Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Fuel Door doesn't always open when pressed

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24562825

Look at this thread above. Scroll down to my response! Fixed it myself for under 50! I was out of warranty when I had this issue!
Old 11-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jatmobil
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24562825

Look at this thread above. Scroll down to my response! Fixed it myself for under 50! I was out of warranty when I had this issue!
Here's another link that I used when replacing mine, was very useful and its also worth noting that I only had to buy the actuator too, the cap and housing can be removed and re used if you are careful.

VW AUDI Forum - VWAF
Old 12-31-2014, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same problem. Took some oil and lubricated the latch mechanism. Solved the problem for me.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is there a secondary, emergency release for the fuel door? My 2005 A6 had a small, pull cable in the release to pop the fuel door open when the main cable would not release it.

If not, when the fuel door is stuck and will not open after many presses, how do you open it?

Not a hypothetical question. I pulled up to the gas station today and after 5 minutes gave up. The fuel door would not open. Luckily, today was a case of topping off before the weekend and I still have about 1/2 tank left. But with cold weather in the forecast, I don't like to get below 1/4 tank so need to open the door very soon.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

If you check your manual, you would find there is an emergency fuel door release in the trunk.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I have the same issue on my 2012! Also emergency release wire just pulls forward and the fuel door still won't open. I just got the car so I'll take it back to the dealer to see if they fix it.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm digressing from the original post, but I have to say I feel a little weird every time I push on the painted surface like this. I do my best not to touch the outside of my car with a bare hand, just as I always prefer to use interior trunk handles to pull closed trunks. Smudges, oils, etc. I wish they went back to the electronic fuel door for that reason. Sure, you still have to touch it to close the door, but it doesn't require much.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
I'm digressing from the original post, but I have to say I feel a little weird every time I push on the painted surface like this. I do my best not to touch the outside of my car with a bare hand, just as I always prefer to use interior trunk handles to pull closed trunks. Smudges, oils, etc. I wish they went back to the electronic fuel door for that reason. Sure, you still have to touch it to close the door, but it doesn't require much.
As you drive, your car gets coated in much more than a little skin oil. There's junk such as dirt, rocks, bugs, acid rain, UV rays, grit, tar, road oil, etc., not to mention the micro sand blasting over time from other vehicles.

If you really want to protect the finish, including your bit of finger oil, if you haven't already done so (I don't see them in your sig), consider a full front Xpel Ultimate film and a paint protection application like Opti-Coat Pro/Plus or CQuartz. Worrying about all that damaging stuff becomes a thing of the past. You don't even need to wax the car after paint protection is applied. Best investment "mods" I've ever made to a car.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, pretty darn nice but also pretty pricey. I need to look into it. I have to think they could do something like this from the factory at lesser cost and still make good money on it for people who order the cars.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

If you really want to protect the finish, including your bit of finger oil, if you haven't already done so (I don't see them in your sig), consider a full front Xpel Ultimate film and a paint protection application like Opti-Coat Pro/Plus or CQuartz. Worrying about all that damaging stuff becomes a thing of the past. You don't even need to wax the car after paint protection is applied. Best investment "mods" I've ever made to a car.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more ! In addition to covering the front, rockers, mirrors and doors (the doors of my previous cars gave the appearance that I drive alongside salt trucks all day long) with Xpel, I also had the fuel door covered as I too (over)thought about the 'abuse' the door would undergo over its life, being pressed to open......that you cannot tell a difference in appearance between the fuel door (wrapped) and rear quarter panel (not wrapped) is a testament to the beauty of the Xpel product. So, to eliminate the thoughts that cause you to digress, simply have the fuel door wrapped....my installer did it when I picked it up to satisfy my afterthought...no extra charge...

Quick Reply: Fuel Door doesn't always open when pressed