Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Comfort Seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

At last you don't have to buy an A8 to get a real seat in an Audi. Whose a$$ are the Germans using for designing their seats? I don't know of another manufacturer with so many different designs of seats where they are all sub par unless you pay a lot extra for them.
The design, the leather, the features etc are a major Audi negative. When someone says Audi, you would expect more than the average vehicle not less. My seats are heated and ventilated but the leather is poor and they are uncomfortable. I could get the diamond stitching seats but then I would give up the ventilated feature. I can pay over 70k for an A6 and then have to pay silly money to get real seats? Somebody at Audi needs to get another line of work.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The standard seats may actually keep me in a BMW.. I need to drive another A6 to see if I can live with the standard seats, but I'm not sure I can and I have no interest in an $800+ payment for a car that I essentially drive to and from the train station and some minimal local driving on weekends. It's sad Audi doesn't offer the upgraded seats on a premium plus model, I would love to get an A6. But forcing me to get prestige to get decent seats may count me out. I can get a 535 with upgraded seats without having to go as high, and their standard seats have more support and bigger side bolsters than the A6's standard seats to begin with. I am going to drive one again to make sure I'm not being too hard on the A6, as I do love the car.. but the seats could be a deal breaker for me.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The standard Prestige (ventilated) seats aren't bad by any means. I guess it really depends on what you think makes a 'good' seat. I am a fairly large guy and I do not care for seats that practically attempt to 'enclose' you with side bolsters.

Personally I am quite happy with the seats and I never seriously considered the ridiculous upcharge for the 'comfort' seats. I never even knew people generally hated the regular seats until I signed up for this forum. Just my opinion.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
The standard Prestige (ventilated) seats aren't bad by any means. I guess it really depends on what you think makes a 'good' seat. I am a fairly large guy and I do not care for seats that practically attempt to 'enclose' you with side bolsters.

Personally I am quite happy with the seats and I never seriously considered the ridiculous upcharge for the 'comfort' seats. I never even knew people generally hated the regular seats until I signed up for this forum. Just my opinion.
+1

Wow, finally another big guy who thinks exactly the same thing as I do!!! And even if I was 20 and slim again (what a nice thought), I still don't think I'd need to be wrapped up in a seat. Come to think of it, these standard seats are a thousand times more comfortable than anything I drove when I was 20!
Old 05-27-2015, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2016 A6 Prestige is being built this week for delivery at Neckarsulm at the end of June. It has Contour/Comfort seats, B&O, 3.0SC, Night Vision, etc. No sport package for the wife. MSRP at $76k, purchased at $70k. Mythos on Black.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
It's 22-way.

In addition to all the normal forward-back-tilt stuff, the side bolsters on the seat bottom and back move in and out, the thigh support extends, the lumbar moves up, down, in, and out, and the head rest moves up, down, in, and out.
FWIW, my Prestige seats have full lumbar control, in, out, up and down. In fact, all my Audis since 2002 have had the full lumbar.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL

That's why I need to take another test drive. To be fair, I was a bit rushed the first time to begin with. But they reminded me too much of a MB C300 I had. Those seats felt fine in test drives but not great, they were seats… didn't make you feel anything one way or another. But after having it for a bit, they were horrible. No support and eventually I could feel things under the seat when I went over bumps. My commute at the time was 70 miles each way and it was a disaster on my back. So, while the A6 seats in the premium plus I drove were probably not as bad as those seats, I didn't think the C300's were based solely on a test drive either…

I'm by no means small but not sure I would consider myself "large" either, but larger than average with broad shoulders.. Still, I am one that likes the bigger side bolsters keeping me in place. But the wide seat back wasn't the only concern I have with the standard seats, though it could be the only valid concern. If that's the case, I can live without the bolsters way, way more than I could live with unsupportive seats.

For me, this has the potential to be a deal breaker only because I don't want to be forced into the Prestige for a car I'll barely drive.. If I could add the comfort seats on premium plus, it wouldn't factor into my decision at all.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the standard seats in a premium plus vs. prestige, in terms of support and shape? I know they add ventilation, lumbar, and more adjustments, does that include adjustable side bolsters or are the bolsters bigger than the premium plus seats? Wondering if those seats are just all around better than premium plus before you even get to the comfort seats.

Last edited by chrisny; 05-28-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Took delivery of mine yesterday. While I find the seats to be okay, my 105lb wife finds them to be a little hard, especially the back seats. Luckily we don't do that many miles a year and she wont be in the back very often. The front seat seems okay to her but time will tell. They aren't the best seats I have been in, my 2013 C250 seemed a little better but with heat, ventilation and lumbar, the A6 seats are overall better than the MB.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chrisny
That's why I need to take another test drive. To be fair, I was a bit rushed the first time to begin with. But they reminded me too much of a MB C300 I had. Those seats felt fine in test drives but not great, they were seats… didn't make you feel anything one way or another. But after having it for a bit, they were horrible. No support and eventually I could feel things under the seat when I went over bumps. My commute at the time was 70 miles each way and it was a disaster on my back. So, while the A6 seats in the premium plus I drove were probably not as bad as those seats, I didn't think the C300's were based solely on a test drive either…

I'm by no means small but not sure I would consider myself "large" either, but larger than average with broad shoulders.. Still, I am one that likes the bigger side bolsters keeping me in place. But the wide seat back wasn't the only concern I have with the standard seats, though it could be the only valid concern. If that's the case, I can live without the bolsters way, way more than I could live with unsupportive seats.

For me, this has the potential to be a deal breaker only because I don't want to be forced into the Prestige for a car I'll barely drive.. If I could add the comfort seats on premium plus, it wouldn't factor into my decision at all.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the standard seats in a premium plus vs. prestige, in terms of support and shape? I know they add ventilation, lumbar, and more adjustments, does that include adjustable side bolsters or are the bolsters bigger than the premium plus seats? Wondering if those seats are just all around better than premium plus before you even get to the comfort seats.
Try to go on an extended test drive and compare both but the Prestige seats are not that much better than P+. I drove both and decided that Prestige wasn't worth it just for the seats. I share the opinion of many that Audi treats the seats more as an afterthought (at least in U.S. spec trims) which is a bummer because a 50k+ car should have good, supportive and adjustable seats in my opinion. Contour seats seem to be the way to go but than you're in 70k+ territory and I agree if BMW can do better seats for less Audi needs to step up their game. Like with anything it's a trade off and if it's important to you pony up the extra cash or go BMW. For me, the overall driving experience compared to BMW and Mercedes was better in the Audi and the seats was a huge minus but not as huge to jump ship.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Prestige seats do have the lumbar (4-way i guess?), but not adjustable side bolsters or thigh supports. Also no massage.

Quick Reply: Comfort Seats