Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Got a T-Mobile letter in Washington DC area.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a T-Mobile letter in Washington DC area.

Received the letter in may 2016, informing me that the service is going to be downgraded to 2g on June 27th
I have an active subscription paid in advance. A6 C7 2012 Audi certified until 2018.
Called AoA in May, no solution until now, they say that because I am a second owner. I bought the car under warranty and additionally the certified thing. Well, looks like I am a second class owner. 2 days ago started the 2G in my car. Think twice before buying Audi Certified.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eduany
Received the letter in may 2016, informing me that the service is going to be downgraded to 2g on June 27th
I have an active subscription paid in advance. A6 C7 2012 Audi certified until 2018.
Called AoA in May, no solution until now, they say that because I am a second owner. I bought the car under warranty and additionally the certified thing. Well, looks like I am a second class owner. 2 days ago started the 2G in my car. Think twice before buying Audi Certified.

Hi eduany. I was the second owner of my A6, got the T-Mobile letter regarding the network upgrade in my area and was able to have Audi do the update for free with no issues. I just called and told them that I had an active T-Mobile subscription under my name, they verified that and then scheduled me for the work with no problems.

I do know that the active T-Mobile subscription has to be in your name and can't be the one that was transferred from the previous owner. However, since you got the letter then I assume that was not the case and therefore should have had no issues with getting the modem update.

I believe that this can be done outside of warranty coverage, though I am not sure since my 2013 A6 is still under the original warranty. I was told that the work is not being charged to AoA like all other warranty work, but to T-Mobile as they are picking up the charge. Though it could be that it goes to AoA first and then T-Mobile.

Even if the original warranty expired, I would think that the extended warranty given to you through the Audi certification should be enough for the modem update. The only other thing that I could think would be wrong is if the T-Mobile subscription isn't in your name?

Something doesn't seem right here and AoA should be allowing you to have the modem update done for free just like everyone else who has come across this issue. Maybe you need to find a way to escalate this? They have been doing this work now for over a year, so I don't understand why they are not allowing it for you?

Good luck...
Old 06-29-2016, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi of Arlington performed the T-Mobile modem module update and whatnot for me several months ago. I am a certified pre-owned owner as well.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by briedfox
Hi eduany. I was the second owner of my A6, got the T-Mobile letter regarding the network upgrade in my area and was able to have Audi do the update for free with no issues. I just called and told them that I had an active T-Mobile subscription under my name, they verified that and then scheduled me for the work with no problems.

I do know that the active T-Mobile subscription has to be in your name and can't be the one that was transferred from the previous owner. However, since you got the letter then I assume that was not the case and therefore should have had no issues with getting the modem update.

I believe that this can be done outside of warranty coverage, though I am not sure since my 2013 A6 is still under the original warranty. I was told that the work is not being charged to AoA like all other warranty work, but to T-Mobile as they are picking up the charge. Though it could be that it goes to AoA first and then T-Mobile.

Even if the original warranty expired, I would think that the extended warranty given to you through the Audi certification should be enough for the modem update. The only other thing that I could think would be wrong is if the T-Mobile subscription isn't in your name?

Something doesn't seem right here and AoA should be allowing you to have the modem update done for free just like everyone else who has come across this issue. Maybe you need to find a way to escalate this? They have been doing this work now for over a year, so I don't understand why they are not allowing it for you?

Good luck...
Yes, the subscription is under my name and the letter also of course. Thank you for your response, we will see what happens. By the way, the Audi certified warranty expires in 2018.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

from what they told me yesterday.. you have to call T-mobile and request to be approved for the upgrade. Just because you have an account doesn't guarantee it. The requirements they explained to me.

You must be the original owner of the vehicle
You must have had an up to date account with T-mobile since purchase of the car.

After you've been "Approved" for the upgrade, they will send you a 2nd letter stating it's approved.

This letter is to be taken to your Audi Dealer, they will order the parts/install them, at no cost to you.

Welcome to your 3G service Again (I asked why the hell not 4G!!!)
Old 08-17-2016, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rush2112
from what they told me yesterday.. you have to call T-mobile and request to be approved for the upgrade. Just because you have an account doesn't guarantee it. The requirements they explained to me.

You must have had an up to date account with T-mobile since purchase of the car.

After you've been "Approved" for the upgrade, they will send you a 2nd letter stating it's approved.

This letter is to be taken to your Audi Dealer, they will order the parts/install them, at no cost to you.

That's strange. My upgrade was performed via a conversation with AoA in which they approved it and sent me a letter confirming it a week or so later. This was well before anyone else got the letter. Audi of Arlington confirmed with me that I was the first in the area to get it (performed on 10/5/2015). It had nothing to do with T-Mobile nor have I ever had t-Mobile; still using ATT to this day. I am not the original owner either..

Last edited by sysdaemon; 08-17-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have previously posted on this topic. I'm a CPO owner without an active AC account. I was looking to get AT&T on 3G in the car. I had activated the AC to get the upgrade, but they had trouble processing it since I had the old modem. They told me to get the upgrade, then they could activate the account. I said will the dealership know? They told me they would talk to the dealership if it was an issue.

I had a lot of other issues as a result of the upgrade...but I think I blame the dealership for that. One perk is that I just realized I had my maps updated.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

There have been several folks on the forums that have had the modem update done so long as at the time of the update install there was a valid T-Mo subscription (even if only for a month). Also, there have been reports of second owners getting it done or as above, no T-Mo sub at all or out of the OEM warranty. Unless something has changed, it appears that it has been hit or miss depending on the dealer.

Last edited by snagitseven; 08-17-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed...try the dealer again.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Perhaps things have changed slightly in the meantime, but this doesn't make a lot of sense. While T-Mobile does provide the actual connectivity, they don't manage Audi connect directly. Audi connect is managed by RacoWireless, a global machine-to-machine (M2M) service provider. They deal with T-Mobile and AT&T and administer all the Audi connect accounts, support and related tasks. So, if anything you would have to call RacoWireless. They are the ones picking up the phone if you call the dedicate Audi connect support number.

Seems to be that dealerships and SAs are not very well informed about this subject and even Audi Customer Support seems to be hit or miss.

Quick Reply: Got a T-Mobile letter in Washington DC area.