Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Emissions Recall Notice - ECM Software

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
Had the emissions recall done this week and fell in love with this honey on the showroom floor. Too bad she costs as much as the loan I took out to purchase my home......

Always dangerous to go to dealer for service. Time before my most recent service they put me an a nearly new A8L -- wife and son loved that and they wanted an upgrade from the A6. Took a while for that song to stop. Last time I wound up in a /16 A6 TDI and but for the diesel fiasco I really want one of those now. There is method to the loaner car madness with some of the dealers. As for the R8 it is just a more modern iteration of my /94 NSX so I content myself with the NSX (sort of) -- LOL.

Back on topic. I got the emission recall notice and at my most recent service I elected not to do it. The SA had no issue with this and said not mandatory. I'll do it next service as long as no one on this board indicates that it has caused them any trouble or any deterioration in vehicle's performance.

Best,
Jeff
Old 10-25-2016, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Davor_
Can you clarify on the "passenger seat sensor" part please!
There was a recall for select C7s re the passenger seat air bag sensor where it might not deploy with a passenger present. There was a letter sent to those affected in August I believe. It involved removing the seat, the seat cover and repairing/replacing the sensor pad.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I run a VCDS diagnostic once a month, and in August the Catalytic Converter warning came up. So I took it to the dealer and said fix this please, I think the emissions warranty is 80K.
They fixed it by reflashing the software and said it was a software issue and charged me $350. I can't remember what the reason they gave me for why it wasn't covered by the warranty... but I bought the rationale at the time.

Anyway, a few weeks later this recall notice came out so I sent it back with my receipt from the dealer repair for reimbursement. 60 days is right before Thanksgiving so I'll advise if I have any issues getting paid.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

DO NOT GET THIS ECM UPDATE!!

I spoke with several Audi dealers and mechanics and they said this will affect your vehicles power and performance negatively. This is to conform to US emission regulations and is a way for them to do it without calling attention to themselves. I own a 2016 SQ5 and was told not to do this update by an Audi dealership. I have also had a 2016 and 2015 Q5 3.0T with no MIL light issues. The dealership said it does not require me to update since it is not a safety or government recall.

If you have had this done already then I would contact Audi NA and ask them why they were not up front with stating that this recall will negatively affect the performance of the vehicle.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jnigro7
DO NOT GET THIS ECM UPDATE!!

I spoke with several Audi dealers and mechanics and they said this will affect your vehicles power and performance negatively.
Thanks for the heads up - I won't get it unless my MIL starts lighting up due to the tight cat converter thresholds.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I've been running on this update for a week and so far I can't say that I've seen any negative impact. I'm not disputing the information that has been presented, but if I had to say "something" I would say the impact may not noticeable unless you drive at 8/10 - 10/10 consistently.

Car feels the same power wise and I'm seeing the same mileage I'm accustomed to. The only thing that has been different is that the damn MIL light has remained off since the flash. For the last few months the best I could do was clear it and hope to get in 2 days before it would come back on.

Hopefully mine isn't a fluke and that the impact of this flash is only noticeable on a dyno chart.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Same here. Had the update done and my butt dyno does not feel the difference. Kinda bummed I did have it done if it does in fact impact performance though.........
Old 11-02-2016, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is it possible the update is just to adjust the sensitivity of the MIL sensor and does not affect the emissions or performance?
Old 11-02-2016, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Is it possible the update is just to adjust the sensitivity of the MIL sensor and does not affect the emissions or performance?
That was my original impression.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It would seem that with the dieselgate scandal, Audi would not escape a mountain of negative news coverage on an understated emissions issue from the gas powered 3.0T. There would be a piling on by the EPA and the media adding to the already huge VAG mess. But there are only birds chirping to be heard on this. It would appear to confirm that there is no emissions issue here, only an oversensitive monitoring sensor that a software adjustment will resolve.

Quick Reply: Emissions Recall Notice - ECM Software