Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

DIY Brake Pads and Rotors 3.0T

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by das2.7t
I went with the EBC Red Stuff pads (and the same EBC Sport Rotors you installed) and have been very pleased with the performance. Dust and squealing is gone and the Red Stuff pads definitely have more bite. Under very hard braking, you can feel the slots just a very little bit but that is expected. Also, with your windows down, you'll hear the dimples/slots a little at the pads trail over the surface of the rotors.

It's been a great +1 upgrade for less than OEM replacements. The techs at my local dealership love them too and say it's the setup they (privately) recommend if a car is off warranty and the owner is going to do their own work.

das2.7t... With your EBC Red Stuff does it come with brake sensors? I am about to order these brake parts but can't seem to find brake sensors.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Highly recommend Prospect Auto in Bronx. Got my pads replaced and rotors reconditioned for $200. I brought my own pads and Gino installed.

Turns out my brake pad sensor was on its last leg (he showed me the strain), I was worried that I would have to come back for it, but they get multiple shipments a day from their warehouse, so got taken care of same day. Took 2h total for the job.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by r1racer
Honestly, I feel no difference between stock rotors and the EBCs. I bought them primarily for the looks. The cost is similar if not cheaper than the discounted OEM prices from places like genuineaudiparts.com. I think the pad selection plays a bigger role in feel and performance than rotors (under normal driving conditions anyway).

I went with Akebono pads...they are great on any rotor IMO. They do not feel as responsive as OEM pads but the difference is insignificant and the dust and squealing issues with OEM pads are virtually non-existent.

Invoice below...you can probably get them even cheaper if you catch them on sale or find a promo code. Again, the only catch is that you may or may not be waiting a while for the rotors so order a couple months in advance if you go through placeforbrakes.com.
Hello r1racer!
How are EBC sports rotors and Akebono pads working out?
I am thinking about the same set-up because of brake dusts and deep ridge on rotors.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylan Lin
das2.7t... With your EBC Red Stuff does it come with brake sensors? I am about to order these brake parts but can't seem to find brake sensors.
Good catch. They did not come with the sensors so I had to run out to the dealer to get two. Whoever you order the rotors and pads from will have the sensors but I just forgot to ask.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by audi bug
Hello r1racer!
How are EBC sports rotors and Akebono pads working out?
I am thinking about the same set-up because of brake dusts and deep ridge on rotors.
So far so good. Now that they are fully broken in I can honestly say I feel absolutely no difference in stopping power & feel compared to OEM.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where's the best place to buy Zimmermann rotors? Seems they are hard to find online.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
Where's the best place to buy Zimmermann rotors? Seems they are hard to find online.
I got mine from https://www.europaparts.com/ and picked them up in person but you can also have them shipped. They run a good legit operation.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I got mine from https://www.europaparts.com/ and picked them up in person but you can also have them shipped. They run a good legit operation.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm surprised by the lack of places that sell the Zimmermann rotors for the A6 C7. Seems like ECS Tuning has the best price. Wanted the Akebono/Zimmermann set-up. Amazon has a screaming good price on the Akebono ($78 & $47) but they don't carry the Zimmermann rotors. A PlaceforBrakes.com sells the EBC Stage 4 Signature Kit for $475 which includes the RedStuff pads and Ultimax Slotted rotors. I think I'm going with that option. I'm assuming wear sensors are included with the pads?? Anyone know?
Old 12-17-2016, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm surprised by the lack of places that sell the Zimmermann rotors for the A6 C7. Seems like ECS Tuning has the best price. Wanted the Akebono/Zimmermann set-up. Amazon has a screaming good price on the Akebono ($78 & $47) but they don't carry the Zimmermann rotors. A PlaceforBrakes.com sells the EBC Stage 4 Signature Kit for $475 which includes the RedStuff pads and Ultimax Slotted rotors. I think I'm going with that option. I'm assuming wear sensors are included with the pads?? Anyone know?
I also have the Akebono/Zimmermann setup (great option, btw), and the wear sensors were included with the pads that I bought. That's a very good price for those pads.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Power Stop Evolution Rotors

Does anyone have any experience with "Power Stop" Evolution rotors. I think they package them with pads under the "Z23" nomenclature. Searching the Forum for "Power Stop" doesn't bring up anything. Seems like the reviews off the forum are decent and "AutoAnything" has them for 20% off.

Quick Reply: DIY Brake Pads and Rotors 3.0T