Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Factory Amp Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for doing all the work and sharing with us.....I have gone to three local car stereo places and they all shake their heads telling me an amp upgrade cant be done
Old 05-06-2013, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bakman
Thanks for doing all the work and sharing with us.....I have gone to three local car stereo places and they all shake their heads telling me an amp upgrade cant be done
Do you have Bose?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Do you have Bose?
Hi, mine is the non Bose premium plus
Old 05-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bakman
No problem. The real breakthrough will be when I get all the wires from the factory amp mapped to each speaker. Remaining work is just mechanical after that. Scirocco has the wiring diagram and may be sending it to me. It definitely is doable
Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by aj0408
Hi, mine is the non Bose premium plus
Then you have been talking to the wrong stereo shops. They don't know what they are talking about. I would keep your car far, far away from shops like those.

You need to find a true, high-end stereo and customs shop.

Here in Orlando we have one of the best custom auto shops in the country, Ultimate Auto. You need to find a place like that, or just bring your car down here to Florida and use them. At any given moment they have about 20-40 exotic cars in their install bay. They know what they are doing and won't be phased in the slightest when dealing with an Audi. They get Audis all the time, plus many more fancy cars costing a lot more than any Audi.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did anyone ever get the wires mapped out to know which wires are for which speakers?
Old 08-19-2013, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

funny thing is that my 2013 non-bose didn't have the amp in the trunk. The wires terminate behind the radio, but found that there are connectors in the A and B pillars that i could tap into. going with Image Dynamics IDQ10 speaker which has 10mm more excursion which is about 10 more than the DLS's. Also, went with Alpine amp.

I have all the color codes after downloading all the service guides for the A6.

If anyone needs this info, please let me know.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It will be great to have the service guides, would you please pass them over email (bestjose@gmail.com).

I couldnt find the amp anywhere, not in the cubby side of the driver. Does anyone knows where it can be? I bought an amp just for the subwoofer and havent been able to install it.

Thank you
Old 08-26-2013, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There is no amp. All wires run back to the information management unit. It makes the install much more grueling if you want to do all speakers. Adding an amp to the sub is easy, but if you want all the other speakers, expect to pull off every door sill and A and B pillar interior plastic trim to get access to everything you need. I end up running 150 ft of my own speaker wire back to the aftermarket amp. Also, most aftermarket sub's, i.e. the DLS OA10D included are larger than the mounting hole for the stock subwoofer. Most JL audio 10's will fit, but most other things don't. I had to dremel about a 1/2 inch out of the stock hold to make the Imagge Dynamics 10" fit. Anything with more than a 9 1/8" mounting diameter will not fit. You can decide to just drop it in as much at it'll go and screw it in with the gap, but i wanted flush fit. It was my first time with dremel, which was fun. Chewed through a bunch of bits but finally got it. I am still hooking it all up so don't know if i need dynamat yet. I will email you the wire guides. If you need anything else, let me know.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update: definitely needed a LOC like the lc6i. Getting a ton of noise from the speaker level inputs. Found out that the non-bose speakers only use the positive wire when delivering signal. The negative is just a dumb cable or used for ground. When using the speaker level inputs, i only needed to attach the positive cable to the positive terminal on speaker level inputs. Even with that said, their is a lot of noise. The noise was so bad it burnt my rear tweeters up. Looking to replace with Polk Audio tweets that are less than replacing with factory units. Be wary. Ordered an LC6i; should be delivered this week as with the new rear tweeters.

Quick Reply: Factory Amp Upgrade