Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by scadagawd
I understand it is very difficult for Audi A4 to tuck the dash cam cable under the headliner. Do you need a special tool to "pry open" the headliner to slip the cable in?
I didn't have any problem with my A7. I removed the vanity mirror LED housing and pulled the excess cable into the headliner.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tenspeed, I'm not seeing what you mean removing the vanity mirror LED housing? Do you have a picture you can show me? I was planning on installing the dash cam behind the rearview mirror and run the wires from the middle of the headliner to the side, across the side pillar and follow inside the weatherstripping. When I put my hand on the headliner I find it really tight to squeeze in the cable unlike other cars, the A4 seem to have a very tight headliner and I wasn't sure what tool to use to push the wire up into it?
Old 11-29-2016, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by scadagawd
tenspeed, I'm not seeing what you mean removing the vanity mirror LED housing? Do you have a picture you can show me?
The C7's have a light above the visor that turns on when the mirror cover slides open. IDK if the A4's have vanity mirror lights.

You should be able to gently pry on the headliner where it meets the windshield and tuck the wire inside. It might help to loosen or remove the screws holding the visor in place.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default That's it. The wait is over

I almost had a head on collision this afternoon. 2 cars lining up to make a left turn at a light. I was going straight from the opposite direction. The first dumb driver decided to risk it and made the turn even I was at a close range (this behavior is very typical in NJ). Then the second dumber driver (who is behind the first) decided to take the chance and made the turn as well without even bother to check if there was any on coming car... whew.. I was going at 40mph (light still green) and hit the honk and brake while steering to the right to avoid the collision. I came to a complete stop at the junction and the black lady (the dumber) was looking at me if i was at fault. I was thinking if I hit her, the dashcam will avoid a lot of you say i say. I am ordering it now!

Last edited by fEArmE; 12-28-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Do it! I also got an add-on GPS module for mine: W-04 Car GPS Tracking Antenna Receiver Module-5.99 Online Shopping| GearBest.com , which records the location in the video file. It can then be viewed alongside a map and it will calculate your speed using this program: Registrator Viewer - Main
Old 12-28-2016, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a van merging into my lane without checking his blind spot. The right lane is completely clear so he doesn't even have a reason to merge. Unfortunately because of the dim lighting, his license plate was not visible.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Viofo AC119 ordered and shipped. Cant wait.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fEArmE
Viofo AC119 ordered and shipped. Cant wait.
Here is mine, just installed today on 2013 A6 Prestige, had to use a USB connector/converter I got on Amazon, the circled leads are always hot (yellow to red, black to brown), the red rectangle shows a ton of room for wires and the converter if needed:

And here it is all put back together.

For VIOFO and other Cams that might use USB for power, here is a link to Amazon for the USB converter, note the different choices (left, middle,right angle), micro and mini:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by JRomulus; 12-29-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We're surrounded by, well, you know. This is one pet peeve. There are many others. The worst is when you honk your horn loudly, and they just keep coming.

Originally Posted by newmoon
Here is a van merging into my lane without checking his blind spot. The right lane is completely clear so he doesn't even have a reason to merge. Unfortunately because of the dim lighting, his license plate was not visible.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JRomulus
Here is mine, just installed today, had to use a USB connector/converter I got on Amazon, the circled leads are always hot (yellow to red, black to brown), the red rectangle shows a ton of room for wires and the converter if needed:
Beautiful setup. But mine looks different. I do not have the module behind the rear view mirror.

Quick Reply: Dash Cam