Cold Temperature Issues - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Log In 


A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011

Cold Temperature Issues

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2014, 02:40 AM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
Default Cold Temperature Issues

I have a 2014 A6 TDI (which I absolutely love), but now that winter has hit, I'm noticing some issues when the temperature is around 20 F and the car has sat a few hours.

First issue, when I start the car, it says "Left turn/rear light/brake light out" (or something to that effect). I've checked the car the first couple of times this occurred and all the lights were operating correctly.

Next issue is the front parking camera is non-operational, flashing a blue screen. If I sit there for a while, it seems to be buffering images until it catches up. But if I move out of what is buffered, it begins flashing again. Sometimes it starts to work correctly after it warms up, other times not so much.

I just went through my 5k service and they couldn't find anything wrong, but the service manager mentioned that another TDI owner was having the same issue as the first one. He was waiting to hear back from Audi technical support on that.

Just curious if anyone else is having these sorts of issues with their Audi. It doesn't diminish my love of the car, just an annoying niggle.
Rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:51 AM   #2
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 433
Default

The first thing I would check is the battery. The glow plugs usually kick in when starting at 40 degrees or colder. Also, the lower and higher temps do affect charge. If you have a battery tender, see if that helps overnight.

I think another thing you can try is to press the engine start button without your foot on the brake. This should turn the glow plugs on. Do this once or twice and then do it with your foot on the brake as normal.
in2dwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
AudiWorld Member
 
NightCrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
I have a 2014 A6 TDI (which I absolutely love), but now that winter has hit, I'm noticing some issues when the temperature is around 20 F and the car has sat a few hours.

First issue, when I start the car, it says "Left turn/rear light/brake light out" (or something to that effect). I've checked the car the first couple of times this occurred and all the lights were operating correctly.

Next issue is the front parking camera is non-operational, flashing a blue screen. If I sit there for a while, it seems to be buffering images until it catches up. But if I move out of what is buffered, it begins flashing again. Sometimes it starts to work correctly after it warms up, other times not so much.

I just went through my 5k service and they couldn't find anything wrong, but the service manager mentioned that another TDI owner was having the same issue as the first one. He was waiting to hear back from Audi technical support on that.

Just curious if anyone else is having these sorts of issues with their Audi. It doesn't diminish my love of the car, just an annoying niggle.
I've had some of the same issues with my 2014 Prestige 3.0. I've seen the brake light issue twice now. Both times it was below 10 degrees. Last week a new one appeared. While driving a "headlight range sensor" error popped up. I was able to park, turn the car off and back on and it cleared and hasn't reappeared. Love the car. But the electrical gremlins are a little annoying.
Attached Images
 
NightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 225
Default

Rift:
I have the same issue with the turn signal (except mine is left side). Happens only when its cold. The service department has opened up a case for it and will let me know next week.
Superfly_A6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:17 AM   #5
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
Default

Well glad to know I am not alone with this, just a shame we have to deal with it.

I am hoping to hear back from my service manager this week and will post any follow-on information I get.
Rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 94
Default

I just had my 2014 TDI in for the "left brake/turn signal/tail light out" issue when it is cold. I left it with the dealer and they reproduced the light. The Audi tech line say to clean all the wire connections and see if it comes back. I'm traveling so my car is sitting in the cold for 5 days so it will be interesting to see if I get the warning.
Toppernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #7
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 433
Default

Out of curiosity, do you all have LED headlights?
in2dwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 85
Default

I similar electric gremlins. I took video and photos of all the errors and also when the MMI screen was doing weird stuff while park assist was engaged. I sent all the photos and videos to Audi care so they would be documented by AofA. I also burned them on CD and gave them to service manager at my dealer. They were super grateful. I should find out tomorrow if they were able recreate any of the errors.
miwung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #9
AudiWorld Member
 
NightCrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2dwww View Post
Out of curiosity, do you all have LED headlights?
I do.
NightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2dwww View Post
Out of curiosity, do you all have LED headlights?
I have front LED lights too.
Superfly_A6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:23 AM   #11
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 433
Default

I recall seeing a post on this forum with a youtube clip showing the led drl flickering between white and turn signal. I can't help but wonder if the LED headlights are throwing an error, and perhaps it's because they are doing what was recorded in that video.

If anyone gets that warning, keep everything on and check the drl for a flickering turn signal.

The logic I have is... the front turn signal is twitching and the fault code is catching that the rear turn signal lights are not activating with the fronts.

