Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

First time Audi owner - New 2016 Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time Audi owner - New 2016 Prestige

Hey guys!

I just signed up as I picked up a new 2016 A6 Prestige with the S-line, Black Optic, and Driver Assist packages this weekend.

I'm sure I'll be on here a lot!

A couple quick questions:

1. Is there some logic to the 'open trunk with your foot under the bumper' thing? It seemingly only works after I open and close the trunk manually. I'm not sure what the difference between the 'close trunk' and 'lock' buttons are either? Do I need to actually unlock the car first with the fob before I can use the 'foot opener' thing? (Seems like that defeats the purpose, because if I was carrying a bunch of stuff, I can't be fishing for the fob)

2. I am not a fan of the start/stop thing always being on when I start the car. I read a lot about VAGCOM... does it void your warranty? I'm not afraid of a little tinkering (I am a SW Engineer) but I'd rather not lose the warranty, obviously.
Attached Images     
Old 05-11-2015, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a handy button on the center dash for with a big 'A' with Circle around it that you can very easily press to turn off the start/stop...it will become second nature in no time and you'll hardly notice it, and thus avoid any potential warranty or screw up issues in mucking with the software ... perhaps try that route for now and see if that works for you?

Very nice car by the way ... mine just left ZeeBrugge on the Grand Neptune with one more stop at South Hampton port on UK southern coast to drop off some Audis and VWs for the UK market before the long trek to San Diego port... Should get mine around June 10 in Scottsdale... Florett Silver metallic over nougat brown- Prestige, Sports, 20" wheels, Drivers assist, NV ...

Keep us posted on your honeymoon.

Cheers!
Old 05-11-2015, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

There are couple of long threads re the trunk opening thing so I won't start another here but suffice it to say, the foot opening under bumper thing is intermittent at best.

As to the Start/Stop feature, apparently with MY2016, Audi decided to enable it with each restart unlike other years where the previous button setting would be remembered. Apparently, it can be changed in Vag-Com (do a search for the code setting).

Using the Ross-Tech VCDS Vag-Com cable and software will not void your warranty with one caveat; if you start mucking around in there and cause something irreversible to break, the warranty will not cover any resulting repairs or recoding. Stick to the previously documented mods found all over the AW Forums, run a log before any changes and you'll have no issues. Vag-Com newbies and those of us with faint hearts should leave the experimenting and ground breaking to the VCDS experts.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies!

I guess I am glad to know I am not just insane with the rear trunk thing.

I did know about the dash switch but of course I sometimes forget to press it. It's already surprised me a few times.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
Hey guys!

I just signed up as I picked up a new 2016 A6 Prestige with the S-line, Black Optic, and Driver Assist packages this weekend.

I'm sure I'll be on here a lot!

A couple quick questions:

1. Is there some logic to the 'open trunk with your foot under the bumper' thing? It seemingly only works after I open and close the trunk manually. I'm not sure what the difference between the 'close trunk' and 'lock' buttons are either? Do I need to actually unlock the car first with the fob before I can use the 'foot opener' thing? (Seems like that defeats the purpose, because if I was carrying a bunch of stuff, I can't be fishing for the fob)

2. I am not a fan of the start/stop thing always being on when I start the car. I read a lot about VAGCOM... does it void your warranty? I'm not afraid of a little tinkering (I am a SW Engineer) but I'd rather not lose the warranty, obviously.
Excellent car my friend! Would you mind posting some more pics? I ask because I ordered practically the same car (except mine has the 19" wheels) and I have till December to get it. I need some more pics for my wallpaper! Thanks!
Old 07-25-2015, 01:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
There are couple of long threads re the trunk opening thing so I won't start another here but suffice it to say, the foot opening under bumper thing is intermittent at best.

As to the Start/Stop feature, apparently with MY2016, Audi decided to enable it with each restart unlike other years where the previous button setting would be remembered. Apparently, it can be changed in Vag-Com (do a search for the code setting).

Using the Ross-Tech VCDS Vag-Com cable and software will not void your warranty with one caveat; if you start mucking around in there and cause something irreversible to break, the warranty will not cover any resulting repairs or recoding. Stick to the previously documented mods found all over the AW Forums, run a log before any changes and you'll have no issues. Vag-Com newbies and those of us with faint hearts should leave the experimenting and ground breaking to the VCDS experts.
Wow, that's very disappointing to hear. Glad to hear there's a way to get around this, but it looks like it costs an extra $400 (I don't have a PC).

Remembering previous settings so I don't have to press extra buttons every time I start the car is exactly the kind of feature I look for in a good car. What on earth could be the motivation for this design change?
Old 07-25-2015, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyRider
Remembering previous settings so I don't have to press extra buttons every time I start the car is exactly the kind of feature I look for in a good car. What on earth could be the motivation for this design change?
Probably a simple answer: Stated EPA fuel economy. Audi probably is able to squeak out another stated 1 MPG average on the label if the Stop/Start is always on. If it could be disabled by default, they couldn't include the benefit.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've mastered the foot-open-trunk feature by simply pretending there's a football right below the bumper and doing a slow motion punt. It will take about 1-2 seconds, but the trunk will open up.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by McFuzz
I've mastered the foot-open-trunk feature by simply pretending there's a football right below the bumper and doing a slow motion punt. It will take about 1-2 seconds, but the trunk will open up.
But they haven't made two the same yet, there are many variations of useless.

As for the start stop, I would say try it. In the quest of the authorities endevour to waste gas by sitting needlessly at traffic signals, I find it quite useful. There are, however, numerous instances where you need to turn it off. My driving situation is leave it on unless situations dictate otherwise. I prefer default to on but I understand the opposite may be preferred by others. A choice of default mode is the best option, VAG COM is your friend and it will pay for itself if you buy one now.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The funny thing is, so far I have not found the start stop so obtrusive as to even remember to turn it off, when I was sure the first thing I would do after start up would be to push the button and disable it for each ride.

I was told that Audi has gradually refined the action of start/stop including a noticeable improvement in this new refreshed car, whether that difference is that noticeable or not from prior year models I can't say , but the very subtle action of turning back on when it does go off has not been anything close to the annoyance I figured it would be.

Plus, I have been very pleasantly surprised at the seamless action of the Adaptive cruise control which is another function that reportedly the local Audi service guys have said has steadily improved since it's more rocky inception.

I drove home from Phoenix to Sedona last week and literally did not touch either the gas or brake pedal from just outside PHX to the I-17 to Hwy 260 turnoff about an hour and twenty minutes later inspite of a solid amount of high speed traffic.

Even when a mustang zoomed right in front of me when my ACC was cruising at 85mph, the car instantly slowed quickly as fast as I could have responded and then smoothly accelerated back to speed as soon as the Mustang went off the highway. Was a very relaxing drive indeed, and will come in handy for those longer drives too at times I might prefer to chill instead of so actively navigate traffic.

Hulamau

Last edited by Hulamau; 07-31-2015 at 03:55 AM.

Quick Reply: First time Audi owner - New 2016 Prestige