of the ADS system as found in many other U.S. models. Perhaps Audi will make it available in future U.S. A6/A7's. (Edit Note: All C7 S6 and S7 models have adjustable air suspension damping).

(If anyone can point me to any references that provide corrections to the above, I would be appreciative).

(From Audi's website}:
Dynamic Ratio Steering:

Audi dynamic steering alters the steering ratio depending on the vehicle speed and simultaneously adjusts the steering torque to match the ratio: for a more precise steering feel and better road surface feedback.
At high motorway speeds, Audi dynamic steering adopts a more indirect steering ratio, thus eliminating nervousness in the steering and improving straight-line directional stability. If on the other hand the vehicle is being driven at low to medium speeds on twisting roads, a more direct ratio is used to increase steering precision and speed up steering response. And finally during parking the steering has a direct ratio to make manoeuvring easier for the driver. Audi dynamic steering is only available in conjunction with Audi drive select.

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-10-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Snagitseven! That was very helpful. I was also reading the 2013 brochure and it says:

- Auto mode
The best of both worlds, dialed to automatically adjust settings for a seamless combination of comfort and responsiveness based on your driving style and road conditions.

Which makes sense, because to me, the word "auto" indicates that the system is doing something and changing settings by itself, not just staying at a fixed setting in the middle.

Also I did not think that models sold in the US had variable ratio steering? Dynamic Steering ratio was listed as an option on the Audi UK website.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven

Suspension Damping: Unfortunately, as we U.S. C7 owners know, there is no adjustable suspension damping available as part of the ADS system as found in many other U.S. models. Perhaps Audi will make it available in future U.S. A6/A7's.
snagitseven: That is one hell of a post, thanks!

one question though, regarding the suspension: Doesn't the S6 come with the adjustable suspension?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice tutorial!
I have two comments, and one question.

Comment: I had a 2.0T loaner for about a week; I played with S and D quite a bit. THe car 'pretends' to have an 8 speed transmission, but the 'gears' are different in S vs. D. To prove this to yourself, go on the freeway in D mode, then switch to manual and set the transmission to 8th gear. Note the RPM vs. speed readings. Go back to Auto mode, pull on the stick to move it to 'S' mode, and return to manual mode; shift to 8th. Note RPM vs. speed; the ratio will be different, even though the car is in 8th gear. So, the ratios that they choose are different in both modes.

Efficiency mode: I tweaked channel 66 on central electric to add the 'efficiency' option to drive select. I actually liked it; it does not seem to shift any earlier than comfort mode, and it is still responsive if you give the car some gas. I'm planning to do some A/B fuel economy tests to see if it makes any difference, but since I only have 1500 miles on the car right now, it's probably a bit early to get reliable results. My fuel economy is on the dismal side right now (about 17MPG, 50% city).

Question: Is dynamic steering a software only thing, or is the hardware (steering rack, etc.) different? As far as I know, the C7 A6 does not have dynamic steering; is this correct? If it's a software only thing, then it might be enableable via VAG-COM.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by manishaudi

one question though, regarding the suspension: Doesn't the S6 come with the adjustable suspension?
Yes
Old 10-10-2012, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven

I've done quite a bit deal of research on the Audi Drive Select system since it first appeared in the U.S. B8 A4 in 2008. My understanding from what I have read is the Auto mode setting is not "fixed" per se but is variable to a degree within ADS setting ranges and acts differently depending on whether you are talking about steering or throttle/shift mapping.

Steering: In all modes, including Auto, the steering effort is less at slower speeds and more at higher speeds. The Comfort, Auto and Dynamic modes set the variable effort range higher or lower but there's still a difference at varying speeds, albeit limited to the mode selected.
Dynamic steering ratio is variable based on speed only and has the same effect in all selected ADS modes. (see below from Audi)

Engine Throttle and Transmission: In all ADS modes, the throttle and shift mapping are adjusted to the driving style through many vehicle and driver inputs determined by speed, angle, throttle demand, etc.

In Dynamic or Comfort modes, the car adjusts to software maps appropriate to each mode selected. However, when in the Auto mode, the ADS will adjust from comfort to dynamic automatically over the full range available. In other words, Auto mode is not fixed but variable from Comfort to Dynamic depending on what the car is doing at any given time. To see this work, while driving, stomp the accelerator pedal to the floor in Auto mode. If you were just cruising along (presumably in Comfort mode), it goes from "Comfort" to "Dynamic" instantly at full throttle and max shift revs.

"D" and "S" (sport) Mode: This can confuse the issue a bit. When you go to S mode on the gear shift selector, it overrides the ADS setting to Dynamic mode (unless of course the ADS is already set to Dynamic) for the throttle and shift mapping (steering is not affected).

Seat Belt Tensioner: Not completely sure but I suspect the belt lock sensitivity is speed dependent on the ADS mode. Dynamic will lock the belt at lower speed, Comfort at higher speed. Or, it could also be sensitive dependent on g-force and angle. I'm not positive if Auto is variable. Will have to play with this further.

Suspension Damping: Unfortunately, as we U.S. C7 owners know, there is no adjustable suspension damping available as part of the ADS system as found in many other U.S. models. Perhaps Audi will make it available in future U.S. A6/A7's.

(If anyone can point me to any references that provide corrections to the above, I would be appreciative).

(From Audi's website}:
Dynamic Ratio Steering:

Audi dynamic steering alters the steering ratio depending on the vehicle speed and simultaneously adjusts the steering torque to match the ratio: for a more precise steering feel and better road surface feedback.
At high motorway speeds, Audi dynamic steering adopts a more indirect steering ratio, thus eliminating nervousness in the steering and improving straight-line directional stability. If on the other hand the vehicle is being driven at low to medium speeds on twisting roads, a more direct ratio is used to increase steering precision and speed up steering response. And finally during parking the steering has a direct ratio to make manoeuvring easier for the driver. Audi dynamic steering is only available in conjunction with Audi drive select.
That is great information, looks like I underestimated Auto mode capabilities. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by newmoon
...I did not think that models sold in the US had variable ratio steering? Dynamic Steering ratio was listed as an option on the Audi UK website.
Well, while it's certainly possible that Audi, in their ever infinite wisdom, decided to eliminate yet another feature in the U.S. C7, I would be surprised though, as Variable Ratio has been included as an integral part of the ADS steering system since at least the A4/A5 B8 was introduced. But then again, they eliminated the active suspension piece, so who knows. My perception when parking is that it takes less turns of the steering wheel to turn the wheels than when cornering or changing lanes at interstate speeds which would indicate it's there. I have to play with it some more to see if I can really tell a difference.

If anyone can document this either way, that would be very helpful.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by manishaudi

I was addressing the U.S. C7 A6/A7 but as pointed out in a previous reply, yes, the U.S. S6 and S7 have adjustable air suspension as well as ADS MMI settings for the sport differential that comes with the DSG transmission.
(I wonder if this foretells any air suspension issues of the 2001-2008 allroad - leaking air bladders and worn out compressors. I'm waiting for that shoe to drop on my wife's 2002 allroad - hopefully, Audi has figured out how to manf. a more robust air suspension system).

Quick Reply: Audi Drive Select