Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Can you adjust Auto Start in VCDS

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you adjust Auto Start in VCDS

Mine seems to work great and other times it is too sensitive. Like in stop/go traffic it shuts off as soon as I hit the brake and come to stop still with forward momentum. Then I am off the brake and restart. In crawling traffic it is annoying and sometimes dangerous.

Other times when at long lights it shuts off and restarts which is ok but then after several lights like that it no longer shuts off, the crossed out A appears when it would make sense to shutoff as I am idling.

I am in FL too, sometimes it shutoffs off at long lights, but it must not monitor cabin temps because it will be when AC is on I am waiting for cabin to cool down then it stays off and I am sweating trying to get to work.

granted I shut it off during summer months because it is too dumb to function well. But it does appear to save me 1/2MPG maybe. Anyway to tweak the setting to be smarter?
Old 05-04-2016, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

It's not dependent the cabin temp per se but the systems load on the car and battery state. For example, if the A/C and sound system are going full blast and Google Earth is updating, the start/stop may not engage. Also, the brake pedal must be fully depressed for it to shut the engine off and if you release it just a bit to creep forward, it will disengage and not reengage for that stop.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

call me old school but i really don't like this feature on my a6.

i wish there was a way to disable this easily. would the dealer be able to shut this feature off for you?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thehaviet
call me old school but i really don't like this feature on my a6.

i wish there was a way to disable this easily. would the dealer be able to shut this feature off for you?
For the 2.0T - it remember's your last setting

For the 3.0 TDI - I believe it also remember's your last setting. from what I remember in the manual.

For the 3.0 - it remembers what you set until the car is started and stopped, then it defaults to on

The dealer wont' disable this. You will need someone with a VAG COM cable to help you out
Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 3.0 remembers the last setting as well.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Depends on the year and location. U.S. MY2016 A6 (and maybe MY2015?) will now default back to the on position each time the car is turned on. MY2013-2014 will remember last setting. UK models, which have had this feature for several years, apparently will defauly to on each time as well.
As described in other threads, you can change the behavior with VCDS.

Last edited by snagitseven; 05-05-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by manishaudi
For the 2.0T - it remember's your last setting

For the 3.0 TDI - I believe it also remember's your last setting. from what I remember in the manual.

For the 3.0 - it remembers what you set until the car is started and stopped, then it defaults to on

The dealer wont' disable this. You will need someone with a VAG COM cable to help you out
WELL... mine did disable it! but i have an extremely good relationship with them and all the mechanics
Old 05-05-2016, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have an auto start button, when I turn it off it stays off on restarts.

Now I only wish the RECIR air button would do the same it always default to off and it is annoying. they should have all these auto default as an MMI option screen to control by user!!!
Old 05-05-2016, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jjcuff1
I have an auto start button, when I turn it off it stays off on restarts.

Now I only wish the RECIR air button would do the same it always default to off and it is annoying. they should have all these auto default as an MMI option screen to control by user!!!

what is your MY?
Old 05-05-2016, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjcuff1
Mine seems to work great and other times it is too sensitive. Like in stop/go traffic it shuts off as soon as I hit the brake and come to stop still with forward momentum. Then I am off the brake and restart. In crawling traffic it is annoying and sometimes dangerous.

Other times when at long lights it shuts off and restarts which is ok but then after several lights like that it no longer shuts off, the crossed out A appears when it would make sense to shutoff as I am idling.

I am in FL too, sometimes it shutoffs off at long lights, but it must not monitor cabin temps because it will be when AC is on I am waiting for cabin to cool down then it stays off and I am sweating trying to get to work.

granted I shut it off during summer months because it is too dumb to function well. But it does appear to save me 1/2MPG maybe. Anyway to tweak the setting to be smarter?

Yes.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24683024

Quick Reply: Can you adjust Auto Start in VCDS