Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

FM Radio Interference - Hardwired ALP/Valentine One

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,182 Likes on 923 Posts
Default FM Radio Interference - Hardwired ALP/Valentine One

I recently installed a ALP Quad system in my '16 A6 along with a Valentine One.
It's hardwired using a fusetap in the drivers side fuse box.

So... I am getting terrible FM reception when they are powered up, if you unplug the fuse tap, radio is crystal clear. It even prevents me from seeing regular stations on the channel list. Interference seems to be very prominent around 100-104 channels (in Boston and favorite station is AMP 103.3).

I have installed a 12v noise filter (for aftermarket head units) inline with the equipment; it has gotten better but is not completely fixed. I have tried different open fuse spots in the box, no more luck. I have no idea if I am sending dirty noise back into the fuse block, the powered FM antenna wire is under the dash where all the cords are, or what.... but it's driving me insane.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-2016, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Any thoughts... at all?
Old 08-10-2016, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I would guess there are very few here that have installed the ALP Quad system. You might want to contact the manufacturer for guidance.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just guessing but have you tried tapping a different fuse?

Longtime V1 user here who always used a fuse tap in the past, who just bought a brand new unit with the Savvy attachment option that plugs right into the OBD port, and that powers everything, avoiding the need for a fuse tap altogether. Might want to look into that and the BOB unit which gets around the engine shutdown issue.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bustter
Just guessing but have you tried tapping a different fuse?

Longtime V1 user here who always used a fuse tap in the past, who just bought a brand new unit with the Savvy attachment option that plugs right into the OBD port, and that powers everything, avoiding the need for a fuse tap altogether. Might want to look into that and the BOB unit which gets around the engine shutdown issue.
The noise filter I have installed inline (before anything else) is essentially a BOB. I also have a digital voltage regulator (capacitors and the like are inside) stepping things up to ~15V so nothing has any shortage of power. I am certain it's not a power supply issue.
Below are the things I have installed already:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have tried multiple fuse locations w/ no luck. All the ones I have tried are empty.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
The noise filter I have installed inline (before anything else) is essentially a BOB. I also have a digital voltage regulator (capacitors and the like are inside) stepping things up to ~15V so nothing has any shortage of power. I am certain it's not a power supply issue.
Below are the things I have installed already:

I have tried multiple fuse locations w/ no luck. All the ones I have tried are empty.
I'm curious if you have contacted the manufacturer as SnagIt suggested and if so what their response was? They should at least be able to provide some insight as to the cause and possibly a solution....
Old 08-15-2016, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
I'm curious if you have contacted the manufacturer as SnagIt suggested and if so what their response was? They should at least be able to provide some insight as to the cause and possibly a solution....
I can give Valentine and ALP a call, let me see if I can get them on the phone soon.

I would use the SAVVY, except it doesn't do me any good for powering the ALP, I need power for that still. If I shut both off, the radio gets marginally better, but the only thing that really corrects it is unplugging the fuse tap.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just called ALP, they have never heard of something like this in the 2500+ installs the guy on the phone has done. He is thinking dirty power from the fusebox. Maybe run a power wire straight from the battery up to the equipment and see if the noise is eliminated. Or he said buy a cheap cigarette adapter and chop the leads up and see about that.

He repeated many times, "it makes absolutely no sense"...

Last edited by mhoran89; 08-15-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm thinking interference from the FM antenna where I have the power wire routed up by the a-pillar and headliner. FM radio comes in loud and clear when I unplug the Valentine V-1. Does anyone know if the radio antenna is routed in/near the front windshield?
Old 08-25-2016, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds like the V-1 is the culprit. Maybe try rerouting its wiring?

Quick Reply: FM Radio Interference - Hardwired ALP/Valentine One