Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
Agree. You do not hook up a timer to a CTEK or similiar tender.
That's why you spent the extra $$$ for the CTEK, so you can just leave it connected. It is self-regulating and will not overcharge your battery.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My C7 had to sit unused for about four weeks mid-last year. I used a Griot's Garage Battery Manager IV tender to keep the battery happy. No timer was required. At the end of the C7's vacation, it started right up as if I had driven it the day before.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
That's a good strategy for a standard battery charger. A tender is designed to only charge once battery voltage drops below a predetermined point (i.e. when it requires charging). There is absolutely no harm in leaving it permanently attached (well, at least until you drive the car again).
A friend had an expensive trickle charger fail. It ignored the charge level and eventually exploded the battery in his Turbo Carrera.

I agree that trickle chargers should not need a timer--as long as they don't fail. I simply presented a timer as an extra layer of protection if the OP were concerned.

Last edited by James517; 01-07-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

The motorcycle crowd is a big consumer of these devices and they do their occasional "annual reviews". The highest rated unit over the years seems to be the Yuasa 1.5A charger, a true 5 step design:

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/chargers.php

$60.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fEArmE
Since I have another car as the daily driver, I am not driving the A6 as often. I start it up for 5-10 minutes every 3 days and I am sure it is insufficient to keep the battery charged up.
I know you already bought what you needed from reading the thread, but IMO you did not need to do anything.

I used to own a Jeep Wrangler. it was our third vehicle. I only used it in the winter or to haul something in the spring or summer. It would often sit unused for several months at a time. I didn't do a thing to the battery, etc and it always started right up and ran like clockwork.

And no, it did no damage to the vehicle either. Had it for nearly 20 years. Only sold it when my daughter started to drive because I wanted to get her something safer she could use.

So a battery tender is overkill. No need to baby your battery like that.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
I know you already bought what you needed from reading the thread, but IMO you did not need to do anything.

I used to own a Jeep Wrangler. it was our third vehicle. I only used it in the winter or to haul something in the spring or summer. It would often sit unused for several months at a time. I didn't do a thing to the battery, etc and it always started right up and ran like clockwork.

And no, it did no damage to the vehicle either. Had it for nearly 20 years. Only sold it when my daughter started to drive because I wanted to get her something safer she could use.

Thanks for your advise. I have heard horror stories about letting car sit in the garage that the battery will die, flat spot on tires, etc. Even Audi manual suggests removing the battery and prevent it from being frozen if not driving the car. Just wanted to prevent something bad that may potentially occur.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61

Depends on the car. I would fully expect a A6 to lose batter charge over time. Especially if you have keyless entry. My 2006 Corvette would lose charge over a 3-4 week period enough to where you could only get in the car, but couldn't start it. Newer cars have too many things going on and are constantly doing things you don't know. A Jeep Wrangler - not quite the same, especially from 20 or more years ago.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Since the battery is under the spare tire in the trunk, does it make sense to use the connectors under the hood?
Old 01-11-2014, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fEArmE
Since the battery is under the spare tire in the trunk, does it make sense to use the connectors under the hood?
Yes for sure, that is what those connectors are for, Jump Starting or hooking a charger to. Positive under the Red Cover, and a big stud nearby for Negative (Ground).
Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
Yes for sure, that is what those connectors are for, Jump Starting or hooking a charger to. Positive under the Red Cover, and a big stud nearby for Negative (Ground).
Thanks for the quick feedback!

Quick Reply: Battery Tender