Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Fuel Door doesn't always open when pressed

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Door doesn't always open when pressed

So I went to the dealer and was told all doors need to be unlocked for the fuel-door to release. I tried that, stopped the engine, pressed the unlock button and fuel-door still would not release. 3-4 times now I've had to use the manual release. I can't figure out if I have a problem or if I'm doing something wrong?
Old 11-02-2014, 02:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine had that happened and the service adviser stated a known issue and they replaced the parts under warranty with no hassle.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is there an interior button to release the fuel door? I always just manually press the door to open.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

What do you mean by the "unlock button"?
Old 11-03-2014, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

This did happen to me once with my 2012 A6. I was pressing on the fuel door to have it unlock and open and it took several presses before it finally released. I had been away for a week so the A6 was not being used which meant I went probably 2 -3 weeks between fill-ups. It was also a little cold that day so I'm wondering if some ice or dirt kept the latch from being able to rotate enough to unlock the fuel door.

It looks like the latch spins when you press it so that the plastic **** on the end of the latch rotates and aligns with the receiver on the fuel door.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by joebird
Exactly....I thought the only way to open it was to go outside and press in on the fuel door til it popped open.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:01 AM
wuk
AudiWorld Member

by unlock they mean make sure doors are unlocked. fuel door won't open if doors are locked.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't know if it is the same as on the A4, but the A4 doesn't have a release button inside the car, you just push the fuel filler flap to open it.
Recently mine wouldn't open and it was the electrical locking switch that was at fault.
To open the fuel filler and replace the switch you have to go into the side storage pod behind the filler in the boot and pull it down, and behind it is a red plastic cord that releases the switch manually, sometimes the locking switch faults and locks in the open position, sometimes they fault and lock closed as mine did.
The fault shows up in a vehicle scan on the A4, I replaced the switch and all was good.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by joebird
I mean the "Unlock button" for the front and rear passenger doors. I should not have to do that, but I was just trying anything I could think of. Before this issue started, I just pulled up to the gas pump, stopped the engine, got out and pressed the fuel-filler door and it opened. Now, no matter what I do now, I can't get it to release, so I have to get inside the trunk and release it manually.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
I mean the "Unlock button" for the front and rear passenger doors. I should not have to do that, but I was just trying anything I could think of. Before this issue started, I just pulled up to the gas pump, stopped the engine, got out and pressed the fuel-filler door and it opened. Now, no matter what I do now, I can't get it to release, so I have to get inside the trunk and release it manually.
Ah ok. That definitely shouldn't be the case. I just do simply as you said, pull up to the pump, turn off engine, get out and press the fuel door and it opens. Now, it doesn't always pop open the first time.....or 2nd or 3rd sometimes. It does open eventually if i continue to press it though.

Quick Reply: Fuel Door doesn't always open when pressed