Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Excessive Road Noise? I'm thinking it's the Pirelli's...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I noticed the noise level gradually went down on the RE970s after a few hundred miles as the tire tread wore in in. As for firmness, most UHP tires will have a firmer ride than touring tires due to their designed performance characteristics. One exception I owned, the Conti DWS, had a gentler ride at the expense of somewhat less responsiveness and cornering ability due to their softer sidewall. Unfortunately, there's no one tire that's the best at everything. Even the excellent new Michelin PS 3 A/S, reviews have indicated a firmer ride than some others and faster tread wear when hard cornering. You just have to find the best overall performer based on your priorities.
At the end it came down between those very two tires (970AS and PS3 A/S). It seems the Michelin have higher grip and limits, but the review I read on Tirerack seemed to indicate the Michelin have more noise and a bit harsher ride than the 970AS. For this reason, and the fact I got them for under $950 installed minus the Bridgestone rebate and it was a deal that I could not pass up.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

That was a very decent price for the 19". Did it include balancing as well as mounting? Where did you buy them?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
That was a very decent price for the 19". Did it include balancing as well as mounting? Where did you buy them?
Yes it included mounting and balancing, rotations and balancing for life of the tire, prorated road hazard, and all taxes. It was from one of the big tire chains, which I shall not name. But basically I was wanting to get the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2, which they for some reason are not able to get, so they kindly reduced the price on the RE970 to be competitive.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2012 A6 3.0 with Pirelli's. I too have experienced awful road noise; really annoying and embarrassing if you have a friend in the car. thanks to this forum I'll stay away from the Pirellis on my upcoming tire purchase.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the Pirelli Pzero too on the 2014 Audi A6TDI with 20 inch rims. We bought the car with 5,000 miles on it and I am feeling high frequency buzzing vibration in the cabin and I am sure its these crappy tires. Does anyone feel the same way? Eitherway I am replacing them with decent Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 in a few weeks.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

I swapped my Pirellis today for the Michelin Pilot AS3's and although not cheap at $1200.00 (20" wheels) what a difference in noise and overall ride. Seems more like a true luxury car now but with really geat handling. The handling is not as crisp as the Pirellis's, but all of the bad attributes of those tires are gone now.

Last edited by atlanta A6; 10-04-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atlanta A6
I swapped my Pirellis today for the Michelin Pilot AS3's and although not cheap at $1200.00 (20" wheels) what a difference in noise and overall ride. Seems more like a true luxury car now but with really geat handling. The handling is not as crisp as the Pirellis's, but all of the bad attributes of those tires are gone now.
I did the same swap and are very pleased with the AS3s. Also check your manual for tire pressure. The pressure listed on the door jamb is for max load and recommended pressure is much lower (and more comfortable) for partial load.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I checked for the 20 inch rims on my A6 was 39 front 37 rear. Thats a bit too high and I keep it 36 front 34 rear. I cannot wait to get the Pilot Sport A/S3 on the car next weekend!
Old 10-06-2014, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone used the continental dW tire? It also has excellent reviews on tire rack. I wanted to rotate the p6's out in the summer for these on 20" wheels.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Waaazooo
Has anyone used the continental dW tire? It also has excellent reviews on tire rack. I wanted to rotate the p6's out in the summer for these on 20" wheels.
I just installed a set on our 2011 TT. Car previously had the Michelin PSS which I liked a lot, but they simply wore out before the 30k mileage warranty - good news is the installed gave me a $120 credit toward a new set of tires for this reason!

The Conti DWs are very quiet and very smooth for a low profile summer tire. Def quieter than the PSS, which are quiet in their own right. You can tell the difference in the sidewall stiffness, while the PSS had instant reaction to steering inputs aka near go kart feel, there is some deflection on the DW, but nothing that ruins the feel of the car. Benefit of this is the smoother riding nature of the tire.

So far only a few hundred miles on the DWs but when my OEM P Zeros wear on the A6 (or I get tired of the noise) I think I will go this route on the replacement. I am usually a michelin guy, and the PSS, while simply amazing tires, are a bit overkill for a daily driver and I am hearing too many reviews point out the tread noise on the AS 3.

Plus you really cant beat the price on the DW too. Every tire I have ever owned gets loud towards the end of its life, so I think I would rather buy the cheaper DW's and change them out more often, will result in a happier ride for me.

A note about the reviews on tire rack too, you really can't put too much faith in them, especially when I see reviews for Max performance tires on Honda Accords. Not to knock the Accord, its a great car in its own right, but makes you wonder if the reviewer would even know the diff between a good tire and a bad tire. I see some people rate a Max Performance tire low because it only lasted 20-25k miles!

Last edited by MCRN; 10-07-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Excessive Road Noise? I'm thinking it's the Pirelli's...