It's a long shot. But I always win big on my bets.
in2dwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:24 AM   #12
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2dwww View Post
I recall seeing a post on this forum with a youtube clip showing the led drl flickering between white and turn signal. I can't help but wonder if the LED headlights are throwing an error, and perhaps it's because they are doing what was recorded in that video.

If anyone gets that warning, keep everything on and check the drl for a flickering turn signal.

The logic I have is... the front turn signal is twitching and the fault code is catching that the rear turn signal lights are not activating with the fronts.

It's a long shot. But I always win big on my bets.
I found the post:
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...ht=led+flicker
in2dwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #13
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 94
Default

I have gotten the "left read brake/turn signal/tail light out" warning three times in the cold and I don't have LED headlights - I wish I did but I don't. So having LED headlights isn't part of the problem.
The dealer was able to reproduce the error and the Audi Techline told them to clean all the wire connections & see if it comes back. My car is sitting at the airport in Boston where is cold so I expect the error when I get back but we'll see.
Toppernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 94
Default

I just got the "left read brake/turn signal/tail light out" warning again after two weeks of no warnings. I'm going back to the dealer in the morning to see what is next.
Has anyone else been to the dealer for this issue? What did they do?
Toppernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 85
Default

My car (2014 TDI)has been at dealer for two weeks with a few random electrical issues including tail light error. I was told that there was a batch of bad rear tail lights that causes errors when temps drop. Audi tech line told the dealer the error usually happens below 30F. The dealer ordered new lights and they ended being from the same batch, now, waiting for a new set. Meanwhile there's other issues like green hazing on the screen when park assist is on with all 4 cameras. The dealer said it was "normal". I called BS, since I haven't seem anybody complain about it here and couldn't find any info anywhere else.
miwung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #16
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwung View Post
Meanwhile there's other issues like green hazing on the screen when park assist is on with all 4 cameras. The dealer said it was "normal". I called BS, since I haven't seem anybody complain about it here and couldn't find any info anywhere else.
I have the green hazing. Going to the dealer on the 20th for it. They're telling me it may not be covered under warranty if it turns out that they were damaged by "an external force". I told them if it isn't then they could call over the Used car manager to appraise the car. If Audi won't stand behind their vehicles, I'm going back to BMW.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #17
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 85
Default

wow. I took videos and photos of it because they didn't believe at first. I actually took pictures of every electrical malfunction warning I've been seeing. I made sure all of it was documented in the dealer service system plus wrote a long email to Audi Care documenting each issue with videos and photos. I got a confirmation from Audi Care that my ticket will remain open until all issues are resolved.

I couldn't believe the service manager told me that the green hazing is normal. I've had three other cars with the same kind park system and never had an issue.
miwung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #18
AudiWorld Super User
 
Brooklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,292
Default

Could be weather, although it has survived colder temps without any issues, but yesterday on a brisk 24 degrees or so morning I took a right turn and instantly got a warning sign that ACC and brake guard or some such feature were disabled. About 5 minutes later I manually cycled the ACC off and then back on and all seemed back to normal. Will note it for my 15k service.
__________________
l 2013 S6 l Oolong Gray/Black l Previous: 2013 C7 A6 3.0T; 2011 B8 S4 6MT l
Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #19
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
gatorguy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I have the green hazing. Going to the dealer on the 20th for it. They're telling me it may not be covered under warranty if it turns out that they were damaged by "an external force". I told them if it isn't then they could call over the Used car manager to appraise the car. If Audi won't stand behind their vehicles, I'm going back to BMW.
Because an "external force" walked around your car hitting all 4 cameras? Sometimes the stuff that comes out of dealers mouths is ridiculous. Unfortunately, BMW dealers on a whole aren't any better than Audi. It usually comes down to your personal relationship with them more than anything.
__________________
2013 Estoril Blue S6
20" Giovanna Sardina's|ECS Spacers|Custom Spoiler|30% Ceramic Tint|Blacked out filler panel|Escort Max hardwired|Escort ZR4 Laser Shifters|Opti-coat 2.0|Stasis Rear Sway Bar|Audi Puddle Lights

Other rides:
Hottest wife ever
Her 2010 BMW M5
2008 Ford Expedition
gatorguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #20
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorguy7 View Post
Because an "external force" walked around your car hitting all 4 cameras? Sometimes the stuff that comes out of dealers mouths is ridiculous. Unfortunately, BMW dealers on a whole aren't any better than Audi. It usually comes down to your personal relationship with them more than anything.
The front one I could see being damaged by a bumper parker, but the other 3, no way.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:09 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community