Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

H&R Street Coil over versus Sway Bar upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default H&R Street Coil over versus Sway Bar upgrade

Started research on upgrading suspension and obtained pricing from Bay Area location for my 2013 A6 Premium Plus with 15k miles:
1). H&R Street coil over - about $2500 parts/labor
2). Bilstein P2210 Kit with adjustable rebound - about $3500 parts/labor - seems a bit much so not really even considering
3). Front/Rear sway bars - about $1000 parts/labor

Recommendation is that if I go with Option 1, I wouldn't need to go with Option 3 Sway bars.

Basically I don't want to damage my overall ride quality, but I would like to feel some improved road handling, especially when going around corners.
Anyone out there debate similar improvements and if so, what did you go with?
Some reading on H&R street coil overs on google/blogs reveal that occasionally there are failures with the product, but they are warrantied. So that has me a bit concerned. I can't imagine that the Sway bars would ever fail, but they would improve road handling so I'm leaning towards just the sway bars.

Lowering the car 1" to 2" with the coil overs only has me concerned about scraping the front in parking lots (do it enough already with OEM height).

I've been told that doing any of this work won't void any of the Audi warranty, which is ideal.

Any wisdom appreciated.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say with Audis but my experience with my previous Lexus GS was that sway bars really helped the car become much flatter in corners and with entrance and exit ramps. Very noticeable improvement. I later put coil overs and lowered the car 1" and the ride became noticeably harsher without that much more improvement in cornering. I would recommend starting with better sways before moving to coil overs.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that an upgraded sway bar will add to the harshness. However it was more like "make the car stiffer" on expansion joints and potholes. And it will also yield in flatter cornering. However, I too would like to hear some reviews from user who have installed it.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What kind of sway bars are you looking at and do you plan to use rubber or polyurethane bushings?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The brief communication with the company that I'd be buying the sway bars from (and having them installed) didn't quote the manufacturer of the sway bars. If Stasis were still an active company, I probably would be using theirs (although they might be a 3rd party's). Do you know if there are any sway bars that I should stay away from, or any that you particularly recommend. As far as bushings, etc, I'd be leaving that in the arms of the installer to recommend to me as my mechanical knowledge of cars is ZERO.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed Stasis rear sway bar about 6 months ago. Dramatic improvement in cornering ability. Got rid of the fat A__ syndrome.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I assume your A6 didn't have the factory sport suspension?
Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, car is Premium Plus with Sport. But from what I understand, the thickness of the sway bar can still be increased to improve handling. If I'm wrong, definitely open to correction.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have H&R street coil overs on my 2012 C7 A6 prestige with OE 20" that had stock sport suspension

If you don't want to effect your overall ride quality at all, then don't get coil overs. I like the H&R's and would not go back to stock, but you certainly do lose some of the ride quality (smoothness) and it is considerably noticeable on bad roads. All things, all roads, and all conditions considered, I would say they are about 85% as comfortable as stock.

Another thing with the H&R is that the rear adjustment only lets you go so high, so you might be forced to be lower than you want. I tuck my rear tires just a tad and can only go up maybe another 1/8".

But with the coil overs and some wheel spacers on the stock 20's, not much better looking sedan on the road
Attached Images  

Last edited by MikeDwerks; 07-09-2014 at 03:22 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aftermarket rear sway bars have been discussed a good bit on the S6 forum. See the following 2 posts:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...light=sway+bar
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...light=sway+bar

Quick Reply: H&R Street Coil over versus Sway Bar upgrade