Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tire Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Failure

My 2012 A6 has 28,000 miles and the rear tires are bald and one is down to the steel cables. I was on a trip when the TPMS went off.

The front tires are OK. Does anyone know how this can be? The dealer says they can't believe the tires are gone. When I was in for the 25,000 mile inspection and at that time they said that the tires were good for another 10,000.

Last question - what tires do you guys recommend?
Old 10-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Texas Audi
My 2012 A6 has 28,000 miles and the rear tires are bald and one is down to the steel cables. I was on a trip when the TPMS went off.

The front tires are OK. Does anyone know how this can be? The dealer says they can't believe the tires are gone. When I was in for the 25,000 mile inspection and at that time they said that the tires were good for another 10,000.

Last question - what tires do you guys recommend?
I forgot to mention that I have the 20inch wheels.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Audi
I forgot to mention that I have the 20inch wheels.
There is more information needed for someone to help you

1) Are the original owner?
2) Have you ever replaced tires before
3) What type of tires do you have now? Summer? What brand?
4) When the dealer says the front tires are "ok" what does that mean? what's the tread depth?

In my own experience, getting more than 20k miles out of original tires is pretty good. I think the dealer overlooked the fact the rear tires were getting to their end of life during your last check.

On the choice of replacements, the best place to check is Tire Rack so you can view online ratings & choices. It appears currently the Michelin Pilot Super Sport are top ranked at $310 each in the 20" OE size and the Conti DWS is the top all season tire at $195 a piece. If you check the site, you can read detailed reviews from buyers of each brand. Lastly, a quick search on this board may yield more answers on this topic as well
Old 10-25-2013, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I recall in 12 the 20 inch wheels were summer tires. If that is correct I think 20K on summer tires is excellent. I had summer tires on my M37S and yanked them at 18K miles because they were under 4/32 left. I went Ultra HP All Season and at 26K miles those still had 6/32 on them.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I thought summer tires last longest because all season tires are softer and winter tires are the softest? Might have been the different brand that made your all seasons last longer but I don't think it was the fact that they were all seasons.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
I thought summer tires last longest because all season tires are softer and winter tires are the softest? Might have been the different brand that made your all seasons last longer but I don't think it was the fact that they were all seasons.
Winter tires will wear out the quickest although they are usually mounted for only 4 or 5 months per year in cold climes. All seasons, however, can typically outlast summer tires by 35% or more.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Some of the newer main stream all season tires are rated to 60-80K miles, of course those are usually for the non-enthusiast driver.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Winter tires will wear out the quickest although they are usually mounted for only 4 or 5 months per year in cold climes. All seasons, however, can typically outlast summer tires by 35% or more.
Snagit is dead right. Summer tires are very soft thus giving great dry & warm traction and wear out quickly. Interestingly enough, they do the oppositie in the extreme cold and become hard and much less able to maintain traction. Its best to swap them out albeit most people in the southern US (even those areas with temps in the teens) tend to maintain summer tires year-round.
All Seasons will outlast summer tires in almost every case
Old 10-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by atlanta A6
Snagit is dead right. Summer tires are very soft thus giving great dry & warm traction and wear out quickly. Interestingly enough, they do the oppositie in the extreme cold and become hard and much less able to maintain traction. Its best to swap them out albeit most people in the southern US (even those areas with temps in the teens) tend to maintain summer tires year-round.
All Seasons will outlast summer tires in almost every case
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Michelins and will now check the Continentals. I am the original owner, and they are the summer Pirelli tires. I guess I was not paying attention to the rears since the fronts were OK.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I went through the all-season tires on my last car (2010 A4) by about 30k. Front brakes as well...

Quick Reply: Tire Failure