Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Fuel Door Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Door Won't Open

My fuel door won't unlock despite unlocking and locking the car several times.
Found the "emergency release" red pull thingy (another long story) and it wouldn't budge.
Took the positive lead off the battery for 15+ minutes and still wouldn't unlock (after replacing positive lead)

Any ideas??

TIA
Old 06-24-2015, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you gotten someone on the outside of the car to push in on the door while you pull the emergency release?
Old 06-24-2015, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yep...that didn't seem to help either.
That plastic 'string' seems really, really flimsy and I'm really afraid it'll snap off way up inside the fender if I pull it too hard.
I also tried to jerk it real hard versus slowly building the force up and that didn't help either.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmgard58
Yep...that didn't seem to help either.
That plastic 'string' seems really, really flimsy and I'm really afraid it'll snap off way up inside the fender if I pull it too hard.
I also tried to jerk it real hard versus slowly building the force up and that didn't help either.
Is your car a 2012 model? If it is, I had the same problem with the 2012 model. Just call the dealer and they can fix it no problem. Mine was missing the emergency string from the trunk. So that was quite embarrassing for Audi Korea to try and explain to me after 1 week of ownership why the car had missing parts.

Edited:
The service manager told me the latch on the gas door malfunctioned and got stuck. Some similar problems from around the world with the 2012 model. Not sure if that was true or not.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry about that... it's a 2013. (I posted the original post from my phone and I suppose it doesn't have my signature line )

Further Update: The manual says to pull the cable until you feel resistance and then press on the filler door. I did that to no avail.

BTW: If you ever decide to take the positive lead off of the battery, don't shut the trunk. Had to use the manual key to get in the drivers door, reach around and open the back door, drop the back seats, crawl into the trunk to activate the emergency lever to open the trunk in order to re-connect the battery. Luckily I kept my calm and avoided my first thought of calling the roll-back
Old 06-24-2015, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

My gas door won't open for a while after I wash car. Guess the water or soap residue interferes with something. Try compressed air maybe in case something is interfering to blow it out?
Also, I helped someone with a stuck mercedez gas cap door other day at gas station. Also a push to open style. All door needed was alot of very fast back and forth pushing and it eventually unlatched and popped open. Worth a try maybe?
Old 06-25-2015, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Had the same issue.

Posted it on this forum a few months ago. It was easily fixed and attributed some electrical fault if I recall correctly.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default At the Service Shop

Tried pressing and releasing the door a number of different ways and speeds. Also tried pulling emergency release while pressing button while pressing fuel door.
Nothing worked.

Mechanic said solenoid was bad and that he felt I didn't cause the failure...they had one in stock and I'm on my way to the beach.

Thanks for all of your help!!
Old 06-25-2015, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgard58
Tried pressing and releasing the door a number of different ways and speeds. Also tried pulling emergency release while pressing button while pressing fuel door.
Nothing worked.

Mechanic said solenoid was bad and that he felt I didn't cause the failure...they had one in stock and I'm on my way to the beach.

Thanks for all of your help!!
Seems to be a spate of these in the last few weeks, this is about the sixth I have heard about. Mine failed about a month ago and I had to get Audi Assist (get 3 years roadside cover here in the UK) out to deal with it. The quick fix is to use a plastic object such as a ruler to force open the filler flap (from the left hand side) following which the filler flap cannot be locked or close flush, but the actual fix is to replace the rear part of the filler assembly, the "black" piece. Basically when the solenoid fails it stops the plunger from rotating (the rotating action when you press it is what locks and releases it from the flap. Fortunately mine failed a matter of days before the warranty expired or I might not have been so happy also I was not miles from home on a filling station forecourt with the low fuel warning flashing on red (did you know it does that when it decides you are running on fumes?) and in desperate hurry to get to a meeting!
Old 06-26-2015, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gas cover on my 2013 A6 had the same problem as described. My Audi dealer replaced the Solenoid and that cured the problem. Audi has released a new, updated solenoid to replace the one you have and it's covered under warantee.

Quick Reply: Fuel Door Won't Open