Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Damage from road debris

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Damage from road debris

Was driving home from work last night on the highway (right lane, driving under 65 mph), when something impacted the windshield (sounded like a snowball). A second or two later, what looked like a blue box bounced right in front of me and hit the front of the car on the driver's side. I immediately got an ACC/collision braking system error message (which went away and then came back intermittently). I pulled over at a rest stop a mile or so ahead (first safe spot to pull over) to take a look. No damage to the windshield. Here's a picture of the damage to the front end:

The clear cover of the LED headlight housing is cracked, the rectangular cover below the headlight was ripped away, and the facing/cover over the ACC sensor was ripped away as well and the sensor is hanging loose. Any guesstimates as to cost to repair? Is it worth a call to insurance, or should the next stop be the dealer? Just a lousy day all around yesterday.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
Was driving home from work last night on the highway (right lane, driving under 65 mph), when something impacted the windshield (sounded like a snowball). A second or two later, what looked like a blue box bounced right in front of me and hit the front of the car on the driver's side. I immediately got an ACC/collision braking system error message (which went away and then came back intermittently). I pulled over at a rest stop a mile or so ahead (first safe spot to pull over) to take a look. No damage to the windshield. Here's a picture of the damage to the front end:

The clear cover of the LED headlight housing is cracked, the rectangular cover below the headlight was ripped away, and the facing/cover over the ACC sensor was ripped away as well and the sensor is hanging loose. Any guesstimates as to cost to repair? Is it worth a call to insurance, or should the next stop be the dealer? Just a lousy day all around yesterday.
Sorry to hear but I am glad your OK.

I would call the insurance company. The price tag on the headlight along is over $2500 just for the part and no you can't replace just the clear cover. I asked when mine needed to be replaced. I'm not sure what the other parts cost but this gives you an idea that repairs are not inexpensive for these cars. I believe the rectangular cover below the headlight is to screw in one of the tow hooks in the toolkit with the spare tire. Not critical just for aesthetics.

Good luck and please let us know how you make out!

Last edited by DanfZX14; 12-06-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Call you insurance company. This is why you get comprehensive/collision coverage. You will still have to pay your deductible, unless your insurance company agrees to cover it completely. Remember that you are entitled to use any shop that you prefer.

The rectangular cover is for the headlight washer system, which I have never seen one of in the US. You can buy a replacement on eBay for about $10.

Plastic ABS Right Side Headlight Washer Cover Bumper Cap For 05-09 Audi A4 B7 | eBay

The one on the A4 is exactly the same.

You can also source the fog light facia from eBay. Not sure how much, but probably about $30-$40.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Bummer. In addition to a new LED assembly, if the ACC sensor is damaged, it will have to be replaced. At the very least, if it's ok, the ACC will need to be realigned which can cost upwards of $1,000. Definitely an insurance claim will be desirable. A no-fault comprehensive claim should not increase your premiums.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I just checked and if needed, the left ACC sensor assembly is over $1500. The left LED headlight assembly is over $2200 and the left ACC grill is about $70. Add the ACC alignment and you have as much as a $4800 repair parts plus labor. Let your insurance company foot the bill.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the responses. I did call the insurance company and initiated a claim. They're sending an adjuster out on Friday to appraise the damage. I'll check with the dealer and see which shop they recommend.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Default LE

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I just checked and if needed, the left ACC sensor assembly is over $1500. The left LED headlight assembly is over $2200 and the left ACC grill is about $70. Add the ACC alignment and you have as much as a $4800 repair parts plus labor. Let your insurance company foot the bill.
Jesus. That is a lot of money for one ACC sensor and one LED headlamp!! Guess I gotta be extra careful now.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dwboston
Thanks for the responses. I did call the insurance company and initiated a claim. They're sending an adjuster out on Friday to appraise the damage. I'll check with the dealer and see which shop they recommend.
Most dealers these days have their own repair centers. Sometimes under an umbrella of different owned auto brands.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to give you an idea...had a similar incident. One of those gates that closes lanes was laying in the middle of the road and I couldn't avoid it. My repairs (without ACC) were over 5k. Also I don't have LEDs and there could be even more damage that you can't see.

The bad news, although all only cosmetic, it's now on the history report. The good news is my bumper was all dinged up from road debris and now the car looks brand spanking new.

Last edited by r1racer; 12-06-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks - I'm expecting at least $5k and likely more. I'm only on the hook for $250 ultimately. I also talked to the dealer and got the name of the body shop they use, which is an Audi certified shop. Not looking forward to the hassle of getting it fixed, but I want to drive it for another 9 months or so before getting something else. It's annoying that I have only one payment left until it's paid off and this happens, but I'm glad the only damage was to the car and not me.