Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Custom order: how long for build date info?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom order: how long for build date info?

I’ve been a member for a while (although this is my first post), but I finally decided to purchase a 2016 A6 Prestige. I placed a custom order with the dealer about 6 weeks ago. The sales guy told me that it would be 3-4 months for delivery. Right now the dealer doesn’t have any information regarding a scheduled build date. Is it normal to wait 6 weeks and not have any build/delivery date info? I noticed other members placed an order for a 2016, and it seemed like they got quick feedback from the dealer regarding build and delivery date.

I just want to make sure the sales guy isn’t jerking me around!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Order date info

I ordered my A3 Cab March 7, and got a build date email on April 11. Got another email on April 25, that it is built and on way from factory. Do not have a Ship Name/date or final delivery date yet.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

From what I would hear that means the dealer is waiting for allocation. I would ask him if he can see about changing a stock car he already has allocated to your specifications to improve the time frame. Otherwise you are probably in for a long wait.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by cbl1
From what I would hear that means the dealer is waiting for allocation. I would ask him if he can see about changing a stock car he already has allocated to your specifications to improve the time frame. Otherwise you are probably in for a long wait.
How do you know the dealer is waiting for an allocation? Many dealers overstate the delivery time to keep expectations lower. 10-14 weeks for an ordered car is typical.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Orders for A & S cars should take 12-14 weeks. You might be a week or two shorter if the dealer changes the build on a slot that is a day or two from entering production.

Orders which include Audi Exclusive paint or interior options double that.

If your dealer took an order and didn't have an open slot, or didn't automatically change an existing order to fit your build, then you need to find a new dealer.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

He said the dealer hasn't been able to give him a build date yet. That I would think he should have within 4-5 days if dealer has allocation.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think the dealer is jerking him around or just doesn't care. Unless this is some special order not just standard request.

Snagit7. Did you wit over 6 weeks to get a build date ? I waited 4 days.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skydive_bri
I’ve been a member for a while (although this is my first post), but I finally decided to purchase a 2016 A6 Prestige. I placed a custom order with the dealer about 6 weeks ago. The sales guy told me that it would be 3-4 months for delivery. Right now the dealer doesn’t have any information regarding a scheduled build date. Is it normal to wait 6 weeks and not have any build/delivery date info? I noticed other members placed an order for a 2016, and it seemed like they got quick feedback from the dealer regarding build and delivery date.

I just want to make sure the sales guy isn’t jerking me around!
I feel your pain... I was flying blind on my order as well.

My dealer signed me up for the Owner in Waiting program but I only got the first Audi email acknowledging my order but never received emails 2, 3 or 4. I ordered 1/23, received the 1st OIW email 2/9, car showed up on dealer site 3/21 and my dealer did tell me it supposedly it was released from port yesterday.

I'm not certain how long once a car is released that it will be loaded on a truck and get here but my entire process is going to be about 105 days. Originally I was told 90 days (4/17) but hear variations like 12 weeks or 3 months. Overall it seems most people are about 3.5 months from what I have seen here.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree, sounds like an allocation issue. You wait until they have an allocation for as long as that takes (or as long as it takes you to find a dealer that has one), can't get a build date without an allocation to actually order the car... Mind you, I'm a bit out of the loop with Audi at the moment, my last couple cars have been BMW's, but that's how it goes with them too. My last Audi was an '09 S5 that I waited 8 months for (was still limited supply, so took several months before they could get me an allocation). At that time, I think 2 months was still a more typical timeframe for most models. I'm strongly considering an A6 for my next, so good to know that is now up to more like 3 months.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by cbl1
I think the dealer is jerking him around or just doesn't care. Unless this is some special order not just standard request.

Snagit7. Did you wit over 6 weeks to get a build date ? I waited 4 days.
Mind you, this is back in May of 2012 just around the time the MY2013 A6's first started being built. On May 28, My dealer gave up his first dealer inventory unit and I was able to get the first build info within about 10 days; he updated me every two weeks thereafter. I was also able to track the ship it was on from Emden to Davisville, RI. My car was on the very first boat with 2013's and since my dealer is only 1 hour from the RI port, I was prob the very first in the U.S. to get a new 2013 A6 (on July 5). From order to delivery took 5.5 weeks but I was pretty lucky.

Quick Reply: Custom order: how long for build date info?