Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Excessive Road Noise? I'm thinking it's the Pirelli's...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dht34
Can that analogy be applied to wives as well? jk....
Oh yeah but more like first year not the first half life. lol
Old 09-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seattle is not known for it's quality roads. The PZeros are extremely loud on the road and even harmonize and hum VERY loudly. It is extremely annoying and I can't wait to get off of them. They really do perform the best, though.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dht34
Can that analogy be applied to wives as well? jk....

Hmmm. Perhaps....
Old 09-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Xtek
Seattle is not known for it's quality roads. The PZeros are extremely loud on the road and even harmonize and hum VERY loudly. It is extremely annoying and I can't wait to get off of them. They really do perform the best, though.
Having lived in Seattle quite a few years, most of the roads there are far superior to the **** roads here in Tucson. I honestly cannot wait to move elsewhere, hopefully sooner than later!
Old 09-17-2013, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
The Michelin just came out with some all season pilot super sport tires. They haven't been thoroughly tried but because of how well the summer tires are it is something to consider.
I ran them on my A5 and plan to put them on my A6 in about 1000 miles. They are great tires, very quiet, and hold the road handling well in all conditions..
Old 09-17-2013, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
The Michelin just came out with some all season pilot super sport tires. They haven't been thoroughly tried but because of how well the summer tires are it is something to consider.
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 came out about 4-5 months ago. Tirerack did a review and they beat out the beloved Continental DWS. I just put them on my A6 and initial feedback is great tire, responsive, quiet, and even with 42psi a very comfortable ride. Looking forward to many miles of use.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the input! My top two choices for the 19" sizing were the RE970 and the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2. The Hankook are $50 cheaper per tire and have great reviews on Tirerack. But in the end I was able to get the RE970 for cheaper (installed) through Discount Tire than what the Hankook would have cost from Tirerack, plus install. I placed the order this morning and should have them installed next week. Hope the RE970 are as good as everyone is saying! The main thing I want is a quiet tire as the noise and ride quality of the OEM Pirelli is terrible, especially as the miles racked up (now at 18k).
Old 09-26-2013, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PunjabiM3
Thanks for posting. I may eventually pick up a used RS6, RS7, or M6 Gran Coupe a few years down the road. For now the A6 does great with its combo of power and 30+ MPG on the highway. I'm sure a chipped S6 would be a tough challenge in a straight line in my R8 especially given I am average MT6 driver. But the sound of that V10 cannot be beat, nor can the handling.
We have C7 RS6 stateside?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got the RE970AS installed yesterday evening and so far am pretty happy with the reduced noise and better ride quality than the OEM P-Zero. There is still some tire noise but probably around 75% better than the OEM tires. No more of that annoying growling noise on deceleration that was present with the P-Zero. Ride quality much improved over small bumps and rough pavement, though on moderate bumps still a bit firmer than I was hoping. I attribute this to the **** roads here in Tucson. As long as these tires hold up with not a major increase in road noise over 30k miles I will be a happy man. For what it's worth, we will be taking delivery of my father's 2014 528i this week so I will be able to make a good comparison on road noise compared to the 5-series.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by PunjabiM3
Got the RE970AS installed yesterday evening and so far am pretty happy with the reduced noise and better ride quality than the OEM P-Zero. There is still some tire noise but probably around 75% better than the OEM tires. No more of that annoying growling noise on deceleration that was present with the P-Zero. Ride quality much improved over small bumps and rough pavement, though on moderate bumps still a bit firmer than I was hoping. I attribute this to the **** roads here in Tucson. As long as these tires hold up with not a major increase in road noise over 30k miles I will be a happy man. For what it's worth, we will be taking delivery of my father's 2014 528i this week so I will be able to make a good comparison on road noise compared to the 5-series.
I noticed the noise level gradually went down on the RE970s after a few hundred miles as the tire tread wore in in. As for firmness, most UHP tires will have a firmer ride than touring tires due to their designed performance characteristics. One exception I owned, the Conti DWS, had a gentler ride at the expense of somewhat less responsiveness and cornering ability due to their softer sidewall. Unfortunately, there's no one tire that's the best at everything. Even the excellent new Michelin PS 3 A/S, reviews have indicated a firmer ride than some others and faster tread wear when hard cornering. You just have to find the best overall performer based on your priorities.

Quick Reply: Excessive Road Noise? I'm thinking it's the Pirelli's...