Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

break wear indicator reset?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break wear indicator reset?

So, I replaced my front brake pads this weekend but I still have the indicator light on.

Does anybody know how to reset it?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure you have to replace the sensor if it triggers. The way those work is when the pads wear to a certain point, the sensor hits the rotor and wears through a connection. Once that's broken, the sensor is dead - unless you want to splice the wiring. The sensors are cheap. I replaced mine when I did pads on the front. I didn't have the warning on yet, but it looked the same as a previous car that wore out the sensor.
You might be able to disable it with VAG COM, but probably not a good idea.

Originally Posted by zandym
So, I replaced my front brake pads this weekend but I still have the indicator light on.

Does anybody know how to reset it?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:50 AM
Wza
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by craignhp
Pretty sure you have to replace the sensor if it triggers. The way those work is when the pads wear to a certain point, the sensor hits the rotor and wears through a connection. Once that's broken, the sensor is dead - unless you want to splice the wiring. The sensors are cheap. I replaced mine when I did pads on the front. I didn't have the warning on yet, but it looked the same as a previous car that wore out the sensor.
You might be able to disable it with VAG COM, but probably not a good idea.
Yeah, Craig is correct. There are wear sensors on them...unfortunately the Audi ones are not cheap, $74 each from the dealer (Part #4H0615121J). Ouch!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Wza
Yeah, Craig is correct. There are wear sensors on them...unfortunately the Audi ones are not cheap, $74 each from the dealer (Part #4H0615121J). Ouch!
Genuine Audi Parts has it for $55. I've also seen them online for as little as $29,95. Google the part #.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

$$'s each! They know that you will never buy one so even one axle is 2 of them. As the part is $2 and the rest is sales, marketing, inventory etc then 2 of the them should only cost $2 more than one of them.
You can see why I'm not in marketing
Old 08-19-2015, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the replies.

The replacement pads(non-oem - Akebono) came with sensor cables that I installed along with the pads. Maybe the sensor on this new one is defective....

By the way, even on the OEM one that I removed, only the left side had a sensor cable and connector on the car. The new pads came with 2 sensor cables but I only had to use one.

Is there even a way to disable the warning via VAG-COM?
Old 08-19-2015, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

On my car, a 2012 Prestige, there was only 1 sensor/connector. Only the left had it.

Originally Posted by DB22
$$'s each! They know that you will never buy one so even one axle is 2 of them. As the part is $2 and the rest is sales, marketing, inventory etc then 2 of the them should only cost $2 more than one of them.
You can see why I'm not in marketing
Old 08-20-2015, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sensors are only on the driver side, front and rear. Mine came with the new pads. Did you do both front and rear? Maybe the light is on because the rear need changing too.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

RockAuto.com has six listings for sensors - $5.50 - $17

AUDI 2014 A6 3.0L V6 Supercharged Brake/Wheel Hub Brake Pad Wear Sensor
Old 08-21-2015, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Floyd.

I am hoping that this is the case.
Still need to avail myself of a VAG-COM cable to change the rears. (Looking to buy a used one but so far have been unsuccessful)

Originally Posted by Bartenderfloyd
Sensors are only on the driver side, front and rear. Mine came with the new pads. Did you do both front and rear? Maybe the light is on because the rear need changing too.

Quick Reply: break wear indicator reset?